MyHouse.wad

After experiencing it a few times, I found MyHouse reminded me a lot of Alan Resnick's works, mainly 'This House Has People In It' and 'Unedited Footage of a Bear'. They kinda share a theme of a regular, suburban environment slowly degrades into chaos due to the supernatural force that is the human condition.

On 3/8/2023 at 10:29 PM, ZeMystic said:
  Hide contents

Okay. So the artifacts don't carry between levels.

Which means upon completion of the first ending and Underhalls, you're back at square one. However, while watching @Egg Boy he found an "escape button" in the boiler room of house #2 which lowers some metal box and you can walk behind the wall and go to the brutalist house without burning down the house. This also means if you fall and the void and go to the fireblu room in the stairs, the house is still intact and you can go back with the artifacts.

Edit: Okay so, big boy edit here we go.

1. First, @Speedy Eggbert was right, the sinks absolutely affect the bathtub which takes you to a flooded house which leads to a bathhouse area. I haven't yet been able to find anything in the bathhouse area besides some ghosts because navigating it is pretty frustrating. I think there is something in there that I am absolutely missing though, because I haven't found anything in it besides the sky holes that take you back to the infinite staircase.
  2. Second, using the escape fake wall in the boiler room and going through the brutalist houses, grabbing all the artifacts, and then using the infinite stairs to get to house 2 does fill out the picture frame. So far I am missing 1 from house 2, and 3 from mirrored house 2. I haven't yet found anymore areas in either the mirrored or normal houses, which leads me to believe that I absolutely did leave something in the bathhouse. 
  3. Third, thinking about how the first ending takes you back to the ruined house because you switched the breaker, I went through the brutalist house to the airport and went for the ending. After you jump, you return to the house but instead of it being burned, it's just empty. I didn't find anything in there, but the picture frame is still there. As soon as you leave the house, it's gone. I like to think this would be ending #2, or the "mediocre" ending if you think about ending #1 as being the bad ending. 
  4. Fourth, during the brutalist section, I kept the dogs alive because I wanted to see if you can get the dog to do anything with the dog house. As far as I can tell, no.

I am heading to bed for now, but if someone gets to it before me y'all should try picking up the empty pill bottle without grabbing the refill. Maybe that changes something? Also during the flooded section when you are heading to the bathhouse the bookshelf covering the breaker is still open, maybe using that might do something?

Am I the only one who can't find the fake wall? been exploring for a good hour and haven't found anything new

On 9/28/2023 at 6:08 PM, KingOfTheHill5765 said:

Am I the only one who can't find the fake wall? been exploring for a good hour and haven't found anything new

You are probably playing the wad file and not the pk3 file

On 9/25/2023 at 9:42 AM, Olopo said:

Hi everyone, I recently watched part 4 of Davidnewton’s how it works series, in which he mentions that there are multiple versions of the map. I’m curious to see the first 2 versions of the map (I started playing late so I only have the 3rd), so if anyone has them please let me know.

Here's the March 26 version, which I believe is the second of the three versions: myhouse.pk3.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought House of Leaves because of this map. The story is pretty sad and it's executed so well that you don't notice it until you start thinking about wtf is going on. Everything ties together so beautifully and the ending changed my outlook on life lol.

On 9/25/2023 at 1:42 PM, Olopo said:

Hi everyone, I recently watched part 4 of Davidnewton’s how it works series, in which he mentions that there are multiple versions of the map. I’m curious to see the first 2 versions of the map (I started playing late so I only have the 3rd), so if anyone has them please let me know.

As far as I know the "multiple versions" are just silent bugfixes, you're not going to unravel some big mystery by getting softlocked in an older version.

Well...That was something. After a blind run and another one after  with the "guides" and clues and stuff you just couldn't figure out yourself, this is still the most inspired and insane wad I've ever played.

I am, however, afraid of this "style" becoming a trend.

