How many enemies at once with max fps (200 being default GZDoom) it's possible?

Comatose drops down to about 15fps on my computer with GZDoom, while it's able to maintain about 60fps with dsda-doom's OpenGL renderer.

That will depend on both CPU and GPU.
The more processing power you have the more steady your fps will be.
edit: CPU as single core performance, since multithreading isnt a thing as far I know on ZDOOM based engines.

Edited by BerserkerNoir

• 2 months later...
On 4/23/2023 at 4:22 AM, Shepardus said:
  • Why 200 fps, that's pointless unless your monitor has at least a 200Hz refresh rate.

It's really not. You'll still have less input lag, so it will feel more responsive due to how monitors and graphics cards work. If you don't use VSync (or any othe sync), the GPU continuously rendering frames in 5 ms intervals irrespectively of your screen's refresh rate, and because the panel doesn't have to wait for the end of the refresh cycle, it can instantly display the rendered frame (or its part).

5 minutes ago, Fluuschoen said:

It's really not. You'll still have less input lag, so it will feel more responsive due to how monitors and graphics cards work.

Doom runs inputs at a fixed cycle of 35hz, you cannot submit inputs faster than this as no player action can occur inbetween frames (or more correctly, frames are actually created by player inputs at a rate of 35hz). This applies even for interpolated ports such as GZDoom.

Edited by Edward850

5 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

Doom runs inputs at a fixed cycle of 35hz, you cannot submit inputs faster than this as no player action can occur inbetween frames (or more correctly, frames are actually created by player inputs at a rate of 35hz). This applies even for interpolated ports such as GZDoom.

Then how do you explain higher frame rates being more responsive, even on a measly 60 Hz display?

5 minutes ago, Fluuschoen said:

Then how do you explain higher frame rates being more responsive, even on a measly 60 Hz display?

That's a subjective position. I can't explain why you feel something, I can only explain how the code works and what it does.

4 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

That's a subjective position. I can't explain why you feel something, I can only explain how the code works and what it does.

Then I'm not even sure your argument is closely related to mine.

It is exactly your argument, the game cannot respond to your inputs any faster than 28.571ms. The camera sometimes can (the pitch and angle, explicitly, because they can be programmed to not affect the simulation using render only values), but movement, shooting, using and all other actions are locked to that 28ms cycle.

36 minutes ago, Fluuschoen said:

There are aspects of an interpolated source port like GZDoom that benefit from a faster refresh rate even if the underlying game continues to run at 35fps. For example, turning: if you spin 180 degrees as fast as you can flick your mouse, higher frame rates will allow you to see what your spinning past more clearly.

This is especially true for fast moving projectiles: at 60fps, it takes only 16.67ms for a projectile's movement to be rendered (as the engine is rendering it at locations between it's "real" location), while at vanilla speed it takes a full 29ms, which is more than possible to completely miss if you're turning extremely fast. 

So even though your input remains locked to 35fps, having that extra time to see what's happening in game can make a difference.

21 hours ago, Bauul said:

There are aspects of...

Now we are getting there. Is this the reason why multiple hundreds/thousands fps feels more connected than let's say 60, on the same display? Definitely noticed the projectile thing tho.

I knew beforehand that the game logic is based on the original 35 fps, and thought this is why playing with that feels noticeably better than uncapped in some source ports, because it's less floaty and the mouse handling is more "tight", but my original premise was that 200 fps isn't pointless if you have lesser refresh rate than 200 Hz (so for example 200 fps@60 Hz > 110 fps@60 Hz > 60 fps@60 Hz).