Doom VS. FreeDoom Enemies

2 minutes ago, heliumlamb said:

they're more alien rather than demonic?? the demons from doom (<<read this in your george wood voice) are still technically "alien" but culturally demons seem to be grounded in an interpretation of earth's percieved reality.

Earthly human point of view, but don't the highest demons theoretically encompass the entire universe or all of existence?

24 minutes ago, SealSpace said:

Earthly human point of view, but don't the highest demons theoretically encompass the entire universe or all of existence?

demons are what you make of them

2 hours ago, SealSpace said:

Is it just me or do at least half the Freedoom monsters look like even creepier or more badass versions of their vanilla Doom counterparts?

I can Agree with you on that

13 minutes ago, SealSpace said:

in the Biblical, Christian, or Abrahamic sense I guess.

deities, devas, demons, the demiurge and whatnot. they're all potential 5d beings to me. doing my best to not proselytize (easier when you're secular) and to avoid lashon hara. all i should say is that no being is perfect, nor should any being be perceived as perfect, absolute perfection is not obtainable. this includes the potential 5d beings that some may consider controlling forces

freedoom's monsters are fictional aliens, and so are doom's monsters.

2 minutes ago, heliumlamb said:

deities, devas, demons, the demiurge and whatnot. they're all potential 5d beings to me. doing my best to not proselytize (easier when you're secular) and to avoid lashon hara. all i should say is that no being is perfect, nor should any being be perceived as perfect, absolute perfection is not obtainable. this includes the potential 5d beings that some may consider controlling forces

freedoom's monsters are fictional aliens, and so are doom's monsters.

Not even Nirvana or Brahman or Super Perfect Cell is absolute perfection?

2 minutes ago, SealSpace said:

Not even Nirvana or Brahman or Super Perfect Cell is absolute perfection?

brahman would be a good map centered around herding pinkies

I mean, OP is free to play however he wants to, but OP is also in a community that has plenty of branches that are pretty notoriously purist. This sort of reaction should be expected, but as long as he takes it in good humor (more or less), more power to him.

Also, can't wait for @Cheello to do a voxel mod for the xBRZ x6 versions of the monsters.*

Spoiler

*This ain't happening.

Edited by Dark Pulse

9 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

I mean, OP is free to play however he wants to, but OP is also in a community that has plenty of branches that are pretty notoriously purist. This sort of reaction should be expected, but as long as he takes it in good humor (more or less), more power to him.

Also, can't wait for @Cheello to do a voxel mod for the xBRZ x6 versions of the monsters.*

Hide contents

*This ain't happening.

i agree that he should do chello voxels mod for FreeDooms monsters that would be cool

1 hour ago, J-Force1989 said:

i agree that he should do chello voxels mod for FreeDooms monsters that would be cool

No, I meant for the xBRZ versions of the originals.

FreeDoom is tricky precisely because they could theoretically change. That would wipe out a hell of a lot of work, and making even one "frame" of a voxel model takes a ton of time.

7 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

No, I meant for the xBRZ versions of the originals.

FreeDoom is tricky precisely because they could theoretically change. That would wipe out a hell of a lot of work, and making even one "frame" of a voxel model takes a ton of time.

True

On 12/5/2022 at 2:40 AM, ⇛Marnetmar⇛ said:

Doom revenant is an eight-foot-tall skeleton with rocket launchers. Freedoom revenant doesn't stand a chance

Haha, nice commentary on each of them. 

Having the revenant in freedom be do short makes sense because they are short in the engine too. If a rev goes through a room with low ceiling, it'll clip half its height. The revenant sprite looks great but the height deceives. Freedoom is true to the engine

1 minute ago, Sneezy McGlassFace said:

Having the revenant in freedom be do short makes sense because they are short in the engine too. If a rev goes through a room with low ceiling, it'll clip half its height. The revenant sprite looks great but the height deceives. Freedoom is true to the engine

You said it DUDE 

12 hours ago, Sneezy McGlassFace said:

But then again, tall sprite is easier to identify the enemy to be revenant replacement if you're played the doom before. Also revenant being tall makes it more menacing enemy so it could be argued that engine defined height is the wrong value and it is just too late to fix it.

