Yuegong - Moon Palace (abandoned map)

This looks so good. I still hope it can be finished someday, but thank you for sharing it like this, too. It would have been terrible if this had never been released in any form.

1 hour ago, Horus said:

Based on the screenshots you’ve shown so far, which look incredible, I would say there would be value in releasing this as a walking sim map, like Simpletonium’s release last year:

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/125748-the-library-udmf-atmospheric-map/
Not all Doom maps need to have monsters to be interesting.

Thats definitely a good idea . especially since mods like DCS can bring enemies even in maps which don't have those 

I'd be interested in seeing you revisit this map someday. I have some fascination towards East Asian-themed maps like this.

Oh man, I remember seeing you post screenshots of this in discord years ago. It looked gorgeous then and it still looks incredible now! Thanks for sharing this elend, even if you never quite find the time/passion to revisit the map. Would've been a big shame for this to just disappear.

@elend, my dear Doomer-comrade!

These screenshots looks very astonishing & fascinating!

Please, don't abandon this project! Finish it!
For that kind of quality I can wait as long as you need to make it playable.

Haha thanks guys. The tip with making it a walking map is not bad actually, but then I am still worried about interesting things to discover, etc. You would want to have at least some puzzles in there I think.

Been a while since I last saw you! Good to see you're still working on Doom, elend. This map looks incredible, and it'd be great to see it finished one day.

Awesome stuff. The intricate little touches and painstaking texturing give it a sense of place that seems to me quite unusual in the Doom world.

- Light fitting design game is top drawer!

- The research area design is astoundingly good to my eyes. Those beams are so chunky I can feel the weight only looking at them.

- Outdoor stuff a bit flat visually (will always be a problem with large areas in GZDoom until lightmaps I guess) but the design itself is cool with the intriguing and unusual mix of sci-fi / traditional East Asian architectural elements.

- The plant sprites and your new textures look great. You mention having posted some of the assets, any chance you'd bundle them together?

- The little dispensary cubby textures are amazing.

Would never argue against anyone spending less time at a computer, but hope you find the balance and that this or parts of it find its way to us in the future!

Edited by holaareola

57 minutes ago, elend said:

Haha thanks guys. The tip with making it a walking map is not bad actually, but then I am still worried about interesting things to discover, etc. You would want to have at least some puzzles in there I think.

The vibe I'm getting from those screenshots is horror. Like, mostly walking simulator with exploration and environmental problem solving and you have no guns, but also there are a handful of really terrifying monster encounters that you're not equipped to deal with unless you find the few caches of usable combat equipment.

Personally, I think releasing the map as an explorative interactive art piece would be a great way to release it. That way you wouldn’t need to worry about any major gameplay features and would be able to work at your own pace on visuals or sound design.

That’s probably the best crane I’ve ever seen in Doom. Your scale modeling interest shows in it lol. I tend to associate model making and Doom mapping together because making a map is kinda like making a big interactive diorama.

I'll give you an Uncle award just for the screenshots alone, and hope you find the time, will and strength to finish this some glorious day. As I've said in earlier threads featuring teaser shots of this project; I just love the "far east" theme

(I also have an episode in the works with, among other themes, three "far east" themed maps - although I work with strictly vanilla and almost entirely stock textures)

Wow looks amazing, even if you're not feeling like finishing it (which is totally understandable) I agree it would be nice just to walk around in it.  Great work!

Another vote for just release as walking sim, this is far too pretty to just be thrown away. I totally understand if you want to focus on other hobbies but you've quite obviously invested a lot of time on this and it would real shame if it was wasted. I'd love to walk around your beautiful map.

Edited by Wyrmwood

These shots look incredible! I'm getting heavy Deus Ex 1 and DXHR vibes from some of them, Quake 2 from others, some UT99 too, and Doom 3 of course.

If you ever decide to revisit this and turn it into a puzzle/exploration for a full release I'd absolutely play it.

Elend!! Good to see you again buddy! Holy. crap. I had seen a few screenies of this behemoth before but I don't think I quite got the picture of just how huge and gorgeous it had become! Whatever you choose to do with it, I'm just happy we got to see the results of what you had put into it! I too upvote the idea for a walking sim map (as I have a clear bias for them). It's detailed enough to be concept pieces for a real facility's architecture portfolio if you ask me ;p Would be sick just to take a stroll through these areas.

Well unabandon it, mister!

I'm gonna add to the clamour for it to be released as is, as a walking sim.

And even humbly suggest that you let folks have at it once it's out: anyone who thinks they're up to the task can attempt to finish it in their own vision. Less a decentralised community project, more a communal resource. Could become a body of work that gets added to over the course of years. Could be an intense workload for some folks to celebrate the thirtieth anniversary. Some will emphasise puzzle elements, others might turn it into a slaughter playground

Spoiler

I hope you didn't click this expecting a crappy hundred flowers reference.

Or sit on it if/until you feel ready to come back to it, because it's still yours.

But whatever you do, know that your screenshots alone have made a lot of people happy.

Take that with you whatever you do next, OP.