[Community Project] Doom 2 Minus Doom (30 maps complete!))

2 hours ago, janiform said:

@NeedHealth Great map, thanks for the update!

@BedrockCastle No problem.

@Rorix MAP01 is all yours. I'll use "The Castle" for MAP19. Thanks!

Since we're approaching the halfway point to the project's deadline, I just wanted to check in with everyone who hasn't posted a WIP or completed their map yet for a status update: @Kuro_mahoh @Anarkzie @Chainie @big smoke @Katamori @jazzmaster9 @Fryuko @GamingGargoyle @Pegleg @Sneezy McGlassFace @DoctorNuriel @Andrea Rovenski @Thelokk @Bochnik Chleba @SilverMiner

already did some parts of the layout but so far i dont have much to show 

i couldnt do much progress on it as of yet, cause i was busy with my other mods 

ill start doing more progress and eventually send some screenshots too from now on

(also, thanks for the reminder, i kinda forgot i was going to do something for this lol)

3 hours ago, janiform said:

Since we're approaching the halfway point to the project's deadline, I just wanted to check in with everyone who hasn't posted a WIP or completed their map yet for a status update: @Kuro_mahoh @Anarkzie @Chainie @big smoke @Katamori @jazzmaster9 @Fryuko @GamingGargoyle @Pegleg @Sneezy McGlassFace @DoctorNuriel @Andrea Rovenski @Thelokk @Bochnik Chleba @SilverMiner

Didn't start yet, but I'm going to start working on it very soon, I just need to get through with the last week of my school first. 

10 hours ago, janiform said:

Since we're approaching the halfway point to the project's deadline, I just wanted to check in with everyone who hasn't posted a WIP or completed their map yet for a status update: 

I've been slowly working away at my map. I would say it's around 40-50 percent done and still planning to complete it eventually. 

10 hours ago, janiform said:

Since we're approaching the halfway point to the project's deadline, I just wanted to check in with everyone who hasn't posted a WIP or completed their map yet for a status update:

I've done about 80% of my map but I've stop working on it for the time being. Will resume in a couple of weeks.

12 hours ago, janiform said:

Howdy, I'm about 3/4 way done but recently my passion for doom dropped to 0... Sorry about that but I'll give Doom a rest for a while and it'll get back to me, I'm sure. My map will be done long before the deadline, though, take my word for it. Unless something serious and out of my control happens like me getting hit by a bus or something.

Hope this is okay with you.

15 hours ago, janiform said:

I have just a starting area, which I made at day 1, but I haven't touched my map since. Though no worry, I have this map in my todo.

Map01 is finished. It's basically an amped-up version of the original. I tried to make sure it's not too difficult, but the weakest enemy available is the wolfenstein trooper. I'm happy to remake it if you want something different.

Edited by Rorix

Cool, thanks for checking in, everyone! I recently learned that @Thelokk, who claimed MAP30, is banned from Doomworld. Does anyone know how I could get in touch with them?

@RorixGreat map! I think this is a perfect opener for the project, not too difficult but clearly Doom 2. Nice doomcute electrical panel. I liked all the secrets. The map obviously refers to Entryway, but has it's own identity too. If you add co-op and DM starts to it I think it's good to go! Do you have a title for it?

@janiformAdded multiplayer starts, as well as a couple of small fixes. Moved the chaingun on easy, and added some activation lines for multiplayer. I think "Access Point" would be a good name.

Edited by Rorix

@Rorix Awesome! Thanks for submitting another great map. We're at 13 maps complete!

I'll ask again - does anyone know a way to contact @Thelokk, who claimed MAP30 but has been banned?

17 hours ago, janiform said:

@Rorix Awesome! Thanks for submitting another great map. We're at 13 maps complete!

I'll ask again - does anyone know a way to contact @Thelokk, who claimed MAP30 but has been banned?

I've seen her in Meowgi's discord server Pacifist Paradise. You can try contacting her there. 

Edited by Sneezy McGlassFace

On 6/19/2023 at 2:10 PM, Demonic Meatball said:

Little update : map is about 20 percent done. Some screenshots :

Hide contents

1921255826_Capturedcran2023-06-19202354.png.408601cdc95b32ef8256fb6ff9db35ae.png

1580530585_Capturedcran2023-06-19202531.png.bb2c90a52d4c7ce00769c15ce4d14157.png

In the mean time I did this little midi for map01. Tried my best to do it Bobby-style. What do y'all think ?

