[WIP] Doom 64: Unseen Evil - Run it back, Doom 64 style!

18 minutes ago, Nash said:

Got a Discord server or something where I can keep a closer eye on the project?

Based on the last post in the ZDF thread: You can follow DrPySpy's projects and/or antics on Twitter or his webzone.

10 hours ago, Nash said:

Got a Discord server or something where I can keep a closer eye on the project?

I do have a server, actually! However, I don't actually have a channel set up for it yet, was planning on getting that set up at some point today. You can peek in here.

I have to say, when I first saw the title, I assumed this would be another custom Doom 64 mapset. :P

Still, all things considered, it is a rather clever title!

Oh, by the way, is the UnMaker going to be added to Doom 1 and Doom 2? If so, how do you plan doing so?

Edited by Rudolph

1 minute ago, Rudolph said:

Oh, by the way, how do you plan on integrating the UnMaker to Doom 1 and Doom 2?

In my other mod Doom Delta, the Unmaker of that mod would usually spawn in place of a BFG if you already had a BFG in your inventory. I might do something similar here, although I will need to consider how to handle the Demon Keys. Doom Delta's system for spawning in new unique monsters/powerups is pretty flexible, so I could pull something similar off here.

1 minute ago, DrPyspy said:

In my other mod Doom Delta, the Unmaker of that mod would usually spawn in place of a BFG if you already had a BFG in your inventory. I might do something similar here, although I will need to consider how to handle the Demon Keys. Doom Delta's system for spawning in new unique monsters/powerups is pretty flexible, so I could pull something similar off here.

Maybe the Demon Keys could start spawning in place of the BFG too once the UnMaker is acquired?

And what about the music? Are you going to use Aubrey Hodges' Playstation soundtrack or Doom 64 soundtrack?

30 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

Maybe the Demon Keys could start spawning in place of the BFG too once the UnMaker is acquired?

And what about the music? Are you going to use Aubrey Hodges' Playstation soundtrack or Doom 64 soundtrack?

Spawning in place of the BFG is good, but I would like to explore additional options for the spawn handler to handle in case there's only a couple BFG's in an entire mapset. That'll definitely be one of the options, though!

At the moment, the music is divided into PSX tracks for Doom 1 levels, and 64 tracks for Doom 2 levels. However, I do want to include a couple other music settings as well, such as a custom ordered playlist and a randomize/shuffle setting!

9 hours ago, DrPyspy said:

I'd definitely like to have the Unmaker. It became one of my favorite guns after not liking it, before I discovered it's potential with the demon keys. Maybe you could have the demon keys appear in secret sectors after obtaining the unmaker.

Edited by Xim

On 4/6/2023 at 11:05 PM, DrPyspy said:

I'm interested in seeing what other fellas would like to see improved upon!

I would suggest fixing the blood color discrepancies for  and giving monsters unique idle and pain sounds à la Sound Caulking.

2 hours ago, Rudolph said:

I would suggest fixing the blood color discrepancies for  and giving monsters unique idle and pain sounds à la Sound Caulking.

Doom CE has created a sound caulking for Doom 64, so that could be a start!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/19/2023 at 1:41 PM, Immorpher said:

Doom CE has created a sound caulking for Doom 64, so that could be a start!

There was already a Doom 64/Playstation version of the Sound Caulking mod - which, I might add, gave the Hell Knight an unexpectedly terrifying idle sound! Are you saying that Doom CE created its own separate mod?

Edited by Rudolph

4 hours ago, Rudolph said:

There was already a Doom 64/Playstation version of the Sound Caulking mod - which, I might add, gave the Hell Knight an unexpectedly terrifying idle sound! Are you saying that Doom CE created its own separate mod?

It gathered sounds from various sources as part of a sound caulking idea. I am not sure if its using parts of the one you are thinking of or not.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Wow this is really exciting. Will this be compatible with Doom CE? It has a "Doom 64-ifier" of its own but it's mainly for playing PSX (Final) Doom CE levels with Doom 64 CE assets and doesn't work too great when used on PC Doom maps.

Edited by Individualised

I've been wanting something like this since forever ago, looks extremely promising! I like D64 but don't always want to play its campaign so this solves that.

A separate version of the Terraformer that just modifies maps but leaves things (monsters, weapons, decor etc) alone would do wonders for modularity also.