Radio Free Gehenna: A Retro Community Project (Featuring Zero Fancy Presentation)

On 6/24/2023 at 12:42 AM, Yop said:

Had some fun with the Waterfall textures.

Default map name in game because i'd imagine a DeHacked would be all put in when all maps are collected. 

Any Issues let me know so they can be patched up.

MAP TITLE: Waist Deep in Gehenna

MAP NUMBER: MAP15

MIDI: Vem Quente Que eu Estou Fervendo - Ersamo Carlos

DESCRIPTION: Just a "stronghold" level with some tunnels.

DOWNLOAD: Waist Deep v3 Download

Screenshots:

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot_Doom_20230624_002903.png.b74a535df384bfc0f7d05b43b03ab954.pngScreenshot_Doom_20230624_003257.png.f5c4159cfa9060a676b49697e3061e3f.pngScreenshot_Doom_20230624_003157.png.5b6d913d3a5547ea8ec006e73eed640a.png

Right, I've updated this to the final version of MAP15, changed some balancing and altered a few other things.
I will no longer be making any changes unless absolutely necessary. 

Edited by Yop

Now that i'm free-er from other projects, this seems like a fun project to test my more abstract emulation of old, i'll take map20

@AtticTelephone

If we're doing Megiddo thing for the final level, I'd like to contribute too. When I'm done with MAP09, of course.

I want to make sure my map will fit into project, so here's the concept: an occupied downtown city block, isolated by broken roads, gigantic chunks of demonic flesh and collapsed buildings. There would be many places that you can explore, but they're optional, since the main goal is to find the key that unlocks the exit. Main inspiration is MAP19: Times of Grace from Nostalgia megawad - I like that the map is really short in terms of time, but also looks and plays ten times better than Downtown. So my map is gonna be relatively small in scale too. However, I'm not sure if city map may appear this early in the megawad.

Tell me what you think about that.

On 7/17/2023 at 5:59 PM, Heretic926 said:

@AtticTelephone

If we're doing Megiddo thing for the final level, I'd like to contribute too. When I'm done with MAP09, of course.

I want to make sure my map will fit into project, so here's the concept: an occupied downtown city block, isolated by broken roads, gigantic chunks of demonic flesh and collapsed buildings. There would be many places that you can explore, but they're optional, since the main goal is to find the key that unlocks the exit. Main inspiration is MAP19: Times of Grace from Nostalgia megawad - I like that the map is really short in terms of time, but also looks and plays ten times better than Downtown. So my map is gonna be relatively small in scale too. However, I'm not sure if city map may appear this early in the megawad.

Tell me what you think about that.

Good shit, you're in for 30.

Hi @AtticTelephone, I'd like to participate in this project, but I'm not sure if you want mapping newcomers.

My story so far: Played Doom I + II a lot in the mid 90s, did a little bit of mapping back then which resulted in one “proper” map which I finished in early 1996. (I played it only with my friends though, didn't upload it anywhere iirc.) Then lost interest in FPS and gaming in general. During the pandemic, stumbled upon some Doom Youtube content (I think it was a Decino video), regained interest and began playing Doom again. Last month I came across DavidXNewton's RAMP 2023 community project (https://ramp2023.teamouse.net/) and spontaneously decided to participate. So after a hiatus of 25+ years, I started mapping again and provided map 185 “Four Rooms” which I consider rather oldschool/retro in style. Started as (limit-removing) vanilla Doom format and only shortly before finished switched to UDMF format for some tiny things I couldn't achieve otherwise.

I'm attaching the standalone version of “Four Rooms” (only tested in gzdoom so far), so if you like, you can have a look if this sort of map (and especially the amount of detailing) would be suitable for Radio Free Gehenna. Alternatively you can have a look at Clippy Clippington's playthrough of the map here:

Of course, I wouldn't submit this map, but rather start a new one. Please let me know if you'd like to have me on board your project.

Best,

Christian aka Grizzly Old B

4rooms.zip

Update on my WIP submissions - since the deadline is very close, I've decided to start working on my segment of the final map which I'm prioritizing over MAP09 for now. Here's a little peek:

Screenshot_Doom_20230804_225521.png.ef71f9e023d3504a286d51dfbc65f920.png

Probably it will be the hardest segment of the map (I would call it slaughter-lite), but nothing to be scared of - there's plenty of ammo and recovery items.

MAP TITLE: Technobabble heresy

MAP NUMBER: 16

MIDI: Recryptinated by Hayden49

DESCRIPTION: Designed as a momentum builder/decompression map with a few different themes (outdoors, hell and foundry). Not exactly hard and you can start a lot of infighting with ease. Lots of weaker monsters to blow up with rockets, with two potentially troublesome archvile encounters. Has a hot start and keeps you on your toes until the exit.

DOWNLOAD: first version

Doomworld is throwing a fit about uploading stuff, so screenies here!

1 hour ago, Matt Eldrydge said:

MAP TITLE: Technobabble heresy

MAP NUMBER: 16

MIDI: Recryptinated by Hayden49

DESCRIPTION: Designed as a momentum builder/decompression map with a few different themes (outdoors, hell and foundry). Not exactly hard and you can start a lot of infighting with ease. Lots of weaker monsters to blow up with rockets, with two potentially troublesome archvile encounters. Has a hot start and keeps you on your toes until the exit.

DOWNLOAD: first version

Doomworld is throwing a fit about uploading stuff, so screenies here!

An amazing map!

MAP TITLE: Unkempt Mucus Depot

MAP NUMBER: 25

MIDI: "Run for your life," by Paul D.

DESCRIPTION: This map may bust the balls of doomworlders, but that's how you get good.

DOWNLOAD: here

• 2 weeks later...

@AtticTelephoneThree days left until deadline and I'm certainly not gonna finish my map by that time, and also you probably should ping other mappers who haven't submitted their maps. Though I feel like the deadline is already gonna be extended, doing a roll call every once in a month will be nice. Screenshot of current progress on MAP09:

Spoiler

doom01.png.722c0bfdac159f8912c788bf0495fac0.png

Maps 18-20, and 22-28 still haven't been claimed yet. Here's hoping more users come in and contribute to this mapset at the last minute.

Sorry for the double post, but I've basically finished map 31.

Map title: Cyberdemon Park

Map number: 31

MIDI: Linkin Park - Stick N Move

Description: A map where you must avoid cyberdemon rockets and collect keys in order to leave the map. You probably won't have enough ammo to get 100% kills here so focus on escaping.

Download: MAP31.7z

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

If the project is still on I'd like to claim a map spot. Just whatever would be available.

Edited by senpaigru

• 2 weeks later...

Ya don't mind If I claim map18? Assuming if it's still going

Edited by Xybear

• 2 months later...

I'm gonna also release my map seperately, since nothing is going on with this project.