'95 Never Dies CP [Full!]

3 minutes ago, Yumheart said:

the combat feels more relaxed overall than in the original E3M2 and I feel like the ammo distribution is too generous (I was flushed with rockets after picking up the key by the wooden pillars and I never felt like I had to use them)

Thanks for feedback! I'm gonna cut on rockets

Just showing that it is in Progress, i am a bit slow :)
Don't ask what i am doing down there, it will make Sense, it did cost me many Brain Cells, thats why the actual Map is spartanic^^

e1m8scr.PNG.b46328e29c53c6d2150057843e0741a6.PNG

On 6/19/2023 at 4:24 PM, The Kingslayer said:

Hey y'all, how's the project going? Any open slots that haven't been updated yet? Looks like... something happened with E2M8 but I dunno what.

lokbustam is planning to redo E2M8. Everything is currently taken but there are a couple people who haven't updated since signing up. So, potential slots opening up soon!

• 2 weeks later...

Here's E2M1: Lunar Abnormality. It's based off of the original's layout a bit. I do have quite a few original areas, including a slime section and computer area. This isn't the best thing I've ever made, so any feedback would be great. I was having a hard time making it fun when limited to an easy slot and Doom 1's monsters. I'm spoiled by late megawad slot Doom 2 mapping lol. Please give criticism, tell me what I can improve, thanks.

DOWNLOAD:

here

17 hours ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

Here's E2M1: Lunar Abnormality. It's based off of the original's layout a bit. I do have quite a few original areas, including a slime section and computer area. This isn't the best thing I've ever made, so any feedback would be great. I was having a hard time making it fun when limited to an easy slot and Doom 1's monsters. I'm spoiled by late megawad slot Doom 2 mapping lol. Please give criticism, tell me what I can improve, thanks.

This is a cool map but it needs some more work, it's honestly easier than the original E2M1. Some suggestions:
- put in some blocking obstacles or just make the rooms smaller. Most of the areas are somewhat overscaled and there aren't enough monsters to fill the space
- traps are fun, but also not very dangerous. Reducing the space and placing more monsters would help (Pinkies are great at pressuring the player for space)
- I was able to run past everything from the slime room onward and head for the exit straightaway. It might help to make the path forward less linear, meaning you'd have to revisit areas and be more encouraged to take monsters out. Also there are way too many Pinkies in the slime room for just the shotgun, I don't think there's anything wrong with an early RL in this case.

still, I like how this map looks and I think it has potential :)

Sorry for the delay, had trouble with a weird bug where the game would crash when stepping on a certain sector. This is a pretty close reimagining of E4M2, full of tight squeezes and wonky Baron usage (just like in the original). I wouldn't be surprised if this turned out too hard for a Doom 1 cp, so I'm definitely open to feedback. This was tested in LZDoom and ChocoRenderLimits, enjoy!

shots:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20230613_124042.png.3dc02a384d8c902576ff23fc8db3cfe6.pngScreenshot_Doom_20230613_124142.png.a786eaa6e1b6d0a81fefd8be986f1aa4.png

(UPDATE: accidentally removed a soulsphere before I uploaded this, which makes the map unnecessarily cruel)
v2:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pA5HKmhy4eBGDZjip4IpJ0MNa-djqKVs/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Yumheart

8 hours ago, Yumheart said:

still, I like how this map looks and I think it has potential :)

Thanks for playing Yumheart! I appreciate the feedback, something was definitely wack but I wasn't sure what it was. I think the layout needs a lot of work. I'll try some stuff out, maybe it needs to have some more height variation / objectives. Oh also I give a Berserk for the pinkies, it would be pretty lame with just a shotgun. I'll work on it some more this weekend, cheers!

@magicsofa

wjHwSZw.png

-e1: As it stands now, this is the exit i built. If it is possible I would like the final text screen to reflect this in that doom guy only found an other portal to hell after killing the spider demon.

ezgif-2-7b8e22aa0e.gif.9997fcd23b264ced93a2dea386f82077.gif

Edited by NeedHealth

I tried to work with the source material in e4m8 to create a final area for the s-m but I couldnt make it work. So it will be completely new. Also, here is the final teleporter.

SW8oW.gif

The final area is 99% done. I will now work on difficulty settings and eventually some sort of multiplayer.

VNwJZ2u.png

posting images in this thread keeps me motivated.

Edited by NeedHealth

44 minutes ago, NeedHealth said:

The final area is 99% done. I will now work on difficulty settings and eventually some sort of multiplayer.

VNwJZ2u.png

posting images in this thread keeps me motivated.

looking pleasing :>

Thanks for the updates all, I'm still here! Recently my living situation went from stable, to where-the-hell-are-we-going-to-live, then finally landed the deal of a lifetime. I have been playing through the maps and things are really shaping up! More detailed feedback is coming down the pipe!

