Winter's Fury - 10th Anniversary Update

1 hour ago, Pieruskwurje said:
  • There's a snippet in the credits that says that the UAC no longer sanctifies the use of category 7 firearms, so of course there's no BFG! Or at least, not in this time, or this place, but maybe somewhere else...

Just curious, is there still a countdown timer in MAP07B for a certain thing?

8 minutes ago, NovaRain said:

Just curious, is there still a countdown timer in MAP07B for a certain thing?

The countdown timer was removed; you can now explore the map freely. That map was changed the most out of anything in the update, so there's definitely much more to explore.

Ah, OK. Glad that countdown is removed since I'm not good at time rush stuff.

I just finished MAP07B, when trying to reach some vent, for some reason I was stuck on the slope, can't walk further or jump into it, I have to noclip moving forward a bit to reach it.

Seems that slope was a little glitchy. You can make the jump in, but it's kinda dumb so I'll just add invisible 3D floors so you walk up it like stairs. Good catch!

Running super smooth so far, and I swear all these tooltips and unobtrusive tutorials werent there last time. Buuut its been a long time.

Gonna try to get my girlfriend to play it, wish me luck.

On 12/8/2022 at 10:08 AM, Rex705 said:

I love the HUD I just wish it was split and on the sides of the screen instead of the middle where the guns are.

image.png?width=1246&height=701

Like so?

Edited by Devalaous

Goddamn do these weapon replacements *feel* good. Also the jumping and crouching being organic feeling is nice.

Also as a headsup; make sure you disable the textured automap, leaving it on reveals a lot of mapmaking tricks and can run a lot of immersion.

EDIT: Minor typo in the obituaries: 'Elliot was shaterred by an Ice Mancubus'. Should be 'shattered'

Edited by Devalaous

In some of the cinematic scenes for example on map 4, it's so dark that I can't see anything going on. I even have the text-shadow option off, but it is still there and blocks everything out.

5 minutes ago, Rex705 said:

In some of the cinematic scenes for example on map 4, it's so dark that I can't see anything going on. I even have the text-shadow option off, but it is still there and blocks everything out.

Something's definitely not right there. Could you please provide a screenshot (or video if that's easier) of the problem since I'm not even sure where to begin looking into this otherwise.

Edited by Pieruskwurje

Ah ok, I see the problem now. I was using the Uncharted tone map that makes things dark. With that off, I can see much better now. I still wish I could remove the shadow for tex or at least not have it as strong but it's fine I guess. The slider bar in the Winter Fury option doesn't seem to do anything because I set it to zero but the dialog still has a shadow.

0uW3Say.png

I do like how the mod changes the player to Elliot, wonder how it does that? Would neat to use that on a lot of older mods that set the player as a distinct character, or even for Hexen in a mod where it automatically changes your name depending on class

Also some small observations that, uh, would have been more relevant ten years ago, each weapon seems to serve a purpose moreso than the original arsenal so far, the SSG replacement is not a be-all end-all replacement and feels weaker in general, but better at close range (I love, LOVE, launching enemies backwards with it, especially the ice cacos, they go FLYING), and the regular shotgun seems to be a hard counter for ice mancubi, I am regularly completely stunlocking them with single shots. Im also regularly finishing off things with the pistol when the shotgun's RNG makes things not die in the 'right' amount of shots.

I also like how the ice brood generally doesn't infight with each other (aside from ice lost souls charging into other ice monsters), makes the new breed feel smarter and more unified than the primitive 'regulars' that are still present

Edited by Devalaous

10 hours ago, Rex705 said:

Ah ok, I see the problem now. I was using the Uncharted tone map that makes things dark. With that off, I can see much better now. I still wish I could remove the shadow for tex or at least not have it as strong but it's fine I guess. The slider bar in the Winter Fury option doesn't seem to do anything because I set it to zero but the dialog still has a shadow.

Unsure if there's anything I can do to improve the appearance of the mod when using the Uncharted tonemap since it's such a drastic change. That said, I can implement a way to change the alpha of the shadow behind the cinematic text; the current option only affects the in game dialogue (floating text or the ones that appear at the top of the screen). I just figured it would never be needed since the cinematics were designed to have the box 100% opaque to begin with!

7 hours ago, Devalaous said:

I do like how the mod changes the player to Elliot, wonder how it does that? Would neat to use that on a lot of older mods that set the player as a distinct character, or even for Hexen in a mod where it automatically changes your name depending on class

Also some small observations that, uh, would have been more relevant ten years ago, each weapon seems to serve a purpose moreso than the original arsenal so far, the SSG replacement is not a be-all end-all replacement and feels weaker in general, but better at close range (I love, LOVE, launching enemies backwards with it, especially the ice cacos, they go FLYING), and the regular shotgun seems to be a hard counter for ice mancubi, I am regularly completely stunlocking them with single shots. Im also regularly finishing off things with the pistol when the shotgun's RNG makes things not die in the 'right' amount of shots.

I also like how the ice brood generally doesn't infight with each other (aside from ice lost souls charging into other ice monsters), makes the new breed feel smarter and more unified than the primitive 'regulars' that are still present

• Each obituary is rewritten in the LANGUAGE lump to remove the code that pulls in the player name and just replaces it with "Elliott was ...." Simple as that!
  • I'm glad that you are finding interesting ways to make the weapon set work together. Considering how many players love using the SSG to kill a pinky in one shot and now struggle to do so, I have never been confident about the nerfs to it and changes to other weapons. Your feedback is appreciated.
  • I wanted the lost souls to not infight either for consistency, but it's apparently not so simple to give A_SkullAttack a damage type. If anyone knows a good way to handle this I would love to know!

