'95 Never Dies CP [Full!]

37 minutes ago, Yumheart said:

@magicsofa don't wanna be annoying but somebody still has to test my e3m3 :^)

That's really weird, I distinctly remember playing this. I'm not sure if I just didn't finish it, or didn't finish writing the post about it and forgot?? Anyway I'll give it another go and definitely post about it this time :)

12 minutes ago, finnks13 said:

hello, I quite fancy giving e2m6 a go, though I feel I should check about what level of difficulty are you aiming for? similar to the IWAD slot, a bit or much harder?

I'm not being too specific about difficulty... aim for "modern medium" which would mean, UV should be challenging but not impossible for experienced (not godlike) doomers. So definitely tougher than the original, but not ultra hard or slaughter-esque.

1 minute ago, magicsofa said:

I'm not being too specific about difficulty... aim for "modern medium" which would mean, UV should be challenging but not impossible for experienced (not godlike) doomers. So definitely tougher than the original, but not ultra hard or slaughter-esque.

Alrighty, I'll give it a go then - are there any monster/weapon restrictions for the slot I am in?

18 minutes ago, finnks13 said:

Alrighty, I'll give it a go then - are there any monster/weapon restrictions for the slot I am in?

No Cybers or Spiders. BFG is a maybe... If you did include it I would suggest making it very well hidden and/or hard to get to, and try not to give too many cells, since it would be quite an early appearance compared to the IWAD (E3M3) and I don't want continuous play to be too broken.

On that note, I've been telling people to avoid bosses in the earlier levels mainly because I don't want to step on the toes of people who have M8 slots and are depending on a "big reveal." (except E4M8 of course) But there's no rule against switching up their usage if people want to. I think it would be refreshing to switch things around... surprise everyone with spidermastermind on E1M8? (E3M8 could then be more of a multi-boss situation). Pack of cacos (pacos lol) instead of baron? Baron as a miniboss in the middle of E2? Spider on E2 and then Cyber on E3? As long as everyone is made aware of it, we don't have to stick to the OG progression to the letter...

I keep seeing this cp pop up every once in a while. If there anymore slots open in the future i will give it a shot myself since i am doing ultimate doom mapping now.

Plus i've worked with you before sofa when Theme gawad was being worked on and i was a newbie on that. I'll be lurking and watching to see if slots are open.

So i did a little playing around and when i was in E1M3 going for the secret exit i found this bug. Now i was playing in DSDA Doom when i saw this so i have no idea what happened or if it was my source port or what. I am letting the mapper of E1M3 know about this bug i found in there map.

uh oh.jpg

1 hour ago, xScavengerWolfx said:

I keep seeing this cp pop up every once in a while. If there anymore slots open in the future i will give it a shot myself since i am doing ultimate doom mapping now.

Plus i've worked with you before sofa when Theme gawad was being worked on and i was a newbie on that. I'll be lurking and watching to see if slots are open.

21 minutes ago, xScavengerWolfx said:

So i did a little playing around and when i was in E1M3 going for the secret exit i found this bug. Now i was playing in DSDA Doom when i saw this so i have no idea what happened or if it was my source port or what. I am letting the mapper of E1M3 know about this bug i found in there map.

Good to see you again and thanks for finding that! I'm pretty sure that was one of the maps submitted very early on (as in like 2.5 years ago, heh) which I am not really focusing on right now, anyway I might just fix that myself since it probably only requires moving a vertex around.

So turns out the bright side of waking up early when you don't have to means you have a lot more time to work on extra projects before your day gets too busy, who would have thunk it?

I would like to submit v3 of my E4M4 map (95nde4m4v3.wad)! Lemme know what your thoughts are, I wanna get this as close to polished as I can whilst I still have the free time before school takes me away once again D:

Spoilers for changelog

Spoiler
  • Fixed enemies being stuck in each other on different skill levels
  • Added a whole new section of the map, which is required for progression. This also makes the map less of an E4M4 clone.
  • Tweaked ammo / health here and there, not too much though
  • Added a version of the map for DM. All starts are in and some weapons and health have been implemented, though Zandronum bots are pretty stupid so I can't say for sure how this plays with actual people.
  • A few texture offset tweaks here and there
  • Some monster blocking linedefs have been removed. In addition, certain doorways have been widened to allow enemies to follow you into areas and put more pressure on you
  • There is an intentional missing texture that is revealed when lowering a secret, I thought it really added some sort of 95 charm to the level but if it REALLY bothers people, I can properly fix it. It's a small little detail anyways
  • In general, if you remember basic enemy prioritization and resource management, the map should be at most mildly challenging on UV. Other skill levels should give somewhat of a challenge, with ITYTD and HMP offering players a more graceful warmup during the first and second acts of the level.

