RAMP 2023 - Rabbit's All-Comers Mapping Project [RELEASED!]

Just uploaded my first map for this years RAMP! A short little dark map. Hopefully i'll make one more before end of submissions.

All of my maps have been submitted and I hope people find them fun to play.  Many of you design intricate, engaging maps that just blow me away, but I'm just sticking to the OG Doom style for now.  Thank you to @DavidNand the team for putting this all together.

MAP86 - UAC Spring Cleaning - There is enough ammo to get 100% kills but that should be tested here and there.

MAP149 - UAC 5-99 - This is a remix of an early map I had so it's a bit cramped in places. 

MAP170 - The Demon's Brain - I've never really designed a boss fight arena before so this is a first. I'm also not ashamed to say that I cannot complete this on normal or UV.  My skill level is just not that good so I hope it is doable for others.

I've largely finished my first map (MAP88 Union Aerospace Construction Zone) which is a UAC office that was under construction when naturally, demons invaded. I may have missed some texture alignment issues but it is functional. (The monster count looks high but there's a pretty easy way to fix that if you can find it)

I'm working on another with some odd custom enemies. It's currently empty aside from some disembodied legs aimlessly walking around but it's MAP172 I'm in that weird part of Hell again.

Edited by DogsRNice

One thing I forgot to mention about Demon Chainsaw Massacre is that it is possible to softlock at the Arachnotron room if you don't have ammo to kill the enemies at the top. I'd suggest adding a way up both sides, so you can at least punch them.

MAP33, Snowball's Chance, is my first submission to RAMP, and my first map at all! I hope everyone enjoys it, I put about five days of work into the map and I'm very satisfied with how it turned out, personally.

I'm working on another entry, MAP128 Cloning Facility, which so far I believe to be a significant improvement over Snowball's Chance in every way, and I can only hope that everyone else will agree with me when it's done.

Some more reviews, this time with my personal difficulty ratings:

Map 18: Mr N Euclidian’s Mansion by Oddy the Bastard

Difficulty: 1

Length: 1

A strange little base with some twisting and turning. Quite fun overall.

Map 34: Four Comas by Dawnbreez

Difficulty: ?

Length: ?

This map has awesome elements, but unfortunately I got stuck wondering what to do, and ended up not finishing. Note that the entire automap has been made invisible, which I think is to make it more mysterious, but is more frustrating than anything.

Onto the things I like: the map’s sense of humor, and (spoilers!) the new enemy with the sword. That enemy is seriously cool, and looks almost claymation, which you don’t see often in Doom. The aesthetic of the map is also spot-on.

What gets me is the progression. I understand it is a puzzle map, and perhaps I need to give it another go. Without an automap, however, it is hard to find footing, if that makes sense.

Map 124: Mafia Operation Base by Aggelandro

Difficulty: 4

Length: 6

This one has portions that look overwhelming, but there is usually enough health and ammo pickups for each fight. I like the little touches here, such as the bridge that raises over the nukage, and the rooms with various ramps, set up almost like a Tony Hawk game. The map is fun, and the custom bosses aren’t too bad, but can feel a bit cheap.

Played map 90 by @Chookum - super fun time hanging out with you guys in this colourful map

also SNAKE

I GOT A SNAKE HAPPEN CHECK IT OUT

Played another ramp map! Not sure if user posts here to tag but really cool take on E4M1

MAP128 Cloning Facility now complete (I'm pretty sure, at least...), and that concludes my two entries to RAMP, and my first two Doom maps. I'd like to think I did fairly well, at least for someone new to mapping, and that everyone can enjoy them.

Thank you to David for hosting RAMP these past few years, and thank you to anyone who tries either MAP33 or MAP128.

I’ve been procrastinating on this for a few hours now, mostly as I’m not too sure if I’m being a perfectionist again, or if there are some significant problems with the map. Regardless, I’m starting to think that I should try to view this as more of a training exercise.

Map name: Isotoxin.

Music: Isotoxin by Necros and Hub3 by Michiel van den Bos.

Sky: NebSky5 by Mechadon.

I’m also sure it could use a few tweaks and some feedback: I don’t often play on UV, so I’m not too sure it’s balanced well; the sector portal in the ‘main room’ is hopefully working without any major issues, if it isn’t please say; and hopefully the ammo balance is fine, I’ve tried to be a little stringent but not too strict; Finally, I’ve taken some screenshots and I think I may have made the level a little too dark in places (also I’m not too sure on some of the volumetric lighting; I’m new to using this, so some of the lighting, mostly the light-cones, feels a little wrong to me).

