[Community Project] Doom 2 Minus Doom (30 maps complete!))

i finished my map, map17. it is titled "Evil Hidden In Plain Sight".

it takes place on a library on Earth, which contain sinister and dark secrets.

3 secrets, HNTR/HMP/UV implemented.

there is a separate deathmatch arena out of bounds on the map, and spawns are added for at most 3-player co-op.

at highest there are 60 monsters, 26 at the lowest.

please tell me if there are things i accidentally missed, or something that breaks the rules of the project.

only tested on DSDA-Doom & GZDoom

DOWNLOAD HERE (V2)
D2MD-Map17-Evil_Hidden_In_Plain_Sight.zip

Spoiler

LIBRARYSTARTINGAREA.jpg.25fa5b21ca78fbd6b1475a888ba0d0b1.jpg

Edited by scientifikgenius
better download

9 hours ago, scientifikgenius said:

pretty good, very reminiscent of tricks and traps. good job, dude

Ok ty bro, I am trying as much as possible to be in the Sandy Petersen head 

4 hours ago, scientifikgenius said:

i finished my map, map17. it is titled "Evil Hidden In Plain Sight".

it takes place on a library on Earth, which contain sinister and dark secrets.

3 secrets, HNTR/HMP/UV implemented.

there is a separate deathmatch arena out of bounds on the map, and spawns are added for at most 3-player co-op.

at highest there are 57 monsters, 26 at the lowest.

please tell me if there are things i accidentally missed, or something that breaks the rules of the project.

DOWNLOAD HERE:
D2MD-Map17-Evil_Hidden_In_Plain_Sight.zip

Hide contents

LIBRARYSTARTINGAREA.jpg.25fa5b21ca78fbd6b1475a888ba0d0b1.jpg

A very honest map must I say, everything is fine to me :)

1 hour ago, janiform said:

@jazzmaster9 Added!
@Pegleg Added!

@Bri0che @scientifikgenius I look forward to trying these maps out later today!

This is futile since I've finished the map already :D (tell me if you find any bugs) :

https://www.mediafire.com/file/2x48k5ozaunetf1/MAP081.1.wad/file

This is "Tricks and Traps: MAP08" but not the classic one, this one is with my own trickeries and traps :) 

I kept the Sendy Petersen line with his basic level design aesthetic...

Most of peoples don't like his style, like... uh... this :

"It was inspired by much of Sandy Petersen's work on Doom 2, in the way that it is a half-assed piece of shit."

(no offense though, it actually made me laugh reading this and I can just agree the visuals of his maps are horrible) but I am some kind of a fan. Tricks and Traps was a good map of DOOM II in my opinion. I find that most of the Sandy Petersen's contributions to DOOM II were more like experimentations to express the DOOM level editor capacities, surely not with the most beautiful levels, but the most ingenious and original ones at least, with the limitations of 1994.

So...

Difficulties implemented.

Pistol Start friendly.

Fully respect the textures and monsters rules.

I tried my best to not use DOOM I decorations, but I used a little of them, because without that the map would have been too blend and empty.

I also tried my best to not use DOOM I trigger lines but some of them were indispensable.

For a total of a good 90% pur DOOM II content, I'm proud of the result honestly.

tested on DSDA and only DSDA.

The map is not fully completed though, deathmatch isn't implemented yet, and I'll eventually hear any suggestion, so this is not the definitive edition.

I think I would have loved to work on MAP24 btw as The Chasm is my favorite map of DOOM II (yes I'm a strange alien) but I'm already working on others projects so... :(

Edited by Bri0che

Just now, Bri0che said:

I find that most of the Sandy Petersen's contributions to DOOM II were more like experimentations to express the DOOM level editor capacities, surely not with the most beautiful levels, but the most ingenious and original ones at least, with the limitations of 1994.

yeah, i don't hate sandy's levels either, they're flawed but fun. you can't hate the guy for trying lol

@scientifikgenius Great map! I love all the Doomcute touches, the combat was exhilarating, and the DM arena goes the extra mile. You do a good job of evoking the library setting while keeping it abstract.

I noticed some forbidden textures and flats, namely:

Spoiler

Textures:
CEMENT1
CEMENT5
LITEBLU1 (or should this be an exception?)
METAL1
MIDBRN1
MIDGRATE
STARTAN2
SW1CMT
SW1PIPE
WOOD1
WOOD3

Flats:
CEIL1_1
FLAT1
FLOOR0_1

And a few suggestions:
- While a lot of the lighting is great and dynamic, some of the rooms have uniform and rather bright lighting. It might be worth dimming some lights and/or using flickering lights to spice up these rooms. Very interior rooms, like

Spoiler

the cave that opens after you pick up the blue key

, would especially benefit from being dark IMO.
- That cave feels a bit empty on easy and medium - it might be worth adding an enemy to the room on every difficulty.

