Does Duke Nukem 3d 20th anniversary world tour's 3d mode make the game become true 3D?

I would like to know why anyone even cares about the perceived legitimacy of a dimension in a video game. 

Edited by Koko Ricky

Sorry to throw a spanner in the works, but you are all wrong. Because you see, Doom has par times for each level, meaning that this raycasting 3d engine thing is also travelling through time as it is being rendered into columns on a 2d screen. Ergo, the Doom engine is 4d...

Or at least 3.5d.

yeah...

Science.

2 hours ago, Koko Ricky said:

I would like to know why anyone even cares about the perceived legitimacy of a dimension in a video game. 

Because people love to blah blah blah. Doomworld is full of dumb threads filled with answers and comments.

On 11/29/2022 at 6:31 AM, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

"IS DOOM 3D? PART 11.4: The Sequel Ch. 17 Thread 412 - Is Duke Nukem 3D 3D When Compared To Quake When Quake Is 3D?"

Next, compare it with Ultima Underworld Engine.

I think UW used a polygonal, texture-mapped engine which is insane for 1992. Even with sprites for entities it was slow. Judging from videos it was probably also using affine texture mapping. 

UW cheated somehow. I'm not sure exactly how, but it did.

At first it looks like a raycaster, since it's mostly square tiles -- but there are height differences. And even slopes! And it can also feature 45° walls. And in addition to all that, it also has "true" 3D objects, but those are not textured, only colored; the best example of this being the large blackrock gem in UW2 that lets you travel to the other worlds.

The UW engine was also used for the first System Shock.

Speaking of raycasters that did way more than one would expect from a raycaster, TES: Arena also had 45° walls and multiple elevations, including 3D floors frequently used to make bridges. Textured floor and ceiling, dynamic point lighting, skybox with dynamic weather system and day/night cycle, and reflective water puddles when it rains! But it's still hopelessly grid-based. TES2: Daggerfall was fully in True 3D however.

3 hours ago, Gez said:

Speaking of raycasters that did way more than one would expect from a raycaster, TES: Arena also had 45° walls and multiple elevations, including 3D floors frequently used to make bridges. Textured floor and ceiling, dynamic point lighting, skybox with dynamic weather system and day/night cycle, and reflective water puddles when it rains! But it's still hopelessly grid-based. TES2: Daggerfall was fully in True 3D however.

I'd wish there was a screenshot of that. But suppose ill installa Arena (Its free after all) and figure it out myself. Interesting stuff.

On 11/28/2022 at 4:31 PM, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

"IS DOOM 3D? PART 11.4: The Sequel Ch. 17 Thread 412 - Is Duke Nukem 3D 3D When Compared To Quake When Quake Is 3D?"

4d3d3d3 engaged

Personally I find the WT HD renderer to look pretty terrible, and when you pair that with the re-recorded Duke lines.. it is just bad. It looks bad, it sounds bad, and you know, it feels bad too. Switching weapons takes longer in this version because of the terrible “weapon wheel”. The developer audio was interesting, and the new music tracks and levels are a high light, but the new enemy and weapon feel tagged on, the new levels feel like they could’ve been fleshed out a tad more too because most of them feel as if they end rather abruptly, and don’t even get me started on the final boss. That is an absolute disgrace. 

If you prefer the WT version then that is fine, but I will stick with EDuke32 via the Atomic Edition. 

Edited by 7Mahonin

36 minutes ago, 7Mahonin said:

Personally I find the WT HD renderer to look pretty terrible

Agreed, I feel like this in general with old games, all the eye candy and that kind of things just don't look right to me, at least the way they're usually implemented.

37 minutes ago, 7Mahonin said:

If you prefer the WT version then that is fine, but I will stick with EDuke32 via the Atomic Edition. 

I prefer Chocolate Duke3D with Atomic, to preserve the old-ish look while being minimal

• 3 weeks later...

Duke Nukem 3D starts freezeing badly when True 3D Rendering mode is on. 

That mode requires a better PC than mine. I play with that mode off.

Edited by Technicolor

5 minutes ago, Technicolor said:

Duke Nukem 3D starts freezeing badly when True 3D Rendering mode is on. 

That mode requires a better PC than mine. I play with that mode off.

A little late, but thank you for letting us know.

World Tour is not very well optimised - IIRC the Nerve team didn’t have a lot of time to rip off Polymos—uhh, I mean, develop a new 3D renderer, and the end results require Crysis 1-spec system requirements!

3 hours ago, Technicolor said:

Duke Nukem 3D starts freezeing badly when True 3D Rendering mode is on.

Then don't use it.

3 hours ago, Technicolor said:

That mode requires a better PC than mine. I play with that mode off. 

Good

On 11/29/2022 at 9:00 AM, Edward850 said:

Hahaha i love you for that.

On 11/29/2022 at 12:03 AM, Technicolor said:

If Doom is 3D, why is Quake mentioned as actual 3D game? 

There is no such Thing as 2,5D, somethin works in 3D or it doesn't.

Doom is 3D, it calculates in it.

Take a Game as Might and Magic 3, it is purely 2D, even if it tries to make the Illusion of moving in a Room/Space.

Quake has 3D Models as Enemies and Weapons, Doom uses 2D Sprites, but the Position of those are calculated in a 3 D(imensional) Room.
Thats why some call Quake a true 3D Game.

Btw. if you take the Voxel Mod for Doom you can kill even the Sprites Argument.