Hell On World Tour (A community project of maps sets around the world!) (RC1 out)

We're coming closer to the deadline that will be next week, so far a lots of impressive maps by newbies and veterans, i like It so far! So, i made a intro and credits map and working on a secret map...

@Lord Pachellus: thank you for your comments! no, at the moment the map has no difficult balancing.

@Walter: I'll not be able to update my map before the deadline. Can I do it later?

Yeah, sure.

This is a message for everyone involved: if you are still working on your maps for this project, you have the public testing phase period to upload your maps, after Monday's deadline new maps by new authors will no longer accepted.

Finally got this sucker done, balancing and bug fixing can be hammered out later.

Title: Muckmire

Description: a very tough map, not sunlust tier CBT but tough and fair. No "slaughter until the final fight which is a bunch of weaker enemies so it wraps up fast. (the manc in the hammer secret is intentionally stuck)

Build time: 1 month

New music: Engage by James Paddock

Tested with: DSDA 0.27.5, Crispy Doom, and Doom Retro

Muckmire.zip

Posted (edited)
On 12/3/2023 at 11:35 PM, Walter confetti said:

i saw the problem in this texture being mangled up for some weird reason and also found some other minor bugs like missing textures in this stair sector and un-pegged textures in this part of the map...

limblostingothenburg (2).zip

Sorry for the late response. Heres the texture text that was bugging out. fixed the textures in the map and added a new midi.(Enter the eternal fire by bathory)

SWED2.png.be249d440b890db40ae3ef8b4e0f2d05.pngSWED1.png.59a0c095808770722bd958d2022e8548.png

Edited by dyshoriaroc

Posted (edited)

Thanks for your maps guys, going to test these soon.

A question for Hebonky: where is your map located in the world?

Edited by Walter confetti

3 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

A question for Hebonky: where is your map located in the world?

Southern US, specifically Tennessee most of my state is a swamp year round, and I live around the corner of a nature reserve that is... also a big swamp

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Hebonky said:

Finally got this sucker done, balancing and bug fixing can be hammered out later.

Title: Muckmire

Description: a very tough map, not sunlust tier CBT but tough and fair. No "slaughter until the final fight which is a bunch of weaker enemies so it wraps up fast. (the manc in the hammer secret is intentionally stuck)

Build time: 1 month

New music: Engage by James Paddock

Tested with: DSDA 0.27.5, Crispy Doom, and Doom Retro

Muckmire.zip

Very good map @Hebonky

I've playtested your map, it flows very well. However I found some issues and glitches. And I had to inspect your map in editor because I was unable to find 3 of 4 secrets by exploration (in part because there is a map breaker problem). I will make 2 posts. This first one with map breaker issues. And a second one with UI problems and glitches.

My first impression when I played (hidden because contains spoilers):

Spoiler

In a first moment, I though the map was broken to find the secrets, but after use some complex exploration, I discovered how to backtrack. I also though some monster spaws were broken, because I finish the map and it was missing 99 kills. But no, making the correct steps, everybody is correctly spawned. 

I enjoyed so much that about one fourth of monster fights is optional!

So, I will start indicating the 2 map breakers I have found. These must be fixed:

Spoiler

1. It is missing the "Impassable" flag in the fence in the hall where you get the plasma gun (the one that is selected with red color in editor). You can simple drop half of level by jumping throught it directly to the final arena.

image.png.ccff4889dfd3295e3f7aa2b1b1aae4a1.png

Spoiler

2. The other map breaker problem is that your lift to return from the final arena (I am assuming it should be a lift), is broken. So, once you have reached the final arena, there is no backtracking anymore. What makes me understand it is that the trigger linedef appears to be with wrong tag. It is lowering when you walk through the linedef that spaws all the demons in the arena, that is the tag 46. And you is also using the same tag 46 in the lift. So, how it lowers automatically, the event 62 (SR Lift Lower Wait Raise) does not work. See in the picture below? I guess it is only a matter of change the lift tag to the next free one and also change in the event 62 to trigger the same tag.

image.png.e757d836b666c56866c1360abeb2f600.png

Edited by Lord Pachellus

Updated version:

-Fixed some alignment

-Fixed the walk through railing.