Running from Doom 1 assets.zip

well done midi. definitely fits for an early-level sorta vibe. 

cool little arena too, i'm guessing this is for map30? very nice very gud. good job

Map is done and ready for playtest ! Made a new Bobby-style midi to go along with it. It's not Among the Livig by Anthrax, I promise :-)

Name : Sinecure

Slot : 30

Author : Demonic Meatball

Midi : Watcher of the Damned by Demonic Meatball

Tested with : Crispy Doom, GZDoom, PRBoom+

Sinecure.zip

Screenshots :

Spoiler

39123521_Capturedcran2023-06-24174029.png.4644d89a0a070098071acbf24bb88a5b.png93019925_Capturedcran2023-06-24174851.png.41b29458a8d8ba6071cbf9816c278190.png1563042651_Capturedcran2023-06-24174919.png.d6bcd99865295019079bd1fb2b62d644.png

Edited by Demonic Meatball
Forgot the screenshots

@Demonic MeatballGreat work on the map and the midis! The map feels very Doom 2. I like the contrast between the bright outdoor spaces and very dark interiors, and the blood dripping in front of the big switches is a great idea. The only issue I noticed is that the switch above the column that lowers in the southwestern room doesn't seem to do anything.

The midis capture the Bobby Prince style very well and would fit right in to Doom 2. If @Rorix is okay with it being used in MAP01, I think it would fit well. I don't suppose you'd be interested in doing more midis in this style?

Edited by janiform

8 hours ago, janiform said:

@Demonic MeatballGreat work on the map and the midis! The map feels very Doom 2. I like the contrast between the bright outdoor spaces and very dark interiors, and the blood dripping in front of the big switches is a great idea. The only issue I noticed is that the switch above the column that lowers in the southwestern room doesn't seem to do anything.

The midis capture the Bobby Prince style very well and would fit right in to Doom 2. If @Rorix is okay with it being used in MAP01, I think it would fit well. I don't suppose you'd be interested in doing more midis in this style?

Thanks ! Glad you like the blood drops ;) I’ll see what I can do about that south-western roof thing.

For the midis, I wanted to more of those actually, I even already have 2 of those and a third on the way. I’ll send them later tho, gotta sleep rn.

Wrong number of midis

On 1/14/2023 at 11:34 PM, Bagellio said:

D2MD M21v2 - bagellio.zip

MAP 21: Polly

My contribution, Polly. It was inspired by much of Sandy Petersen's work on Doom 2, in the way that it is a half-assed piece of shit. I made it in like an hour, and I hope you all hate it as much as i do.

edit: accidentally included doom texture like an idiot, file updated.

Hide contents

dfmrwwk-ce3ac778-4636-4c46-a53c-e689cf62

dfmrwwo-3ffe7781-c387-42aa-a871-f5cab01f

Haha, Polly - Nirvana

Funny music pun

I have bleach on tape, nevermind on CD, and in utero on vinyl

Sound like a fun project.

But...

On 1/13/2023 at 5:15 PM, janiform said:

Weapons: everything except the single-barrel shotgun

This is just a big NO for me.

As promised, here are the midis. Sorry there are only 2, got confused yesterday. About the midis :

- D_COUNTD is called Former Commando Central, and it's basically Countdown to death but it's bearable.

- D_DDTBLU is called Fuss and it's also very similar to it's Doom 2 counterpart, albeit with a little bit of The Healer Stalks mixed in.

Also, I modified MAP30. It's got a working switch, a reworked version of the fight that happens around that switch, and some extra blood-drippage.

5 hours ago, Herr Dethnout said:

Sound like a fun project.

But...

This is just a big NO for me.

True, however (at least I feel) the chaingun does enough to fill that slot due to similar damage output, plus there's always the SSG.

JGsa9fU.png

Up next on my to-do list is my entry for this community project! Here's a small preview of what I have so far - I intend to base the shapes and layout on the shape of a (geometric/abstract) rose, with the player starting in the stem and making his way to the heart where the exit teleporter lies.

1ce7e0b33ba4135cb1ab8ef6169be439.jpg