I could also start playing through the compiled wad and giving my thoughts here and there on certain levels, if that is something that would be useful to the project here. Just lemme know!

38 minutes ago, magicsofa said:

Good to see you again and thanks for finding that! I'm pretty sure that was one of the maps submitted very early on (as in like 2.5 years ago, heh) which I am not really focusing on right now, anyway I might just fix that myself since it probably only requires moving a vertex around.

I am going to do more play testing when i can and see if i find more bugs in maps but for now i got my project i'm going to be working on.

20 hours ago, xScavengerWolfx said:

I am going to do more play testing when i can and see if i find more bugs in maps but for now i got my project i'm going to be working on.

20 hours ago, JustAthel said:

I could also start playing through the compiled wad and giving my thoughts here and there on certain levels, if that is something that would be useful to the project here. Just lemme know!

That would definitely be helpful! BUT the main archive is pretty outdated right now so it would be a lot easier to wait until I update it, that way you don't have to navigate a whole pile of .wads :)

30 minutes ago, magicsofa said:

That would definitely be helpful! BUT the main archive is pretty outdated right now so it would be a lot easier to wait until I update it, that way you don't have to navigate a whole pile of .wads :)

I'd like to volunteer with playtesting as well.

48 minutes ago, magicsofa said:

Ok i can do that

Felt a large rush of inspiration and managed to get it done today, hope you like it!

Name: Dragon Tail

Mapslot: E2M6

Author: finnks13

Difficulty settings: Yes, but mostly untested (have confirmed that they're actually easier but not much beyond that :P)

CO-OP: Player starts only

Deathmatch: No

Tested in: Chocorenderlimits, Woof v11.3.0

Known Bugs: Some slime trails probably snuck in. And yes, the secret area with the specters is meant to look like that.

Please credit Arsinikk & Monsieur E for playtesting the map, as their feedback was very useful!

Download: 95_finnks_v1.zip

image.png?width=845&height=473 image.png?width=845&height=473

On 8/22/2023 at 12:12 PM, finnks13 said:

You, Yumheart, and I keep ending up in projects together. You love to see it.

I'll use this as an update for my map as well, I've made a fair few changes, and am currently working out a DM arena. I'll send some screenshots in a bit. Thanks again for the feedback.

Alright, here's the latest main archive which should contain all the submissions/revisions up until now. I swear Slade was being ghostly on me and I kept having to go back to put in maps that I thought I already did...

E3M7 and E3M8 both crash the game so don't be alarmed.... again I think these were submitted long ago (perhaps when limit-removing was an idea being kicked around) so we can ignore those until I take a look in an editor and see if they can be made vanilla-safe.

neverdie.zip

Edited by magicsofa

Taking a look at the archive real quick, it seems to be missing the updated E4M4 I submitted recently, however this may be an effect of it being submitted so close to the archive being posted. No worries! I'll look at the other maps we have so far!

9 minutes ago, JustAthel said:

Taking a look at the archive real quick, it seems to be missing the updated E4M4 I submitted recently, however this may be an effect of it being submitted so close to the archive being posted. No worries! I'll look at the other maps we have so far!

Nope, yet again just the Slade poltergeist making me think I'm crazy (or I deleted the wrong lumps XD)

should be fixed now...

• 2 weeks later...

First submission of E2M5 for testing. This is by no means the final version, but I'd like to hear from others how it plays so far.

Multiplayer starts are implemented, difficulity settings are partially implented, since monster composition is most subject to change depending on feedback. 

Deimos Command (E2M5).zip

Edited by Michael Jensen

1 hour ago, Michael Jensen said:

First submission of E2M5 for testing. This is by no means the final version, but I'd like to hear from others how it plays so far.