-fixed the lift in the finale

-made back tracking more noticeable

Muckmire.zip

50 minutes ago, Hebonky said:

Southern US, specifically Tennessee most of my state is a swamp year round, and I live around the corner of a nature reserve that is... also a big swamp

Hey, I know another Tennesseean on this forum out there; @Immorpher!

Now I will add the glitches and strange UI behaviors I found (the fix of them is optional, but it can make you map better).

UI glitch (issue #3):

Spoiler

3. From the hall where the plasma gun is located (that is the same where the breaker issue number 1 above happens), it is possible seeing the 2 Cyberdemon heads. To fix it, just make the holes where they are located deeper.

image.png.2d5d234051fe9a0e7d6d974966e1f9bd.png

UI glitches (issues #4 and #5):

Spoiler

4. There are missing textures that can make skybox when looking from the "stairs" right after the bluekey/armor/soulsphere.

image.png.e17a957100db6dd20b84b5b37dfd4799.png

5. The picture below is the continuation of the issue #4 above (missing texture), but also shows another problem, that is this switch that has no action. I guess you copied the lift where the bluekey/armor/soulsphere are located, and just forget to change the texture of this size, am I right? I guess this is should not be a switch...

image.png.a2fb6e0a42464e6bf4885956a9177e10.png

UI glitches #6, #7 and #8 (only textures misalignment):

Spoiler

6. Where you get the Megasphere:

image.png.5bf2b8b3d210d0262e09409154066eb4.png

7. In all of these windows with computers, in both sides. There are more than what is shown in the screenshot, but I guess you took the idea...

image.png.1c9cbd75b6ec3189e8bbb6ebe5feec9d.png

8. Misalignement in the mid grate, in this big window (by selecting all the linedefs that compose the window and pressing Ctrl+A will fix the UI issue):

image.png.4919342bca9abd84d82ee349bd247472.png

One place where player can get softlocked in 2 ways (issues #9 and #10):

Spoiler

9. The player can be softlocked between the 2 pillars indicated in the screenshot below. No way to die (but face rocket). Maybe moving the pillars a little bit to open space, I don't know. 

image.png.161a4263ebe2b47d3995a50a186addb2.png

10. It is one additional suggestion to this part. I got the idea, that if players falls down in the poison, it is death because there is no how to return. However, how this is the way to a tricky secret, and there is a platforming puzzle in the pillars, it is easy to fall down in the poison specially when moving up through the pillars, what I consider that this is a "cheap death" due to the absence of a way to return from the poison pool. What do you think about adding a teleporter in the poison to make user return maybe to Tag 34 (or anywhere close)? - In a certain way, it is also a softlock. You don't need to take my suggestion, and this won't change your map overall quality, it is just because the first time I got here, the secret was closed, and I did not understand what had to do, and died a lot here until to figure out that the secret is opened elsewhere... It is a little frustrating...

Here one suggestion about one of the secrets (issue #11):

Spoiler

There is no kind of visual indication that this part of fence here is possible to move through, what makes player to teleport to a secret. And if you make a small "hole" in this fence? Maybe removing a small part of it, something that will indicate to user that in this place maybe has something to explore... By taking a look at the map, it is possible to see the green teleported line, but it is strange having to take a look at map, or by luck, transpass the fence without knowing that there was something there...

image.png.3dbb88a39d5f11ec78ef89492fa7be8e.png

And to finish, the issue #12. This one is not optional. There is no balancing among the easy, medium and hard skills. In all the number of monsters is the same, and I guess items are also the same. It is a requirement to the WAD to make skill differentiation. I guess the skill for UV is perfect (there is neither ammo nor health in abundance). But I guess that for lower difficulties, you should cut monsters. I think that in easy skill, maybe it should have about half of the monsters, and in medium, about 25% ou 30% less monsters, something like that.

