Winter's Fury - 10th Anniversary Update

18 hours ago, Yhe1 said:

I just started playing winter's fury, I changed the option to keep Inventory. Yet on map 02, I start with the pistol. Is this normal? Thank you!

Technically yes; this is normal. Some levels are set to force your inventory for certain reasons regardless of the option you choose (e.g. ensuring cinematic maps have no weapons), so the setting doesn't affect that much in Winter's Fury. 

6 hours ago, Firedust said:

Are there still plans for more updates (like weapon changes, etc.) for this or is it done and dusted?

Yes, but nothing particularly major like the 10th anniversary one was. I want to get all the weapons custom made like the SSG was recently by the talented Marty, but it takes time!

Next time I make any kind of major update it'll likely be to coincide with the release of another mod.

• 2 months later...

I just wanted to say that i came back to doom and doom modding after years and this was a fantastic welcome-back gift. This map pack was fantastic, thank you very much for all the hard work, both the first time and when revamping it. It makes me very excited to try to the followup.

These maps did alot of stuff I found very impressive. They were large without being terribly confusing labrynths, making good use of landmakrs and distinct env shapes to help me keep track of where i was in relation to other stuff. Given that so much of it was snowy, i was worried it'd all look and feel samey, but the the varied shapes of the arenas and the frequent tight->open->tight->open flow kept it varied.

I was really fond of your method of keeping the player stocked. You'd often fill hubish areas up with more ammo and hp than the player could pick up in one go, and also spread it out in corners and patches. So when the player came back to the zone, either cuz they were exploring or just traversing, resources they didn't need before but needed now would be in these corners they couldn't collect or just didn't see the first time. I think that played well into the how map zones fed back into eachother, i didn't feel pressured to keep running back to a resource spot because i knew the map would prob take me back to that location at some point.

The fights were tough but i think very fair. i hadn't played doom in awhile but got by alright on dif 3. i esp liked when monsters broke down walls to suprise you. Bosses were alright, bossess in games like this never do much for me but i liked kiting hordes of demons around the boss so that infighting would gradually takeover and turn a huge swarm into a mosh pit. I never felt like i didn't have the tools to beat the guy, and i never had a bad tme with any of them.

The only time it bugged out for me was collecting the yellow keycard on the level where the demon lords are showing up. you pick up a card, a buncha hellknight ugys spawn in, the snake man taunts yo and locks you in a room and the sky goes red, but the door never opened. i had to noclip my way out and through the last parts of that map. but other than that, perfectly smooth.

the only real issue i had is at the very start, where i didn't know how to leave the first room/. eventually i just shot at random env objects and broke a tree which opened a path. Nothing stood out about it to me, i feel like some way of making that clearler or some other way to open that path might be ideal.

I even thought the story was cute. Enough to give some context to events and set up the stragneness of where you are and where you're going. The void map was es strange, with the odd "which one of these guys is a real threat" vibe, riding that line between "this is surreal" and "is this broken?" that played into the odd atmosphere.

Overall a great map pack, i'm def gonna be studying this one and most likely the followup. It felt like it made alot of use of modern source port stuff without going overboard and getting confusing/overwhelming. All the best with the future work, thanks for coming back, and thanks for giving us such a solid collection of levels.

Edited by LethDavidson

7 hours ago, LethDavidson said:

the only real issue i had is at the very start, where i didn't know how to leave the first room/. eventually i just shot at random env objects and broke a tree which opened a path. Nothing stood out about it to me, i feel like some way of making that clearler or some other way to open that path might be ideal.

It should have triggered upon picking up the single health bonus in the area, next to the tree. You shouldn't have to shoot anything.

Regardless, glad you enjoyed it, and thanks for sharing your thoughts. Hopefully Insanity Edged is just as exciting for you to jump into for the first time.