I liked the older tall version of freedoom revenant sprite much more and always add it back into the newer versions. Current version looks like just a stronger imp variant because how short it is instead of actually much more dangerous enemy.

20 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

Project like that could create their own fork of Freedoom so they wouldn't need care about if sprites get replaced in the main Freedoom. That way they could always make voxels for any enemy sprites they want instead trying to catch up with latest version of Freedoom. Only reason there could be wasted work because of changes would be if the voxel project decides to add new enemy sprite into their fork that already has been partially or fully voxelized.

48 minutes ago, banjiepixel said:

Project like that could create their own fork of Freedoom so they wouldn't need care about if sprites get replaced in the main Freedoom. That way they could always make voxels for any enemy sprites they want instead trying to catch up with latest version of Freedoom. Only reason there could be wasted work because of changes would be if the voxel project decides to add new enemy sprite into their fork that already has been partially or fully voxelized.

I mean, of course it's doable, it's just a question of if anyone will want to take the time to do all that work for a relatively small audience.

Just now, Dark Pulse said:

I mean, of course it's doable, it's just a question of if anyone will want to take the time to do all that work for a relatively small audience.

well they really should it would be cool 

hey did you shut my topic about psx doom down?

3 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

Voxels would add alot of potential for to have bigger audience and I am pretty sure there would be actual demand for full set for open source freely usable voxel graphics to use with Doom based projects.

The reason we don't use filters is because we can observe Doom Enemies a lot better, plus a lot of detail is lost with filters.

Don't get me wrong nothing is bad about high res textures, but sometimes you use it the wrong way, like with the SS replacement, you can't really see what's going on with the face, which is some detail lost.

Also, your reasoning behind the game being smoother is worded a bit wrong, as that's the frame rate, not the graphics.

8 minutes ago, openxt said:

The reason we don't use filters is because we can observe Doom Enemies a lot better, plus a lot of detail is lost with filters.

Don't get me wrong nothing is bad about high res textures, but sometimes you use it the wrong way, like with the SS replacement, you can't really see what's going on with the face, which is some detail lost.

Also, your reasoning behind the game being smoother is worded a bit wrong, as that's the frame rate, not the graphics.

I think big chunky pixels looks very nice, especially combined with colorful sprite graphics. And it is even better in low internal game resolution because higher the resolution, more detail is needed to make it look natural.

This includes things like animations that will just look worse when actual detail is being added to the frames in high resolution. So technically loss of detail can actually make animation look smoother too. 

My random thoughts in no real organised order.

I like a lot of the concepts from Freedoom even though the animation and art is not always on par with Dooms professional look. I like that they went with a more alien theme, in my head cannon there is one master race with the rest being bio-mechanical weapons made from the remains of conquered races. 

Like I said before the animation is not always that great, the chaingunners knees seem to bend inwards when he walks giving the impression that he's either disabled or he's a cat walk model and I have no idea what the zombie man is doing its like he's dancing or he's high. The animation on the mancubus is not great either but the concept is really imaginative, he looks like he was forcibly put through an extremely tortuous procedure to become the monster he is. I would love to see this monster update somehow, same with the worm, he does not suit being a pinky replacement, he would be better being larger and maybe being able to borrow underground.

I like the Baron replacement too they're more imposing than Doom Demon. The Spiderdemon replacement looks really bad though.

Edited by Anarkzie

On 12/5/2022 at 9:21 PM, J-Force1989 said:

While I also think a voxel mod would be cool, FreeDoom hasn't reached the v.1.0, and because of that, any changes (whether them being small or huge) would require some rework on the models for them to be up to date, which I can imagine is a pain in the butt (Unless they sort of freeze on whatever version's monsters and not update the models, but that would make them look out of place or old).

It'd be better to wait for v.1.0, at least in my opinion

• 1 year later...
On 12/4/2022 at 3:00 PM, J-Force1989 said:

image.png.6be55767fad49a9ad09d09fda16cc210.png

the poor mancubus melted like grilled cheese. what the heck are those guns???

Freedoom SSGuy somehow manages to look even more out of place than the regular SSGuy.