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, Hebonky said:

Updated version:

-Fixed some alignment

-Fixed the walk through railing.

-fixed the lift in the finale

-made back tracking more noticeable

Muckmire.zip

Hi. My second post about suggestions about UI glitches, maybe has some issues you have already fixed. But you replied while I was creating the post, and I had no time to replay it. But please, take a look at my findings and disregard the ones you have fixed already.

Once again: very good map! It lacks only some small details to become perfect!

Only the issues #1, #2 (from my first post) and #11 (from my second post) are really mandatory. The others are just polishing.

I got one more issue, by inspecting the map errors (issue #12):

Spoiler

12. This Mancubus is stuck:

image.png.950a8d8b922ac190107b27c738faf409.png

Edited by Lord Pachellus
To improve the post and add one extra bug

Another update

-texture alignment

-more detailing on the rocks in the final fight (area feels much less flat)

-Difficulties implemented

-Emphasized the joke mancubi in the Hammer secret

Spoiler

doom04.png.eecd445fca71dd0ccf63a3ebcecd6ad5.png

-Added an out for the slime pit

Muckmire.zip

Final fixes for now

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Hebonky said:

Another update

-texture alignment

-more detailing on the rocks in the final fight (area feels much less flat)

-Difficulties implemented

-Emphasized the joke mancubi in the Hammer secret

Reveal hidden contents

doom04.png.eecd445fca71dd0ccf63a3ebcecd6ad5.png

-Added an out for the slime pit

Muckmire.zip

Final fixes for now

Now that I have read that the Mancubus in the secret area is intentionally stuck. I didn't understand why before. But now it makes sense!!!

Ok. I have no time now to replay. But there are other people in playtesting.

Have you fixed the 2 issues I found that are map breakers?

Edited by Lord Pachellus

Yeah they're fixed! I swore I put impassible on the railings when I made that area, but I guess I didn't. Thanks for pointing this stuff out.

Posted (edited)

A first beta of the project is released! Testing phase starting now!

15 maps completed, 1 wip, cl 2. More info will come later.

My name in the credits map is AAAAAAA by the way.

Thanks! Next version will come maybe tommorow... missing only title and more rearrangement of dehacked\umpainfo lumps

Sorry for the double post, but here's the newest release of the project compilation:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/be5j08pn74i27k7/howt-betaRC1.zip/file

many things changed here from the previous release, like:

• Second half of map order is been changed from the original to this (thanks LordPachellus!)
  • Added latest updated version of stochastic and Angry Saint map
  • Fixed the keen trickery in MAP15, works good in GzDoom (and probably in Zdoom compatible ports as well), made some minor graphical changes in the credits section accordingly to the new map order
  • Completed MAP32 both in gameplay and layout
  • Fixed DEHACKED and UMAPINFO lumps, wrote new stories for DEHACKED
  • Added the place locations in the title graphics, overall the authors will be known in MAP15
  • A brand new TITLEPIC thanks to the talented "The Tainted Slav"

Also, this is a probable release candidate, weee! The only thing i think is missing is to fix the keen bug in Eternity Engine (the crushers doesn't explode for some reason)...

Maybe I'm cranky because just got over the flu and I've had a headache for days but those invisible walls in map03 irked me like none other. Not to say it's a bad map. They're all top-notch. But, man, invisible walls...

...I'm glad I have a backup keyboard, just in case. Probably just a "me thing," though. 

Spoiler

Just kidding. I love my keyboard and I would never let anything happen to it.

Posted (edited)

genial_gennels.screenshot.png.25cf5ba892d96c369e32b9a7f889f9a0.png

hi! hopefully this would be my final update to my map. please note that this includes new and updated textures (textures with the prefixes [rrp~] are patches and [rrf~] are flats.

