[REQUESTS CLOSED] Volumus - An experimental horror map that's never exactly the same

Well this thread received quite a response already! If you haven’t already received too many responses then please also count me in!

That's quite the interest rate, alright.

Putting further requests on hold until I fulfill the current batch.

20 hours ago, JollyRoger said:

"Volumus" means "we wish" in Latin. Was the naming intentional?

It actually wasn't, I just thought it sounded cool. But it's sort of a fitting name knowing that now. :D

On 3/19/2023 at 1:59 PM, MFG38 said:

I will then make a new copy of the .wad file and make some edits to the map. The specifics of those edits are a mystery even to me

How can the changes be a mystery for you even tho you are the creator of the map? Do you have a automated script or weird method for obfuscating the mapping process?

16 hours ago, Ar_e_en said:

How can the changes be a mystery for you even tho you are the creator of the map? Do you have a automated script or weird method for obfuscating the mapping process?

They're a mystery to me in the sense that I don't think about the edits in advance. I just make them as they come to my mind. But the edits are still manual, I'm not automating the process in any way.

*whew*

I'll be honest with all of you, this experiment has almost bought me a one-way ticket to mapping burnout - I'm shocked I don't want to kill myself yet. :P I've spent virtually all of my free time yesterday and today fulfilling the current batch of requests, and at this point, 36 out of the 44 copies requested have been sent out. The remaining 8 participants will get their copies tomorrow.

After that, I'll reopen the requests on Thursday, and they'll be open for roughly 24 hours. However many more requests I get in that time, I'll be fulfilling them over the weekend - and when I close the requests again, I'll close them for good. That means that if you want a copy of Volumus, it'll be your only remaining chance!

As for that compilation idea I talked about in the OP, I've decided I'm going to scratch it. Despite the unexpected workload, this has been a fun experiment and I want to retain its spirit even after it ends. I may even go as far as to delete the files from my own hard drive and leave them entirely into your hands. I want you people to cherish your unique copies of Volumus.

Just completed the wad (Volumus40) and it was pretty simple and basic map. Just take cover from a single archvile following you around, grab 3 keys and leave. I almost considered killing the vile with pistol and fists, but then decided against it.