@Yumheart E2M8 is all yours

@NeedHealth New maps are what this project is all about! It's a take a nugget of inspiration and run with it kind of assignment, NOT recreate an existing map.

On that note, I realized while playing through the maps that E3M1 missed the mark on that, it's basically just a recreation. And since E3M9 also copied it, we have two maps in E3 that are majorly hated for being so-so maps that people love to copy over and over. I'm not entirely sure what to do about this since @Worriedidiot submitted the map a long time ago and it was accepted by a previous leader. And later, @lokbustam257 worked off of their map. It would be awkward to change the first map without also changing the secret... although M9 is so burned into our brains that it almost wouldn't matter. Thoughts anyone?

Still need an update from the following people:

On 5/24/2023 at 1:42 PM, magicsofa said:

Apparently I haven't posted any screenshots during this whole thread, so to not lose track of this project again I'll start doing what NeedHealth is doing too.

Spoiler

image.png?width=868&height=671

image.png?width=840&height=671

All enemies gibbed for her pleasure screenshot purposes.

18 hours ago, magicsofa said:

On that note, I realized while playing through the maps that E3M1 missed the mark on that, it's basically just a recreation.

Well uhh I'd be down to whip up something new if it needs to be done.

Also I kinda just forgot I even made something for this 'cause I submitted my map 2 years ago :P

19 hours ago, magicsofa said:

It would be awkward to change the first map without also changing the secret... although M9 is so burned into our brains that it almost wouldn't matter. Thoughts anyone?

I think that the original E3M9 gimmick being that "it's actually the exact same map does it?". So if Worriedidiot would rework their map, I don't think it wouldn't matter considering the flow and layout of E3M1 and E3M9 feels very different from each other. And we can also consider E3M9 as a twisted version of the original E3M9 from 93.

Spoiler

or, you know, i could retexture the new E3M1 and change the layout a bit ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

10 hours ago, Worriedidiot said:

Well uhh I'd be down to whip up something new if it needs to be done.

Also I kinda just forgot I even made something for this 'cause I submitted my map 2 years ago :P

If you want to! I'm sure your perspective has changed in that time :)  also, I think the original idea was not really communicated firmly enough resulting in several people thinking that it was a recreate-from-memory or similar project. So, if you want to take this slot in a whole new direction then have at it! Let your imagination run wild, with just a nugget of inspiration from the original. It could literally just be the name Hell Keep, or the soundtrack, a small chunk of the level (like, turn the beginning lift area into the entire map), or some ridiculous stretch of logic that most people won't recognize.

@lokbustam257 I do think your M9 stands on its own, it is recognizable but very different in terms of combat and of course visuals. I'm happy to leave it as it is, regardless of the state of M1

@magicsofa

Map: E4M8

Author: NeedHealth

Name: Hope's Utter Absence

Midi: Padlock by Zan-Zan-Zawa-Veia

Playtime: About 15 minutes.

Tested in: Chockorenderlimits and dsda.

Difficulties: Yes, all supported (itytd/h,ntr: 170 | hmp: 190 | uv: 200).

Multiplayer: Yes supported with extra monsters and ammunition but untested.

Deathmatch: Yes, supported in separate area but untested.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/0suv5quhpcrsnqe533v8o/nh_d95nd_V1.7z?rlkey=uhxklfnzkdyrrcvym2evdim94&dl=0

Please record a demo of some kind if you play this map!

(dropbox did something with their links,  they used to be shorter - if it dosn't work please tell me)

Edited by NeedHealth

Hello, the reworked version of the original E2M9 remake is now done. Like the original 1993 E2M9, this map is pretty short and has the same gimmick: Monster infighting with each other, which according to Sandy Peterson (and my personal opinion), is a really cool and neat feature. The map is quite stressful on UV, but manageable on HMP and lower.

Name: Mountain of Hatred

MAP: E2M9

Author: lokbustam257

MIDI: Cookie Fangs by Cammy (From Ultimate MIDI Pack)

Difficulty settings: Supported, yes

CO-OP: Player starts only

Deathmatch: No, but perhaps will be in the future

Tested in: Chocorenderlimits 1.5

Download:

95ND_E2M9.zip

Edited by lokbustam257
change the map name to (hopefully) something better

• 2 weeks later...

Finally getting around to reviewing the newest batch of submissions/edits!

E2M1 @Dusty_Rhodes:

Spoiler

Another map that is suspiciously similar to the original at first, but quickly switches it up. The grandiose style makes this feel like it's from an alternate timeline where 90s maps were more polished. Nice!

I thought the nukage room with demons in between the columns was too easy. The room is too big for them to be a threat... there could be some more monsters standing already in the perimeter, and/or some closets to give this area more pressure. Otherwise the combat was pretty solid. The switch for the plasma secret was really easy to find, but then I kept running up and trying Use, thinking maybe the line wasn't tagged right :). I guess when I see a switch over nukage I assume that I'm supposed to take damage for pressing it, rather than shoot it. Maybe this should be harder to get to?