Multiplayer starts are implemented, difficulity settings are partially implented, since monster composition is most subject to change depending on feedback. 

This plays and looks very good. I definitely enjoy this, but now come a few nitpicks from me... Yeah, I know this isn't finished yet, but I might just let you know anyway.

Spoiler

etrn06.png The right computer linedef texture could be adjusted.

etrn07.png I'm not sure if I like the way the radsuits are put on the pedestal. I'd say, keep one and place the others on other more crucial spots for the player(s) to equip.

etrn08.png The side linedefs on this door sector are not unpegged, resulting in this jarring "sliding doorjamb" view (with this texture, no less).

etrn09.png Is this fleshy blood pool supposed to be unescapable? I don't know, I just find it a bit too harsh.

etrn10.png Perhaps the switch texture could be lowered so as to give a more plausible effect (ie. within the reach of Doomguy)?

etrn11.png This one is a rather minor nitpick, but the texture could be more adjusted.

etrn12.png And finally, here's something I thought I'd share anyway. During my first playthrough, I did not see the EXIT sign being plastered on the teleportation pedestal, assuming it was just a random teleporter instead. When I found out it was the normal exit, I genuinely did not expect that. I think you could make a better way to signify that this is an exit.

(Also, how do I go to the secret blue key room?)

Otherwise, I think enemy placements are so far so good. I'd be very stoked to see a more "finished" version of this map!

2 hours ago, Michael Jensen said:

I gave this map a run as well, the only thing that I can add that @taufan99 hasn't covered is that sector 225 is a damaging floor despite using CEIL5_2 as the floor texture.

New version that adresses most of the issues above, plus some other changes. 

(Don't read this if you haven't played the map yet)

Spoiler

One thing I didn't change is the radsuits. The idea is that you can reach the exit very early, since the level is very open, but if you do, you'll still need the radsuits to survive the fight. They're basically a key. I did make it possible to come back from the long toxic tunnel that leads to them, to collect health if needed. 

10 hours ago, taufan99 said:

(Also, how do I go to the secret blue key room?)

Spoiler

There's a secret in the red brick hall. Inside, a hidden switch will raise stairs that lead there. 

Deimos Command (E2M5) v2.zip

Edited by Michael Jensen

Might as well share my current progress. Not much going on, but hopefully I can get to the right 1995 direction while still being somewhat passable as an id tribute.

Spoiler

DOOM0011.png

DOOM0012.png 

finally getting some stuff done, trying to get away from my typical orthogonality and going for something a lot more freehanded (especially with what i want to be going on overall with the theme and such)

Spoiler

DOOM0053.png.7986269b21f02a9cee687a503bf44207.pngDOOM0055.png.aa865bc692a03430afb297f2e1eefe6e.pngDOOM0056.png.db26049b571e56ca0c7e247b51f766d3.png

On 9/7/2023 at 9:01 PM, Yumheart said:

Here's an updated version of E4M2:
- fixed a few slime trails
- made the lava pit behind the BK door damaging
- fixed the lowering platform at the end (the issue was actually a walk-over line in the middle of the platform that was supposed to lower)

great map ! short and sweet and a punch to the face . though im pretty sure i have played other maps from the episode and it might be kind of too hard relative to them ? but its just my opinion and the original e4m2 is also a difficulty spike and im not exactly sure if i had the latest versions and so on and so forth

i wanted to ask that before but forgot about it and thats still a thing now : i looked through the map and found no secret exit at all , did you forget about it or is that going to be handled in a different way ?

Man sometimes I forget I was supposed to finish a map for this.

@magicsofa hey, I haven't been really working on my E1M7 at all recently and honestly I don't really want to work on it anymore, so I would like to drop this slot and let someone else take it instead, pretty please. :)

Sorry that I've been so quiet, I've been doing my own stuff and also other projects, they've been overshadowing this one and I'd rather leave the slot instead of just taking up space and doing nothing.

I will however keep on updating E4M3, if anyone wants to give any feedback I'll gladly take it and see what I can do with it!

Edited by LGmaire

i wanted to ask that before but forgot about it and thats still a thing now : i looked through the map and found no secret exit at all , did you forget about it or is that going to be handled in a different way ?

I completely forgot about that lmao, I'm gonna think of something appropriately cryptic
Thanks for the feedback though!