Considering how popular this wad has become, including to non doomers, specifically following high quality youtube  videos  discussing it thoroughly, I fear an age where it is emulated to a point where it loses its appeal as countless "copywads" drive it's uniqueness into the ground.

This should be a  magnicient, personal and standalone thing, and left to age gracefully in it's wonderful patina of cryptic intricasy, to be rediscoved by future generations, who would learn about it's very existence by the elder ones whispering legends around a campfire at midnight. 

Let's go back to blasting demons in cool places, still waiting for btsx3...

I'm sure it will get imitators, but I doubt that many of the imitators will come close to capturing the sort of atmosphere of Myhouse.  It's so multi-faceted that while individual parts can easily be copied, the sum of its parts will be very difficult to replicate.  It's not just the non-Euclidean space, there's a specific atmosphere that the WAD generates and it is enhanced somewhat for example by Esselfortium's accompanying music.  As a fan of film music I'd draw an analogy with the way Thomas Newman's American Beauty sound became so iconic that many other composers tried to replicate it and most had very limited success.

6 hours ago, Snark said:

Considering how popular this wad has become, including to non doomers, specifically following high quality youtube  videos  discussing it thoroughly, I fear an age where it is emulated to a point where it loses its appeal as countless "copywads" drive it's uniqueness into the ground.

I'm not bored by imitator clone tribute or others! The most interesting thing about the “phenomenon” of my house is that it can allow people to be curious!

And curiosity leads us to discover that Doom/Doom2 is not a game frozen in time with a few official addons but that it has a vast and diverse community!

On 10/24/2023 at 11:43 AM, Snark said:

See Four Comas by Dawnbreeze (Map 34) in the RAMP 2023 project.

If this is anything to go by, the experimentation and creativity that My House has inspired is only likely to produce other exciting pieces, but with their own identities. It's a key that unlocks a door to new potential...

On 10/23/2023 at 6:43 PM, Snark said:

Well...That was something. After a blind run and another one after  with the "guides" and clues and stuff you just couldn't figure out yourself, this is still the most inspired and insane wad I've ever played.

This should be a  magnicient, personal and standalone thing, and left to age gracefully in it's wonderful patina of cryptic intricasy, to be rediscoved by future generations, who would learn about it's very existence by the elder ones whispering legends around a campfire at midnight. 

Let's go back to blasting demons in cool places, still waiting for btsx3...

I keep seeing people voice this concern, but more than half a year later I've yet to see any copycats. Making a map of this style is a pretty impressive feat, so even if something takes heavy inspiration, it'd be worth having IMO. I for one would welcome an influx of more experimental maps.

On 10/24/2023 at 8:43 AM, Snark said:

The Erik Alm style has never been replicated Ever. If it does it will ruin Scythe 1 and 2 forever and lost its appeal with the influx of maps trying to copy it.

Spoiler

/s

cool maps inspiring more cool maps is cool 

Edited by jazzmaster9

19 minutes ago, Dee Legit said:

The PS1 port just dropped

Nothing trumps this... this is the pinnacle of creativity

Edited by Skemech

5 hours ago, Dee Legit said:

That is a truly cursed mashup of alpha and PSX Doom

Honestly the fact that they could have just used actual PSX Doom or one of the many GZDoom recreations of it but instead opted to create their own PSX-style Doom clone instead makes this feel much more spooky than it otherwise would have.

It also ensures it is entirely incompatible with brutal doom, which is pretty nice.

Yeah, at this point everyone knows that Steve's ex-wife has put it all on TikTok, but here we generally abide by the creator's wish to remain anonymous and consider posting this stuff to be basically doxxing. Please don't post more of it.

13 minutes ago, Gez said:

Yeah, at this point everyone knows that Steve's ex-wife has put it all on TikTok, but here we generally abide by the creator's wish to remain anonymous and consider posting this stuff to be basically doxxing. Please don't post more of it.

Yeah, apologies. I've removed my post.

I've just been reading back through the forum and saw the conversations around it. I came across this account on TikTok and assumed it would be okay to share since it's the person themself who's shared it and not someone who leaked it.