Also, I noticed that the image in the first post was missing CRATE3, which has been added.

Edited by janiform

38 minutes ago, janiform said:

I noticed some forbidden textures and flats, namely:

Reveal hidden contents

Textures:
CEMENT1
CEMENT5
LITEBLU1 (or should this be an exception?)
METAL1
MIDBRN1
MIDGRATE
STARTAN2
SW1CMT
SW1PIPE
WOOD1
WOOD3

Flats:
CEIL1_1
FLAT1
FLOOR0_1

where's the STARTAN1 and CEIL1_1 textures? i don't see them

Sorry, I was just looking at the list of used textures in Doom Builder. They're probably in some default-textured area that's not accessible by the player - if so, they're not a problem.

I'm happy to see so much appreciation of Sandy Petersen's work. His maps for Doom and Quake feel like you're in the hands of a clever dungeon master. He also made over half the maps for Doom 2, so his style is a huge part of the Doom 2 experience.

@Bri0che Great map! Really fun, and the combat is absolutely brutal, at least for my skill level. The tricks were great and the copious secrets were highly appreciated. I didn't notice any forbidden textures.

@RaspozaAdded!

6 minutes ago, janiform said:

I'm happy to see so much appreciation of Sandy Petersen's work. His maps for Doom and Quake feel like you're in the hands of a clever dungeon master. He also made over half the maps for Doom 2, so his style is a huge part of the Doom 2 experience.

@Bri0che Great map! Really fun, and the combat is absolutely brutal, at least for my skill level. The tricks were great and the copious secrets were highly appreciated. I didn't notice any forbidden textures.

@RaspozaAdded!

Yeah "brutal" is the word. Maybe a liiiiittle bit over original DOOM II difficulty, maybe because of the monsters limitation, but I think that once you know their emplacement the map is far more easy.

Thank you ! :)

Just now, Bri0che said:

Yeah "brutal" is the word. Maybe a liiiiittle bit over original DOOM II difficulty, maybe because of the monsters limitation, but I think that once you know their emplacement the map is far more easy.

Thank you ! :)

i liked your take on tricks and traps, very tricky and trappy. it definitely gave good tribute to the original, loved it!

i redid my map, edited it so i could find the disallowed textures that were possibly visible. i'll edit my previous message so it has a new link

I'm wondering if we could make an exception for SUPPORT textures? They're a pretty vital texture for most styles of maps, after all.

If not, that's cool and I can probably find some way to work around it :)

Okay, here's my MAP23:  Abyss. It has difficulty settings implemented-though I may have miscalibrated them- and all the player starts. This will be my first published map, so let me know where the glaring errors are! MAP23_Abyss_-_janiform V2.zip

@scientifikgenius Thanks for the update! The cave is definitely more ominous now. I forgot to mention last time, but I really like how you were able to incorporate the Wolf3d textures into the theme of "evil hidden in plain sight" so effectively. Awesome map. Let me know if I should mark this as completed!

@Somniac The project is more interesting if we have to find replacements those common textures, IMO.

@Katamori Added!
@Fryuko Added!
@Sneezy McGlassFace Added! Only ten slots left!

Edited by janiform

1 hour ago, Sneezy McGlassFace said:

This is absolutely genius project idea. Can I claim MAP24, please?

can't wait to see your take on the chasm

@janiform that's cool, I've found PANBORD is doing a good enough job as a support texture. Nice map BTW! Very Doom II-like but harder.

Couple WIP shots of MAP03, fairly happy with how its progressing:

CC1.jpg

CC.jpg

10 minutes ago, scientifikgenius said:

can't wait to see your take on the chasm

Ooooooooh, that's neat idea, I didn't even think of this.

Not sure I can live up to the legacy of the objectively best doom2 map, though

7 minutes ago, Sneezy McGlassFace said:

Ooooooooh, that's neat idea, I didn't even think of this.

Not sure I can live up to the legacy of the objectively best doom2 map, though

there's no fault in trying at least lol

1 hour ago, janiform said:

@scientifikgenius Thanks for the update! The cave is definitely more ominous now. I forgot to mention last time, but I really like how you were able to incorporate the Wolf3d textures into the theme of "evil hidden in plain sight" so effectively. Awesome map. Let me know if I should mark this as completed!

no problem, dawg! btw, yes, my map is complete, and you may mark it as complete. thank you for your feedback, dude! loved making this map.