• title: genial gennels (version 1.130).
  • author: rita remton.
  • description: some architecture styles which could be found in my country (uk), namely medieval, gothic, victorian, brutalist and modern.
  • build time: about 3.5 months, on and off, from 5th december 2023 to 22nd march 2024.
  • textures: [howt texture pack] by [walter  confetti], [otex] by [ola björling (ukiro)], original flags are from [wikicommon], the rest are made by myself including the skybox.
  • music: [canon rock], a midi cover of [canon rock] by [jerryc], which is an adaptation of the classical music [canon in d major] by [johann pachelbel] from the year 1680. original midi author is unknown. the final version was slightly edited (added/removed a few notes) by myself.
  • source ports tested: gzdoom, dsda, crispy.
  • software used: ultimate doom builder (map editor), slade (wad editor), gimp (image editor), inkscape (illustrator), signal (online midi editor).
  • playtesters: my bro, papa, my bf, debs, @Lord Pachellus, @A Handsome Fridge, @Nootsy-Nootsy, @Amiga Angel.
  • special thanks to: mama, @Walter confetti (howt teamlead), mappers from the howt community project, all playtesters, @NeilForshaw (for a good suggestion on editing the midi).
  • tribute: the well in the brutalist area is a homage to the awesome map [precipitous extirpation] by @Sectorslayer.

[download here].

thank you for wanting to play my map! i hope you enjoy it!
- rita remton, 22nd march 2023.

change log:

Spoiler

1.130.release.public.wad
1.129.gothic.hellknights square.barrels.add.wad
1.128.debug.brutalist.stairways.crescent.gate.raised.bars should have same height.wad
1.127.debug.brutalist.doorway.texture.mismatch.wad
1.126.debug.medieval.junction 1.revenants place.cover pit.hide.wad
1.125.debug.medieval.junction 2.chaingunner.need to unstuck 2 units.wad
1.124.map.easiest difficulty.remove some ammo+health to reduce overflooding.wad
1.123.debug.brutalist.stairways.crescent.brightness.mismatch.wad
1.122.debug.victorian.sky.slime trail.rectify by adding sky transfer sectors.wad
1.121.debug.gothic.sky.slime trail.rectify by adding sky transfer sectors.wad
1.120.debug.medieval.map exit.sky.slime trail.rectify by adding sky transfer sectors.wad
1.119.debug.modern.secret.secret tag.make unavoidable.wad
1.118.debug.gothic.2nd secret.secret tag area.change.wad
1.117.debug.medieval.start point.exit route.lift to exit.impassable lines.add.wad
1.116.debug.medieval.start point.doorway to junction 1.ceiling.texture.mismatch.wad
1.115.debug.medieval.junction 2.lift from victorian.backwall.add.wad
1.114.test.map.all secrets.wad
1.113.medieval.junction 1.middle lift.redundant control sector.remove.wad
1.112.medieval.4 revenants gennel.pickup nook.roof.wad
1.111.debug.medieval.4 revenants gennel.switch.eastern.wall.texture.change.wad
1.110.debug.gothic.junction 2.teleport sectors.hide.wad
1.109.debug.modern.entryway.teleport sectors.hide.wad
1.108.debug.modern.entryway.archvile alcove.barrels.add.wad
1.107.debug.gothic.gate.mancubus' place.south wall.lighten up.wad
1.106.debug.gothic.gate.lift from junction 2.remove double raise.wad
1.105.debug.gothic.hellknights square.lift.texture.arrows.rectify.wad
1.104.debug.gothic.hellknights square.unknown spacing.remove.wad
1.103.debug.victorian.caco closets.sound propagation.tidyup.wad
1.102.debug.medieval.junction 2.texture.mismatch.wad
1.101.test.map.easiest difficulty.baron could snipe from all teleport locations.wad
1.100.medieval.junction 1.arches.add.wad
1.099.medieval.junction 1.exit.roof.battlements.add.wad
1.098.debug.map.floor rim.texture.tidyup.wad
1.097.debug.medieval.4 revenants gennel.trap.floors.heights.should be the same.wad
1.096.medieval.start point.archvile alcove.frame.add.wad
1.095.junction 3.entryway.pickups nook.frame.add.wad
1.094.medieval.start point.stairway.pickups nook.frame.add.wad
1.093.modern.entryway.pickups nook.frame.add.wad
1.092.brutalist.crescent stairway.pickups nook.frame.add.wad
1.091.modern.exit switch.pickups nook.frame.add.wad
1.090.gothic.hellknights square.entryway.pickups nook.frame.add.wad
1.089.medieval.junction 2.frame.add.wad
1.088.gothic.shotgunner's gennel.archvile alcove.frame.add.wad
1.087.medieval.to junction 2.pickup nook.south.frame.add..wad
1.086.medieval.start point.stairway.doorway.add frame.wad
1.085.medieval.1st junction.door to junction 2.add frame.wad
1.084.medieval.1st junction.window.add frame.wad
1.083.medieval.start point.pinkie's area.pickup nook.add frame.wad
1.082.brutalist.difficulty.remake.wad
1.081.gothic.difficulty.remake.wad
1.080.map.pickup nook.item.spacing.spread.wad
1.079.gothic.1st secret.switch.relocate.easier to find.wad
1.078.gothic.2nd secret gate.frame.add.wad
1.077.debug.gothic.1st secret gate.opening.should be whole gate.wad
1.076.bug.gothic.1st secret gate.adding tag makes slime trail.wad
1.075.debug.gothic.1st secret gate.opening.should be whole gate.wad
1.074.gothic.shotgunner's gennel.north side.arches.add.wad
1.073.debug.gothic.shotgunner's gennel.flying monsters closet.arch.floor.tidyup.wad
1.072.debug.medieval.1st archvile alcove.sound pipe.reconnect.wad
1.071.map.section ends.flags.add.wad
1.070.debug.modern exit.lift.make it work.wad
1.069.debug.junction 1 exit.from gothic.lift.tagging.tidyup.wad
1.068.debug.gothic.exit gate.corner pickup nook.lighting.increase.wad
1.067.debug.medieval.4 revenant's gennel.modern pillar.retexture to medieval.wad
1.066.debug.gothic.1st secret.secret tag.tidyup.wad
1.065.debug.victorian.maze.texture.alignment.wad
1.064.debug.victorian.secret outdoor corridor.secret tag.add.wad
1.063.debug.exit.sky.height.mismatch.wad
1.062.debug.exit.secret switch.make more visible.wad
1.061.medieval.1st junction.flags.update.wad
1.061.medieval.1st junction exit.flag.shorter.wad
1.060.medieval.1st junction exit.flag.add.wad
1.059.debug.1st archie alcove.barrels.add.wad
1.058.debug.map.textures.missing.wad