E2M9 @lokbustam257:

Spoiler

Great run-for-the-ammo rollercoaster. Overall it was kind of a power trip which was fun, but then it was too easy to skip the final battle? If there were more forces hard-blocking the exit, it would prevent me from just running through the entire map. Also in the red key room, it's easy to hide behind the short rock wall while the barons corral themselves in:

DOOM14.png.dbcffd523d8eb82f25f60daee247823b.png 

E3M2 @SilverMiner

Spoiler

For an IWAD map that is also notorious for its remakes, I think this one works quite well despite being instantly recognizable. The scale is very different, and the exploration is more open-ended. I tend to run ahead if there's room, so I ended up with a big wad of monsters pooled in one spot. You might consider some teleport lines or other ways for monsters to un-stuck themselves, but in general the combat was fun. Also congratulations on creating the ugliest texture combination (you know what I'm talking about)

E3M6 @Aku

Spoiler

SORRY it took me so long to try this version! This map is crazy and I like it. It has a bizarre Wolf3d + Strife kind of vibe... it almost feels like this is just DemonTown and we're passing through and slightly lost. I still think that the green marble area is just too much green. You can't even see the pillars until you walk up to them:

DOOM18.png.4a3617b1cb76d9e1d137e435ce128324.png This is begging for a large floor/ceiling feature, something dark or maybe even a pool of water.  Also, there is a bug with this midtexture in vanilla, it must be one of the forbidden (i.e. multi-patch) textures: DOOM17.png.9ee5af574a2b756368721b85c9c9d7ed.png

Well that's all I have time for tonight, still E4M2 and E4M8 to do hopefully tomorrow.

E4M2 @Yumheart

Spoiler

Brutal, as expected. I don't think it's too hard for skill 4/5, but the monster density should definitely be reduced for the lower difficulties (I didn't try it so maybe you did already). Inside the blue door, the lava pit is inescapable and doesn't do damage. Also, the final switch before the exit doesn't work... it's set to "lower to highest" which would stop at the highest floor out of all adjacent sectors, which would be the sector in the cybie closet. So I didn't actually play that part yet...

DOOM20.png.408eb1947204f7d3ce6d5dead18c5a82.png

E4M8 @NeedHealth

Spoiler

It's a well crafted map... but the pacing is a little strange. It felt like the middle of the map was more epic than the end. The final battle wasn't bad, but it was kinda easy and short in comparison to the first two key hunts. I didn't mind in a way because there was a lot to do before that point, and I was kinda thinking "let's get to the point already." Plus the arena for it is more dark and cramped than the rest of the map. It's not necessarily bad, just odd to have all this buildup come before it. I think it would help if the key quests didn't take as long to complete, such as by making the plasma weapons accessible earlier on (I didn't find any secrets so maybe they are?).

There are a few textures that bug out in vanilla because they are offset or repeating when not 64 units tall:

DOOM22.png.9e9d0c23350c08417a112549910e0353.pngDOOM23.png.1a1ad4d91088dff3c2c984b470d960de.png

Edited by magicsofa

@magicsofa This design is what happens when you do a map in batches, not as a collective whole and then assemble them. The general design will probably stay, I settled early on a semi linear map as the last map with few secrets as I wanted the player to focus on just getting through. I think I forgot to add a secret in the version i posted here because I flipp-flopped between the starting sector and the end dito.

Also, in the last fight if you play on uv you fight against three cyberdemons (and 1 hell knight) after killing the spiderdemon. I hope you didnt mean you found that too easy! :-P  I could always teleport a few more in... .

I'll fix the erroneous textures and and think about the other issues you mentioned.

Thanks for playing my map!

On 8/3/2023 at 4:27 PM, NeedHealth said:

Also, in the last fight if you play on uv you fight against three cyberdemons (and 1 hell knight) after killing the spiderdemon. I hope you didnt mean you found that too easy! :-P  I could always teleport a few more in...

Haha, no, it wasn't too easy, but I did get them to infight a bit and I found a spot to take cover for what felt like the first time in the level. Spideys go down fast and I didn't bother killing the cybs... so even though it wasn't easy, it slightly felt like it in comparison to the rest of the map which was constant pressure. It was also a more controlled environment, kind of a puzzle-boss if you will, while in the rest of the map the monsters have more freedom to roam. Again, not inherently bad, just oddly placed. I would have expected a more open and wild boss fight, which occupies the majority of the time spent in the map. Instead it's like 90% wading through a regular E4 slaughter and then 10% boss

3 hours ago, lokbustam257 said:

@magicsofa I'll look into it, thanks for playing! by the way, by you mean "final battle", you mean the one inside the fortress? 

Yes, you can just grab the yellow key and bounce without killing anything. If some of those barons were inside the yellow door instead it would help to make this more of a threatening situation.