Voxel Doom Releasing Today

A-MA-ZING!!! :D

But the best part is that it seems to work with Freedoom too! This way, I can enjoy the mod without even needing DOOM.wad.

I guess the only shortcoming is in regard to mapsets that feature custom monsters. Then again, I suppose it cannot look worse than playing Ion Fury, which sprite-based bestiary does feature a couple of voxel enemies.

Edited by Rudolph

hopefully this means that it will become more natural to play maps in gzdoom that uses voxels :-)

1) Download this mod and run it with your favorite map
2) In mouselook, aim up and fire a rocket
3) Profit

Seriously though, these are some great looking models :) While I may not entirely understand the appeal of voxels in general I appreciate and am intrigued by the quality of this mod. Awesome work!

If I use the newest GzDoom, what are the best settings to use?

I use Vulkan and TrueColor Software Render. Anything else I should pay attention to?

6 hours ago, Rudolph said:

I guess the only shortcoming is in regard to mapsets that feature custom monsters

A bit odd to refer to it as a "shortcoming", don't you think? Anyone downloading this expecting it to magically voxelize every custom sprite out there has only their own lack of knowledge to blame. I'm sorry, but I just don't understand why something so obvious even needs to be stated.

Had a great stream dedicated to showing off this mod and messing around with it, thanks to @Wilster_Wonkels, @Doomkid, @Snaxalotl and @Clippy for joining me!  Have to say we were all really impressed by how well these were done and the incredible amount of work it must have taken.  By using GZDoom to freeze and slow down time and fly around we were able to get really good looks at all the demons and all their frames of animation, and some of them were pretty mindblowing, especially the huge boss monsters and their explosions.  Works great with freelook especially to see everything from above and below, no more cardboard enemies!  A lot of the decorations were really cool too.  I unfortunately didn't look at a lot of hell decorations until late in the stream but some of the stuff like the hanging dudes twitching was really cool!

We also had some really juvenile fun with posing stuff as you can see from the thumbnail LOL.  It was actually really fun to play around with all these cool models using all those GZDoom commands.  I think the only thing I thought about from a critical perspective was that some of the corpse poses looked a bit off in proportion, but some of that is just not having seen their corpses from different angles before.  I can see you did a great job extrapolating their positions based on their standing sprites, but I thought the pinky torso and legs in particular could be a bit bulkier on the ground.  But it's hard to say, since again I've only seen them in sprite form, so some of it has to do more about what feels right than what might actually be more accurate, perhaps.

Other than that minor gripe, this is a pretty incredible mod that many folks have been waiting a long time for, and definitely earned the publicity it's getting from gaming sites!  Awesome work, and I think you may have already teased some work on Doom 2... of course no pressure at this point, but you pulled this off and I'm sure many of us would be quite excited to see that full Doom 2 support :)))  Thanks again!

Chillo didn't disappoint with this release. Since I am a Quake fan as well, I am a bit sad he had to stop his Q1 modelling activities for this, but seeing the result of his hard work, I have to concede it was worth it, without a doubt. 

Thanks a lot for finally giving Doom the voxels it deserves! (Silently hoping more ports than just GZDoom will eventually support this in some way, without intending to ask for too much.)

Edited by NightFright

16 hours ago, A Handsome Fridge said:

1) Download this mod and run it with your favorite map
2) In mouselook, aim up and fire a rocket
3) Profit

This has to be addressed by GZDoom, which I already have, as of 24 days ago ( https://github.com/ZDoom/gzdoom/commit/351a4c9a5af6bb80f98c1a5cc8cb1c85cd435e1c ), unfortunately Voxel Doom has to target the current official release of GZDoom which is 4.8.2, so the rocket pitch fix didn't make it in.

Goes without saying but this will no longer be a problem when the next version of both GZDoom and Voxel Doom releases

Edited by Nash

Also, we talked about this on my livestream prior to the mod's release, but with regards to objects (decorations) facing the wrong way - this will be addressed with a future update to Voxel Doom - GZDoom has a "LevelPostProcessor" system which Build engine fans know as "map hacks" - these are just ZScript files that allow one to modify the original IWAD levels without actually distributing edited .WADs. We (as in, me and Cheello, or perhaps even external contributors) would have to go through every single map in UDB, take note of the Thing Number to fix, then copy/paste a few short lines of code to fix the Thing's facing angle.