1.057.debug.map.cybie.change to baron at easy difficulty.wad
1.056.debug.brutalist.jumps.easier.wad
1.055.debug.map.mising textures.wad
1.054.debug.modern.ammo,health.add.wad
1.053.debug.map.archie alcoves.barrels.add.wad
1.052.debug.map.pickups.health.add 50%.wad
1.051.map.easter eggs.sheff.convert to ys.wad
1.050.map.sky.new.wad
1.049.release.public.playtest.wad
1.048.debug.modern.chaingunner closet.texture.mismatch.wad
1.047.debug.brutalist.stairway.spiral.ssg.reposition to stairway corner.wad
1.046.debug.brutalist.stairway.spiral.texture.mismatch.wad
1.045.debug.brutalist.entrance corridor.texture.mismatch.wad
1.044.debug.victorian.next to junction 2.popup monsters.triangular base.blend with floor.wad
1.043.debug.gothic.hellknights square.secret tunnels.door exit.height.higher.wad
1.042.debug.gothic.hellknights square.secret gate.movement detection.range.increase.wad
1.041.debug.gothic.hellknights square.textures.missing.wad
1.040.debug.victorian.secret.entry door.textures.missing.wad
1.039.debug.victorian.secret.exit door.textures.missing.wad
1.038.map.items.difficulties.standardise to all.wad
1.037.debug.1st junction.ammo.more.wad
1.036.debug.modern.key switch.arachnotron.should pop up.wad
1.035.debug.level exit.cybie.should be able to exit room.wad
1.034.debug.gothic.cybie should not skip jumping to hellknights square.wad
1.033.debug.gothic.shotgunners gennel.window to hellknights square.block.wad
1.032.release.public.playtest.wad
1.031.debug.map.remove otex.wad
1.030.map.secrets.items.recheck.wad
1.029.debug.map.retexture after removing gridtex.wad
1.028.debug.modern.exit lift area.floor rim.texture.mismatch.wad
1.027.debug.medieval.4 revenants gennel.doortrack.remove.wad
1.026.debug.medieval.entrance to modern.texture.mismatch.wad
1.025.debug.victorian.exit.texture.missing.wad
1.024.map.analysis.remove unknown textures.wad
1.023.debug.gothic.secret gate.tidyup.wad
1.022.map.secret 7.wad
1.021.brutalist.stairway.crescent.texture.mismatch.wad
1.020.debug.secrets.bare markers.trigger line.change to front of marker.wad
1.019.debug.medieval.4 revenants gennel.steps.floor rim.texture.mismatch.wad
1.018.debug.gothic.shotgunner's gennel.stairs.floor rim.texture.mismatch.wad
1.017.debug.gothic.popup monsters.triangle base.should blend with floor.wad
1.016.debug.medieval.junction 2.texture.missing.wad
1.015.map.textures.unused.remove.wad
1.014.map.easter eggs.sheff.add heart sign.wad
1.013.debug.gothic.shotgunner's gennel.cybie's attack should cover entire gennel.wad
1.012.debug.modern.exit lift.activation.motion detection.sensitivity.increase.wad
1.011.debug.medieval.4 revenant's gennel.lift to level exit.texture.tidyup.wad
1.010.debug.medieval.4 revenant's gennel.floor next to wall.trap config.follow.wad
1.009.debug.brutalist.cybie's room.slime trail.wad
1.008.debug.medieval.4 revenant's gennel.texture.mismatch.wad
1.007.debug.brutalist.cybie room.slime trail.wad
1.006.debug.gothic.exit lift.texture.tidyup.wad
1.005.debug.gothic.exit gate.texture.replace placeholder texture.wad
1.004.debug.gothic.lift from junction 2.texture.missing.wad
1.003.debug.gothic.shotgunner's gennel.missing arches.wad
1.002.debug.gothic.pain elemental closet.texture.missing.wad
1.001.debug.gothic.remove test cybie.wad
1.000.playtest.public.wad

Edited by rita remton
spelling correction, missed an architecture style, and got the name of illustrator software wrong. sorry, i was too sleepy to think properly.

On 3/23/2024 at 12:26 AM, rita remton said:

@NeilForshaw (for a good suggestion on editing the midi).

Can't remember what I suggested but glad you liked it. Congrats on the release :D

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

RC1 is out: https://doomshack.org/uploads/howt-RC1.zip

It's on Doomshack instead of the usual mediafire link because mediafire doesn't work on my side for some weird reason.

Including:

• minor fixing for MAP01, MAP03 and MAP15
  • new starting area inspired by Sussex streets and towns for MAP15, as well changed the exit as a secret exit taking advantages of the secret exit lump engine and creating a thing similar to the one done for UMPAINFO\MAPINFO
  • added a new map stopping level on MAP31 plus a hidden secret exit
  • made a little MAPINFO for zdoom compatible ports instead of the broken ZMAPINFO
  • modified DEHACKED lump

What's missing:

• A text file
  • Internal demos
  • Better testing on coop play
  • A M_DOOM graphic?