[Strife] Big SeHackEd-fueled Vanilla Map! (/idgames)

I've updated this WAD slightly. A few minor changes, such as the addition of an ENDSTRF lump, but the most important one is:

Spoiler

The mauler was made into a weapon that can only be used seven times due to its power. The primary firing mode was axed as I felt it wasn't very useful compared to the secondary mode for this map. It uses its own ammo type as well (phoshorous grenades as the grenade launcher doesn't exist in this map).

Download for the second release candidate is in the OP. This may be the version that gets to /idgames a few days from now.

kGQHoLh.png

also, RC1 was download fifty times?! I find that hard to believe but genuinely thank you all, you mysterious unknown beings of Doomworld

So I just got my hand on a copy of Strife, and am having difficulty running this on Chocolate Strife. I've used the -merge and -deh commands for the respective files, but keep getting the "Savegame buffer overrun" error upon starting the game. Anyone know what I should do?

Ah yes, that pesky limit. You should be able to disable that in the setup .exe that comes with Chocolate Strife, under "Compatibility".

1 hour ago, Xyzzy01 said:

Ah yes, that pesky limit. You should be able to disable that in the setup .exe that comes with Chocolate Strife, under "Compatibility".

That did the trick, thanks!

Just bumping this to announce that this thing is on idgames, now (and slightly different from RC2). Thanks a million to everyone who played this map in its earlier stages! For those turned away from Strife's gameplay and think this map is still the ordinary health-deprived hitscan maldfest that one would probably expect:

If you're still not convinced:

Spoiler

Have fun!

• 1 year later...

I currently playing this, but I have a problem. I got 5 out of the 6 stones and I have no idea how to get the last one. The last stone that I need is locked in a room that has a door that closes when you get close to the room. There is a switch that opens the room and a teleporter that places you next to the room, but everything that I do to try and get to the room keeps locking the door.

I hope I haven't broken anything.

Sounds like the one where you have to be fast enough to get past the trigger line that insta-raises the key before it has been fully lowered by the other switch. Keep at it!

Slight spoilers just in case:

Spoiler

If you're wanting to get to the end, you won't need all six keys, either a light and dark pair of one symbol or all three symbols of either light or dark will suffice!

1 minute ago, Ar_e_en said:

Do you get anything for getting all the keys?

No, but I guess you'll get my personal congratulations for completing the entire map! I want to adjust the enemy balance and make the map account for the Crispy Strife port that dropped soon after it's release at some point c:

Beat the wad!

Spoiler

It was a very fun challenge, granted - I did use a lot of saves, because I had like 2 game crashes (and I'm not talking about the intentional ones in the UFO sections). Also, the sky got a HOM effect at certain spots in the map. But besides those 2 little problems - I had a good time, I loved dealing with the big robots and I found out that they are not immune to their own attacks, so it became a fun little strategy to force them to shoot at a nearby wall, causing them to heavily hurt themselves. The dialog with the guy in the first room made me laugh for so long, because I was not expecting it at all. The ending map was pretty sweet, although I have to ask: I did complete the 3 UFO trials and I found the girl who gives you the ultimate weapon, but does she also appear in the end if you haven't done the 3 UFO trials and found the girl?

Spoiler

Yeah, she still appears in the ending regardless of what you do. I didn't have the foresight to dynamically change the ending map in a conversation script but that would've been a nice touch c:

I still couldn't figure out why it was crashing in one specific spot (I'm sure its the spot near the crusher hallway). But glad you enjoyed the map, hope the changes I made to the enemies as well as the map itself wasn't too rough in spots! <3 Did you play in skill 2 to have the least inventory worries of was that made prominent by playing on skill 4?

2 hours ago, Χyzzy said:

I still couldn't figure out why it was crashing in one specific spot (I'm sure its the spot near the crusher hallway). 

Funny enough - that was one of the spots where I got a crash! The other one was in the raising water room.

2 hours ago, Χyzzy said:

Did you play in skill 2 to have the least inventory worries of was that made prominent by playing on skill 4?

Doesn't the Doom engine count its difficulties internally from 0? Skill 2 is the middle difficulty in the selection menu right? The one that in the Original game was called "Veteran"?

In any case, I was playing on the middle medium difficulty, because I haven't played Strife in a long time. It was a good challenge, but I did pretty good on it, still had some big health packs in my inventory.

Oh that's good, I was hoping I provided enough health!

There is indeed a skill 0 in Doom, but it's unused; the actual skill levels start at 1. Skill 3 was a good choice as well.

15 hours ago, Χyzzy said:

There is indeed a skill 0 in Doom, but it's unused; the actual skill levels start at 1. Skill 3 was a good choice as well.

Okay, it was skill 3 then! Gotcha!