Angry Video Game Nerd reviews Doom (and Doom ports)

I really liked the episode,its most centered about the ports than anything (and i really wished he could say more about DooM 64) but overall i think its pretty good,i didnt expect romero to be in the episode

2 minutes ago, Rammiel sucks! said:

and i really wished he could say more about DooM 64

Yeah, that was weird. Maybe James is saving it for a future episode.

I thought it was pretty good. I wish they used footage of the original DOS game though, like they did in the Chex Quest episode. But overall I liked it.

Edited by unerxai

Surprised it took him this long to tackle DOOM in an AVGN episode, especially considering how he often mentionned the serie throughout the years. But hey, it's a fitting Halloween episode at least.

Edited by Shanoa

5 minutes ago, Shanoa said:

Surprised it took him this long to tackle DOOM in an AVGN episode, especially considering how he often mentionned the serie throughout the years. But hey, it's a fitting Halloween episode at least.

Yeah, it's cathartic to see James finally reviewing Doom after praising it numerous times. I guess part of the reason is because he initially thought Doom was too good for him to review. It's also kinda funny for me since I have been working on a Doom II mod based upon his Board James series. Now I wonder if I should include a reference to this video in some way.

I'm a little shocked at his indifference towards PS1 Doom's soundtrack. Hodges' music and the improved lighting did great job at emphasizing the horror aspect of Doom and, with James being a big horror fan, it seemed like it would have been right up his alley. Then again, he's also a huge metalhead so I can see why he'd be at least a little disappointed.

AVGN hits a lot differently after listening to videos deconstructing the behind-the-scenes goings-on and Screenwave fuckery. 

Yeah, I rarely ever watch AVGN anymore because of all that crap. In fact, it feels like the quality of the videos have gotten pretty bad over the years. However, I figured I would tune in to this because it's Doom, ya know. I remember James and Mike Matei played through Doom Episode 1 a couple years back. It wasn't too special. It was just them playing on I think the XBox 360 or PS3 port or something.

I don't have much to comment on the episode itself, just tho the whole jag doom having 0 music has me scratching my head a bit since the music it's still there, it just plays on the intermission screen rather than ingame, seems to me a weird omission since literally you just have to finish a map to hear the jag tracks

Spoiler

James mentions that Sandy Petersen said jag doom music was missing due to licensing issues, but i think he (or sandy) mixed up ports since i think PS1 was the one with different music for that reason

1 hour ago, Mr. Freeze said:

AVGN hits a lot differently after listening to videos deconstructing the behind-the-scenes goings-on and Screenwave fuckery. 

If it's the video i'm thinking about (the one almost 2 hours in lenght) I have to agree. Nowadays, I skip the majority of Cinemassacre's videos, although there's a few episodes in recent times that I consider classic such as Majora's Mask, Earthbound and Resident Evil Survivor. I oughta watch his DOOM one now.

The Last Ninja episode is probably the best one in recent years imo. That one also was written by James alone iirc.

8 hours ago, Mr. Freeze said:

What do you mean?

Anyway, that was a good old-fashioned episode, even if it was all information that I already knew about - except for some of the most outlandish Doom "ports". I have stopped watching the Angry Video Game Nerd almost half a decade ago, so it was rather nostalgic.

Edited by Rudolph

I was waiting this since Atari Jaguar episode.

The reason about no music in Jaguar (although it has, just in intermission) was pretty strange for me even more because was Petersen who said that.

12 hours ago, DMPhobos said:

James mentions that Sandy Petersen said jag doom music was missing due to licensing issues, but i think he (or sandy) mixed up ports since i think PS1 was the one with different music for that reason

I remember reading somewhere that Jag Doom didn't have ingame music because the system's architecture was just so insane and convoluted that not even Carmack could get the game and the music to run together.

16 hours ago, Rudolph said:

As someone who used to watch the AVGN a lot, it feels so weird to see James Rolfe balding. Man, those last two decades sure flew by... :o

Same, I have the same feeling with Jon Moxley heh

4 minutes ago, scalliano said:

I remember reading somewhere that Jag Doom didn't have ingame music because the system's architecture was just so insane and convoluted that not even Carmack could get the game and the music to run together.

Talkin' about that...

2 hours ago, Herr Dethnout said:

Talkin' about that...

"Hi Sandy, I hope you're doing well."

I was a little irked by how dismissive he was of the Playstation ambient soundtrack, but otherwise a good solid episode. AVGN has been doing better this year compared to the last one and it is nice to see that happen.

11 hours ago, Rudolph said:

What do you mean?

Some controversies I can remember off the top of my head were the plagiarism debacle from last year's Monster Madness where after it was discovered that two of the videos for it were plagiarized, he issued a half-apology on an unlisted video on his secondary channel and being involved in some shady Kickstarter campaign about reproduced NES carts with a bug fixed version of Cheetahmen 2. There are also claims that James didn't fully credit two of the original collaborators, Bootsy and Kyle for some of the stuff they did for him over the years and didn't pay them at all for their help, which lead to the two of them parting ways with James.

Plus, there were some bizarre non-AVGN videos he made like his room tour from 2020 where he shows off some really convoluted filming techniques and his recent trip to some mountain that was featured in Rocky 4 where he attempts to climb up a mountain ill-prepared, armed only with two tiny sticks used as make-shift walking sticks and wearing some really worn down sneakers.

I haven't really watched the AVGN for a couple of years since it seems like his heart isn't quite in it anymore (he's mellowed out a bit for starters).
But I liked this episode, just goes to show anybody can get passionate about Doom and put on a good performance again.

Edited by Robo_Cola

@Lizardcommando Well, that sucks. Screwing over Brendan Castner is bad enough, but Kyle Justin as well? The dude literally wrote his theme song!

Oh well. At least, it does not seem like James Rolfe has stooped as low as Doug Walker.

My favorite episode to date! Can't believe this! I've watched his videos since 2006 and even all the nostalgia i have for the older stuff can't beat this one. 

Although as a PSX Doom mega fan of course i was deeply hurt and offended by his opinion on the subject!