This topic is making me wanna play this again...

Dammit I don't have time...

But I have added this thread to my "Doom wad favorites" so I will get to it. Wonderful stuff.

On 12/11/2022 at 3:28 PM, Devalaous said:

Goddamn do these weapon replacements *feel* good. Also the jumping and crouching being organic feeling is nice.

Also as a headsup; make sure you disable the textured automap, leaving it on reveals a lot of mapmaking tricks and can run a lot of immersion.

EDIT: Minor typo in the obituaries: 'Elliot was shaterred by an Ice Mancubus'. Should be 'shattered'

An amusing anecdote: While researching how to disable textures being visible on the automap for select sectors, one of the first google results was another project thread where a similar problem was noted and a solution given. That project was one of mine.

I've done a rough job to at least block out the portals and skyboxes so future versions should be able to leave this setting on without complete destruction of immersion. Thanks for pointing it out!

5 hours ago, Kyka said:

This topic is making me wanna play this again...

Dammit I don't have time...

But I have added this thread to my "Doom wad favorites" so I will get to it. Wonderful stuff.

No rush! If you ever find a cold winter evening with nothing else to do, it'll be there.

• 3 weeks later...

The idea of winters fury becoming "higher quality" amazes me as its already top quality and the idea over a sequel excites me to no end! :D

Now how the hell did I miss this? I was just thinking about replaying it! And a sequel? This is one of my favorite “Big Budget” Doom projects so I’m ridiculously excited about this.

Anyone found all the logs who can post the content of them? i only found 3 or 4 of them or know a site with them on a bit too well hidden for me some of them

@Bozzy Yeah, they are quite hard to find. So I unpacked the map files (WADs) from the PK3, opened them in Slade and read the logs in ACS script source files. Search for string "LogTracker". They don't contain anything important though, only

Spoiler

expand background of one character. Apart from that, the logs will allow you access to a secret room that's related to that character. It's hidden behind the BFG secret in MAP07B (which is pretty hard to find too), but if I understand the scripts right, you need to find ALL the logs to access it. Again, I haven't bothered and just used GZdoom console to give myself the necessary ammount (8) of "LogTracker" items.

BTW, reading the ACS sources for the ingame logs was sort of meta-reality experinece for me. Because some of them they also contain Pieruskwurje's development logs, thoughts and feelings... most notably MAP07A.

Edited by Caleb13

• 3 months later...

Hey, I've been playing lately this mod, but I'm a bit confused about what you have to do on MAP07B, and I haven't seen anyone on youtube having played the new version (Yet).

So, you start, leave the big chamber and go "outside." A bit of walking leads you to the yellow (skull) key and to one of three switches. You press it, a path appears through the "islands" and when you come back, the path is blocked.

Now, the idea is that you have to go through the Mancubus on either side and start exploring the rest of the level, or am I missing something I need to do for the level to "start" (Given how the monsters are behaving)?

3 hours ago, Neuromante said:

Now, the idea is that you have to go through the Mancubus on either side and start exploring the rest of the level, or am I missing something I need to do for the level to "start" (Given how the monsters are behaving)?

No, you have the right idea. Push the monsters around, jump over them, kill them, the choice is yours. Those Mancubi are there to force the player to learn that before moving on to the rest of the level.

19 hours ago, Pieruskwurje said:

No, you have the right idea. Push the monsters around, jump over them, kill them, the choice is yours. Those Mancubi are there to force the player to learn that before moving on to the rest of the level.

I see, thanks! The whole map is already a bit weird and I didn't understood if me leaving from the part where you get "locked in" was a bug or a feature.

• 4 months later...

Sorry to necro, but just started blasting my way throught this awesome mod. But is it normal to pistol start every map?

Finished it what a ride that was thank you for that.

Did the whole thing without a backpack or BFG if they are in there didnt find them.

Not one for secrets.

Thank you for ride buddy.

Heads up to everyone; I've done a small update to fix some of the bugs mentioned in this thread and included some of the improved weapons from Insanity Edged. There will be more improvement coming to the weapon pack for both mods soon!

9 hours ago, Strung said:

But is it normal to pistol start every map?

The project was originally balanced around a combination of continuous play and some maps that reset you to an 'Expected Start' (not quite pistol start, but your inventory is reset to an amount of ammo and weapons based on the map, but forced 100 health and 0 armour). I had wanted to give the ability to the player to change whether they play continuous, expected start, or pure pistol start from the settings, but I haven't included it in the latest update. I am testing it out in Insanity Edged however, so I'll probably port it over here should there be no problems with the system.

5 hours ago, Strung said:

Did the whole thing without a backpack or BFG if they are in there didnt find them.

There is only a backpack on the two easier difficulties. There is a BFG equivalent, but like you guessed, it's hidden!

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for playing.

Edited by Pieruskwurje

• 3 weeks later...

I remember playing and quite enjoying this when it first came out but I couldn't handle the final boss fight with him morphing into 3 different forms.  Just when you think you defeated him, he popped up again, and rinse, repeat, until I realized I wasn't enjoying myself because it was taking too long.  Up to then it was one of the best Doom wads I ever played.

Congrats on getting back on Doom moding. Winter's Fury is one of the classic Doom TCMs and I played it a lot back in the day. Big props to whoever made the video that inspired Pieruskwurje to get back into Doom mods lol.

Edited by Restrained Fury

• 1 month later...

I just started playing winter's fury, I changed the option to keep Inventory. Yet on map 02, I start with the pistol. Is this normal? Thank you!