DBK03: Shrine of the Silver CyberPrimate (RC2)

4 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

@Big Ol Billy After collecting the blue skullkey in MAP03 and returning to the main arena, the map kills my frame-rate quite severely and is unplayable. Not sure why it's happening, however I suspect it might be Nash's Gore. Might have to pistol-start MAP03 :^/

Dang, I’ll try to look into this as well. Seems likely that it’s a mod issue, since this hasn’t come up in other un- or differently-modded playthroughs. But like I said I was really digging what Nash’s Gore added to the experience, so it would be interesting to see what exactly the problem is and whether it could be addressed unobtrusively.

1 minute ago, Big Ol Billy said:

Dang, I’ll try to look into this as well. Seems likely that it’s a mod issue, since this hasn’t come up in other un- or differently-modded playthroughs. But like I said I was really digging what Nash’s Gore added to the experience, so it would be interesting to see what exactly the problem is and whether it could be addressed unobtrusively.

Usually it only happens if an excessive amount of demons die at the same time, causing GZ to shit itself from all the gore it's trying to render, but there's no crushers or anything. My only theory would be that at that particular point of events in the level progression is that you have a thousand voodoo dolls being squashed by crushers to trigger all the demons spawning in. That doesn't sound right, but that's all I can think of.

For some reason, MAP05 refused to load for me unless I put Nash's Gore back in despite the fact I pistol-started without it on MAP03 and kept going through MAP04 in its absence as well. Fortunately, MAP05 didn't lag on me at all but we can't account for if it happens on MAP04. I might experiment to see if MAP04 lags with it on just to be thorough.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, finished this up! If there's anything I have to do to access bonus maps and such if they exist, that would be much appreciated!

3 hours ago, LadyMistDragon said:

If there's anything I have to do to access bonus maps and such if they exist, that would be much appreciated!

Spoiler

Flush toilet 3 times in next map, then just complete the map.

23 hours ago, LadyMistDragon said:

Well, finished this up! If there's anything I have to do to access bonus maps and such if they exist, that would be much appreciated!

Thanks so much, these vids (along with @Biodegradable’s and a few other streams I’ve caught) are really helping us get this RC2 in shape!

The bonus content is a bit more niche, so my strategy has been to leave it for more determined/interested players to sniff out. But would love to see some play footage. To give you an idea of what it contains:

Spoiler

As TJG1289 notes above, you can break out of the initial MAP07 ending map, which becomes a small pistol/zerk map.

From there you’ll be taken to the MAP08 hub map, which gives you 5 bonus maps to complete in any order (these maps are in MAP31 and above slots). These are all very short but pretty challenging gimmick maps, which all force a fist (no pistol!) start. Each should only take a few minutes max to complete successfully, but may take a number tries.

Completing all the bonus maps unlocks final ending/credits map on MAP30, which is an infinite fight that you play for high score, since monsters will spawn infinitely (there is a scoring mechanic built into the map).

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A wild update appears! I've been pleased with the level of polish we were able to achieve in the first RC, so the changes here are fairly minor. Unless something major is found, I'm sending this bad boy to idgames in the near future (where it will now join DBK01, just submitted, and DBK02, currently up). Link available in the initial post.

Changes:

Spoiler

Overall:

• Risk Blazer! sphere now simply grants invulnerability, which I think is ultimately more intuitive. (Previously gave players Buddha mode + sharply reduced damage, which players reasonably interpreted as "seems like I'm invulnerable... but sorta not? huh...")

MAP03:

• removed fancy floor light pattern in the puzzle section, which sidetracked some players by suggesting a non-existent timing component to the puzzle
  • enemies now prevented from accidentally cheesing player after the final transport tube
  • removed small bit of z-fighting that popped up in GZDoom
  • "Photo op" camera now cheese-proof

MAP04:

• fixed one small visual issue with a ceiling
  • small conveyance tweak at the beginning of the underwater section

MAP05:

• removed skip that allowed players to bypass the big red button
  • various small navigation and combat tweaks by Scrangus
  • removed floor glow in 2 sectors (this effect otherwise appears nowhere in the project, making it kind of random here)

MAP30:

• deleted unused offmap area
  • fixed a bug preventing the originally intended later-game behavior in the infinite fight (arch-viles start spawning more aggressively once all your hype house housemates are dead)

A couple of things I'm going to leave as "known bugs" unless a reliable solution presents itself:

• Per Biodegradable's playthroughs, it looks like MAP03 throttles the Nashgore gore mod for some reason. A bit of a shame, since the extra bit of splattery ultraviolence fits nicely with the dystopian gameshow theme. But this kind of thing is beyond my pay grade.
  • The transport tubes, which appear on many levels, can be glitched under particular circumstances, like rocket-blasting/jumping yourself or via vile jumps. This doesn't actually break anything, however, so I'd rather leave it be rather than break something in a serious, softlocking way.

For those keeping track, I've also cleaned up the OPs in the DBK01 and DBK02 threads to reflect the current finalized states of those projects.