No ill intent was meant, just tried to add to conversation incase it wasn't already covered.

You know, when I think of it. The unbelievable thing about MyHouse is not your childhood friends ghost editing your map when you are not looking. But that Veddge has a working floppy disk drive in 2023.

17 minutes ago, Serathis said:

You know, when I think of it. The unbelievable thing about MyHouse is not your childhood friends ghost editing your map when you are not looking. But that Veddge has a working floppy disk drive in 2023.

Well, my dad has a working one that connects via USB, so it's believable to me! He got it last year when I told him I was thinking about making a Doom map, so he wanted to find the one he made on an old floppy disk. He did find it, and most importantly, he finally finished the map he started working on in the mid 90s. He must have hit vanilla limits back then, cause I remember the reason he never finished the map was because the editor wouldn't allow him to make it bigger than it was, so he had to make some adjustments to it to make it beatable back then. But now he was able to make it even bigger and fool around with with Boom line actions and stuff.

18 hours ago, Dee Legit said:

I was expecting this to just be a mod for the PSX version, but this looks to be a custom Doom game! That is really cool. And unsettling in its own way

It's still insane to me how much this WAD blew up. I'm the only one of my friends really into classic Doom, but a few of them have asked me about MyHouse and if I had played it. At least one of them watched the PowerPak video too and enjoyed it. And I've seen people say this is in contention for Game of the Year for them. When I played through this, I never thought it would become such a part of internet culture where people would know it, let alone make stuff like this SilvaGunner rip. That would have been too niche, even for Silva. I had no part in making this WAD, and even though I was posting in this thread early on and saw it the day it was made, I had no part in figuring out its secrets. But I still feel a weird sense of pride seeing this become as popular as it did. It's kinda like how when a small band I enjoy suddenly becomes big, you know? You can't help but feel happy that they're getting the recognition they deserve. I know the discourse has taken multiple turns in ways that were personal and not the most pleasant, but I hope Veddge is insanely proud with its reception. (sorry for getting kinda sentimental about this, idk why I am)

On 3/3/2023 at 7:51 PM, kevansevans said:

Glad to see this finally released, thanks for having me on board. I'm still in love with all the details.

Though, problem, (and sorry for posting this here, you don't seem to be online on Discord), I could have sworn this door was asking for a blue keycard, but I think you accidentally left this on blue skull. It's a mistake I've seen a few times when new mappers convert to UDMF, so I don't blame you.Screenshot_Doom_20230303_174849.png.50cf517263656ccd9139d9d1e160edd9.png

Nah, that's a feature (I'm serious.) Did you get the PK3 or the wad? The wad is the bad one. Get the PKS (It's either pk3 or pks.)

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/26/2023 at 5:36 AM, jmac said:

I keep seeing people voice this concern, but more than half a year later I've yet to see any copycats. Making a map of this style is a pretty impressive feat, so even if something takes heavy inspiration, it'd be worth having IMO. I for one would welcome an influx of more experimental maps.

Sorry to respond to an older comment, but I came back to this thread to see if there's been any boom in MyHouse copycats. An influx of experimental maps would indeed be cool but I think what people are worried about is an influx of inferior MyHouse clones. MyHouse draws very heavily on what's been popular in internet horror for the past couple of years and I think that's also why it managed to blow up outside of the Doom community. Unfortunately there's also a lot of oversaturation going on in internet horror. For example, since Kane Pixels' Backrooms shorts, YouTube has been flooded with subpar copycat videos. Same happened in the "analog horror" genre: there tons of poorly made videos all copying eachother. 

I was curious to see if the same was going to happen with MyHouse. I imagine making a MyHouse-style doom wad is more difficult and therefore a lot less accesible than making a Backrooms scene in Blender or making some shitty "Mandela Catalogue" knockoff by animating a jpeg and slapping a VHS filter on it. I could be wrong but so far there doesn't seem to be a flood of 2nd rate MyHouse clones?