Night on Doom Mountain [Boom] - Released

Just beat the level. This is hands down one of my favourite single-map wads from this year. The fights are great and never unfair, and the enemy replacements are cool and work well enough to allow for even 'basic' situations to spiral out of control very quickly.

I wasn't sure if the intended method to beat the blue key encounter was to run up the rocky path and strafe across back into the area entrance, but that's how I did it anyway because there were way too many cacos to tackle the fight without the bfg. Even if you quickly rocket the revs teleporting in behind, you'll get overrun in no time and the plasma rifle won't save your ass against this many fliers.

The five-eyed caco seems like an absolute nightmare at first - even worse than its astral brother from eviternity arguably - but it's super good at infighting which is great for the encounters in which it's present.

I don't have any bugs or suggestions to report since I've managed to UV-max the level on my first playthrough, so good job on getting it tested!

Last but not least, in the past few years I've felt your mapping style has really mellowed out and Mr. Cannonball from 2014, who tried to kill the player with every means possible, is gone, but that narrative couldn't be further from the truth. Night on Mount Doom has plenty of excellent and lethal challenges to throw at doomguy.

Great stuff!

• 2 weeks later...

Gave this a quick "first map after workday" run on HNTR to, well, test it. Missed 4 secrets (I got the starting soulsphere and secret fight that loops to purple key) and some enemies, but overall seems to hit the mark for easy difficulty. Squandering health like there's no tomorrow works out, cell and rocket supplies enough to never need SSG.

The only minor complaint I have to lodge would be lack of backtracking teleporter at the final fight, unless I missed one. Otherwise, great stuff. I can imagine some of these fights being a lot more deadly on UV. I'll check it out some other time when I'm playing less braindead.

Edited by Doomy__Doom

• 10 months later...

Not quite one year late, but I dug this out of my WADs folder and played it this evening, which might be a bit more fitting since the lore text and graveyard scene give it a bit of that haunting October feeling. Beautiful.

Reminiscent of Capybara, mostly in aesthetics (colormap, texture usage), but grounded in a sense of semi-grand mythology rather than the allure of the abstract void and worlds that never were and can never be. Very aggressively pushes the player into a duality of plasma rifle and rocket launcher-based gameplay, feels very often slaughter-adjacent, has more than one enemy that can disintegrate the player with one small slip-up. Great map, maybe people who missed it last year (like me) will come across it this year and give it a shot.

On 10/21/2023 at 1:31 AM, Maribo said:

Not quite one year late, but I dug this out of my WADs folder and played it this evening, which might be a bit more fitting since the lore text and graveyard scene give it a bit of that haunting October feeling. Beautiful.

Reminiscent of Capybara, mostly in aesthetics (colormap, texture usage), but grounded in a sense of semi-grand mythology rather than the allure of the abstract void and worlds that never were and can never be. Very aggressively pushes the player into a duality of plasma rifle and rocket launcher-based gameplay, feels very often slaughter-adjacent, has more than one enemy that can disintegrate the player with one small slip-up. Great map, maybe people who missed it last year (like me) will come across it this year and give it a shot.

Cheers for the kind words, in terms of inspiration this was kind of a mix of Ribbiks and some of the offerings from the French community and on a whole I think this sort of straddles between the two. Though Capybara is a good comparison (Especially as I did two maps for that as well, though this has a much stronger sense of identity compared to the maps I made there).

I am glad that you enjoyed this, looking back this is one of the maps I am most fond of creating, probably because it is a little more fleshed out both in run time and of course some background lore. Of course it helps when you are drawing from more deep seated inspirations (Some would say I am quite strange for liking probably the darkest segment of the film Fantasia but then again I suspect that most of us here carry similar feelings, that same one that drew us into this game in the first place).