Screen-shots:

Spoiler

isotoxin0_small.png.f86f673c7820ba93968d3c2f3f870fc0.pngisotoxin1_small.png.740c64109710625794e23c94330e5dfd.png

Hadean Gaol is now done and submitted to Rampart! :)

See below for a separate download.

////

This maximum security prison, once an Earthly structure, was pulled into Hell and turned into a horrid bulwark. Now you, our brave Marine, find yourself incarcerated in the most tightly secured section of the complex...

Sounds echo from behind your cell door. A screech. A scream. An explosion. You put your ear to the metal door to listen closer, but recoil at the sharp pain of intense heat, as the door's lock begins to melt.

From the sound of it, the Imps are staging a riot, and managed to blow open the crusher system that separates your section from the rest of the prison - seems they would rather gnaw on your innards than have a shot at their own freedom.

You hastily remove one of the loose floor panels and retrieve your trusty pistol, which the guard foolishly forgot to take off your person when he dragged you in here - typical zombieman - and prepare to make your great escape...

////

e8bA0vB.png7lzm8TS.png

Hadean Gaol ramp2023_doctornuriel_v1.zip

Edited by DoctorNuriel

10 hours ago, DoctorNuriel said:

Hadean Gaol is now done and submitted to Rampart! :)

A lot of fun detail in this map :D

I especially like this cute hole in the wall:

Screenshot_Doom_20230624_104523.png.7a9f6b8d89c405992c0fc9bbeb6cce5f.png

Also, just looking around the RAMP Nexus, I was super happy to spot my favourite Beksinski painting:

Screenshot_Doom_20230624_110015.png.f71da7f2222bedf135559bf932d3ff4b.png

"Rigged" has been submitted to RAMP under map 216

riG2hDu.png

I've frequently tried to make an oil rig-themed map for various games over the years, just because it's a level theme I endlessly adore. But this is the first time I've ever actually finished one. It's a really hard theme to pull off, especially in the Doom engine. But I think I was able to get this to a point that I'm happy with.

Finally have my map ready for play, though difficulty settings are still yet to be done.

Map 92: Endangered Habitat

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20230624_172851.png.844755bacb2a5efb4c8a909cde497975.png

Screenshot_Doom_20230624_172921.png.91505d3862d7dbf61d5da95f9002c055.png

Screenshot_Doom_20230624_173056.png.6a03ed10a0c48d2445a62af3aae1b127.png

Screenshot_Doom_20230624_173128.png.acf8da938d89234557a994b0b001571e.png

Screenshot_Doom_20230624_173201.png.ad65ba3df65905e5991756beeaa05102.png

I don't think I'll be able to submit my map before the time limit. The execution of open-ended map designs has proven to be much more difficult than linear ones, at least to my current (very low) skill as a mapper. The areas I've managed to build thus far look nice and play the way I intended them to, but there's still a lot of empty space I need to fill, and I can't begin to think of how to design enemy encounters in streets, with so much space between buildings, and how to make more visually distinctive buildings while sticking to vanilla textures.

So yeah, I'm a but stumped but I'll still do my best to deliver something satisfying on time. Even if I fail, I'll post it here whenever it gets finished.

Edited by JonExMachina

I've had the same problem with large open areas, my solution is large waves of monsters that don't have hitscan attacks. And rocket launchers and BFGs with lots of ammo.
Another idea would be to block off access to the unfinished areas, and maybe placing "under construction" signs there. Anyways I think RAMP 2023 would be better off with some of your map than without it.
And you can always keep working on it afterwards and release the full version at a later date 😊
I'll chuck in a screenshot of UDB since I'm here.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_BfojBlKfQ1kPRHfhSlE4BGIJRaIPaML/view?usp=drive_link

Edited by JaySmithen
Added google drive link

I'd like to ask, is it possible to play with somenthing different than gzdoom? I cant run ramp because my opeengl is not accelerated (old pc) I tired latest lzdoom but didn't work

@dawnbreez 

Cool map. I really only came here because of the hilarious snake incident. With a short monster count I wasn't expecting to get into such an interesting adventure. Also I never actually Hands-On played my house.wad or looked into it that much so that made it an even more interesting experience for me not knowing what was happening until I did etc 

Magic snake lamp was especially fun to play with and giant slow-moving sword guy made me laugh