Prey November 1995 build leaked

Merry Christmas Red, great find! I love Prey, so I'd be really curious to check this out. How did this get leaked? I figured the copyright would be locked down if all those stories about the ip are correct. Also what engine is this on?

4 hours ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

Merry Christmas Red, great find!

Not me, Enterthedragonpunch on reddit! Just making this a discussion here.

EDIT: I am actually wrong, it is Talon Brave, from here.

I love Prey, so I'd be really curious to check this out. How did this get leaked? I figured the copyright would be locked down if all those stories about the ip are correct.

Somebody out there is leaking up a storm (Rayman 4 also got leaked)

Also what engine is this on?

The Prey Engine. More details at The Prey Museum.

Edited by Redneckerz
Proper credit for where the original leak was.

Who's been plundering 3D Realms' archives I wonder? Has to be one of the old original team members. 

5 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

Not me, Enterthedragonpunch on reddit! Just making this a discussion here.

Somebody out there is leaking up a storm (Rayman 4 also got leaked)

The Prey Engine. More details at The Prey Museum.

Ah, thanks for the details. 

3 minutes ago, Murdoch said:

Who's been plundering 3D Realms' archives I wonder? Has to be one of the old original team members. 

You would think. I'm curious what the motivation is. I can't complain though, the more stuff that gets leaked, the better for digital preservation. 

Holy...

This is so cool! Thanks for posting!

[Now I'm wondering about Max Payne 1 prototype leak. Actually, someone did a small leak few years ago in 3D realms discord (not a clever idea, actually), but nobody re-uploaded it anywhere, eh]

Hopefully a later build gets leaked, particularly the one that we got the footage of the working portal from. Whoever's doing this, keep at it!

Wow great, i love the released game, but having now also a piece of its history is great.

What times we live in, first Duke Nukem Forever, now this.
We are truly in the future!

Edit:
Thought it didn't launch, but runs on Dosbox (have mine setup with games and windows hrhr).
Just wait long enough.

I am pretty impressed by its graphics! (my brain travels back in time, when opening Dosbox, when starting Tomb Raider i'm gonna "Wow!", every time haha).

Give it a try :D

Edited by Azuris

20 minutes ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

3D Realms should have hired a better plumber. It's Leakmania up in here!

But in this case, the "plumber" did it right. Those old and relatively old games beg to be leaked while the generation who played them is still interested in them. I have doubts they hide something so supersecret God forbid someone dares to show it to the world or make the publisher/devs bankrupts of losing 0$ from sales (if a game is even being sold anywhere)

Edited by Dimon12321

Excellent, between this and Rayman 4 suddenly appearing this has been a great last few weeks of the year for beta/alpha contents.

At this very moment Hidden Palace is currently showing off the betas they have also found, it just keeps going.

Edited by mrthejoshmon

8 minutes ago, Spooner5020 said:

So before I download this, is any of this gameplay or just test maps?

Its one test map and three demos. The lightmap system is impressive to see though.

7 minutes ago, 7Mahonin said:

And now the DNF 1996 side scroller that eventually became Alien Rampage has been leaked. 

Can confirm, have already downloaded 

8 hours ago, 7Mahonin said:

And now the DNF 1996 side scroller that eventually became Alien Rampage has been leaked. 

Isn’t there a more complete version of DNF (the fps) from the one we got that was like 90% complete? Or was that the one that was leaked months ago?

Either way can’t wait to play this.

2 minutes ago, Spooner5020 said:

Isn’t there a more complete version of DNF (the fps) from the one we got that was like 90% complete? Or was that the one that was leaked months ago?

Duke Nukem Forever (or 4Ever at that time) started as a platformer, akin to Duke Nukem 2, around 1996. But soon, 3DR changed their mind that the next Duke game after Duke3D shouldn't be a platformer, but should be a full 3D FPS. And that's where the DNF plaformer's development ended and the DNF first person shooter (the fps that became infamous for its 14-year development) began around early-1997 using Quake engine.

As for the engine designed for the platformer version of DNF, that engine was repurposed to develop Alien Rampage.

And speaking about the leaked build months ago, that's the 2001 build of DNF, which has a ton of content and also includes source code + editing tools. By it is far from 90% complete. The game is closer to around 40% to 50% complete. There is another 2002 build out there that has yet to leak, but some speculate it to be around 90% complete. Although that too sounds very wishful. I highly doubt it would be anywhere close to that given 3D Realm's slow rate of development at that time. 2001 build is around 40% complete and it was already over 3 years into development.