Why doesn't my door work? When I press the use key the texture only goes up and down. All the previous doors worked fine.

the b

Question

16 answers to this question

You probably have walls around that door that have the same ceiling height as the floor. Just delete those walls. Doors always go to 4 units below the lowest adjacent ceiling, even if that means that they have to move down.

2 hours ago, boris said:

You probably have walls around that door that have the same ceiling height as the floor. Just delete those walls. Doors always go to 4 units below the lowest adjacent ceiling, even if that means that they have to move down.

I don't seem to have any walls but I could be wrong. I can send you a link to the wad if you can check?

14 minutes ago, the b said:

I don't seem to have any walls but I could be wrong. I can send you a link to the wad if you can check?

Is your door itself composed of multiple sectors? That would throw it in regular Doom, and I assume UDMF copies that behaviour.

There's probably ways to have it fixed somehow.

No the door is only one sector. I also noticed I used shift+d to make the door but there are no track textures on the sides.

I can it looks like instant movement, which suggests target is in the wrong direction. However my knowledge of UDMF is insufficient to guess how that happened.

This is just a guess but is it possible there's room over room stuff causing the issue? It looks like a similar area of the map that's above another door based on playing your recently posted wad. That could definitely cause issues in some cases. I have no real experience with anything newer than Boom though so I don't really know much about how those features work.

35 minutes ago, Lucius Wooding said:

This is just a guess but is it possible there's room over room stuff causing the issue? It looks like a similar area of the map that's above another door based on playing your recently posted wad. That could definitely cause issues in some cases. I have no real experience with anything newer than Boom though so I don't really know much about how those features work.

No there are no 3D floors except that bridge above the door that leads to the brown area.

Also I fixed the majority of issues you mentioned for the map.

Edited by the b

Also when I press use it doesn't make any sound but when it resets back it makes the sound of door closing.

Wasn't expecting that to be a video download, heh.

And yeah, the fact that the door shifted downwards first when you used it signifies that there's either a bit of ceiling adjacent to that sector that's lower than the door itself or a slip-up in the generalized door action (seeing as you're mapping in UDMF). A link to the map in question would go a long way towards confirmation.

You want to make sure the adjacent sectors are not causing issues, including 3D floors. To create a 3D floor, you flip the ceiling and floor values. As a result, doors can get buggy near or under them.

Also, make sure the sectors surrounding the door don't have a low ceiling. Everything around the door needs to be either correct height or empty sector. Door almost always raises towards nearest and lowest ceiling.

2 hours ago, Dexiaz said:

You need to learn more about making maps. Here goes the fixed version of your map:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/02zlpj8d25vi1wx/Door+STUCK+fix.wad/file

Check clearly the differences between your version and fixed version. Maybe this will help you to get what's going on.

Thanks. 

Why is it when i drew the door lines everything inside the black box activated?

2 minutes ago, Doomdude89 said:

Why is it when i drew the door lines everything inside the black box activated?

Because there is a bigger area you made outside the box. Eh, sorry, I'm not able to explain this on english. Just read more mapping manuals and don't forget to delete sectors which doesn't move at all (colums, building walls, etc)