It'll be a long manual process, we'll probably start talking more about it when we actually start doing it - currently we're both busy elsewhere...

27 minutes ago, Nash said:

This has to be addressed by GZDoom, which I already have, as of 24 days ago ( https://github.com/ZDoom/gzdoom/commit/351a4c9a5af6bb80f98c1a5cc8cb1c85cd435e1c ), unfortunately Voxel Doom has to target the current official release of GZDoom which is 4.8.2, so the rocket pitch fix didn't make it in.

Goes without saying but this will no longer be a problem when the next version of both GZDoom and Voxel Doom releases

That makes sense! Good that it's being worked on (even though it will be less funny ;))

On 8/17/2022 at 1:59 PM, DevilMyEyes said:

I wonder what Romero would think of this

Why don't you ask him via private message?

4 hours ago, NightFright said:

Thanks a lot for finally giving Doom the voxels it deserves! (Silently hoping more ports than just GZDoom will eventually support this in some way, without intending to ask for too much.)

I'm not a programmer by any means, but I think you are asking for too much, even for Boom/MBF compatible source ports. GZDoom is basically a new engine. On the other hand, this is casual stuff (pretty cool and I appreciate the effort that went into it), so az GZ, meaning you won't record complevel demos with it, hence it wouldn't really make sense to make it available for DSDA/Pr+/Woof (not even mentioning Crispy, which is way more out of the question).

Edited by Fluuschoen

Amazing contribution to the community and Doom. The voxel models works perfectly with the rest of the games aesthetics.

Every thought about making the weapons view sprites voxels?

2 hours ago, Fluuschoen said:

I'm not a programmer by any means, but I think you are asking for too much, even for Boom/MBF compatible source ports. GZDoom is basically a new engine. On the other hand, this is casual stuff (pretty cool and I appreciate the effort that went into it), so az GZ, meaning you won't record complevel demos with it, hence it wouldn't really make sense to make it available for DSDA/Pr+/Woof (not even mentioning Crispy, which is way more out of the question).

Yeah, but it was more like wishful thinking, anyway. Some ports are entitled to having cool stuff that won't work anywhere else. Ports like Woof! are aiming for different goals and would probably rather feel overburdened with bonus features such as voxel support. As cool as it would be in theory, admittedly.

This is absolutely awful because now, when mapping, I actually need to angle things like medikits, stimpacks and ammo properly.

Now (obvious sarcasm aside) I must say this looks great and feels very natural to the game, unlike so many 3D models created

over the years. Cacodemon seemed a bit weird to me, though I haven´t played too much with the voxels yet, and pinky attack
animation bit goofy, but the original sprite does as well to me, so that is a ME issue.

Those are just my personal feelings though and other than that I think this is a "Nightdive studio remaster" level stuff.
Looking forward to Doom 2 assets and hopefully a DSDA version.

Please This is ok or I have something bad ? GzDoom 4.8.2

otherwise great work

1229269819_BaseProfileScreenshot2022_08.18-20_29_22_60.jpg.f934a40a4fce22ede0d5642ce33d0d0c.jpg

Edited by Marcelus

37 minutes ago, Marcelus said:

Please This is ok or I have something bad ? GzDoom 4.8.2

otherwise great work

1229269819_BaseProfileScreenshot2022_08.18-20_29_22_60.jpg.f934a40a4fce22ede0d5642ce33d0d0c.jpg

Looks fine to me if you mean the candelabra.

34 minutes ago, Marcelus said:

why this  position? But ok...

Because they are positioned in the map like that.

2D sprites always rotate with player´s view so the angle of those doesn´t matter.
As I joked before, now that these are practically 3D models, the angle they have does matter.
This is why monsters are always angled the right way, since monsters have (and always had) sprites for all the angles

and are placed in maps with that in mind.

Edited by Shawny