dsda-doom v0.26.2 UDMF [2023-06-04]

5 hours ago, Trustanus said:

Can anyone please explain to me what weapon attack alignment does in DSDA? I am wondering what difference does it make between off, horizontal, centered, and bobbing. What purpose does this serve? 

When you walk in doom your weapon moves around (along a U shape). When you start shooting on vanilla doom, the weapon stops moving and stays on the place it was which is rarely centered when you start shooting while running.

Having the weapon miss-centered can be annoying to aim, so dsda-doom added the option to have the weapon always move to the center when you start shooting. There are several variants:

* Off: Like vanilla doom, when you start shooting, the weapons gets locked where is was.

* Centered: the weapon gets centered on the screen (like in ZDoom)

* Horizontal: like the above but it only gets horizontally centered (I am not 100% sure about this).

* Bobbing: The weapons keep bobbing even though you are shooting (I do not see why anyone would like that but it is here).

On 6/4/2023 at 8:53 PM, Breezeep said:

I've been trying to do some stuff with a custom hud config I made, and for some reason I can't get the args to work. I've been following the docs on the github.

doom full
big_health 4 21 bottom_left
big_armor 80 20 bottom_left
big_ammo 192 20 bottom_right
ammo_text 256 32 bottom_right
weapon_text 220 42 bottom_right [grid]
stat_totals 6 32 bottom_left
message 0 0 top_left
keys 0 0 none [horizontal]
secret_message 0 76 none

Is there something I'm doing wrong with this?

Put a 1 for the flags you want to turn on. I.e., "weapon_text 220 42 bottom_right 1"

I may update how this works, but for now these fields are just values instead of text keys.

dsda-launcher v1.3 has been released

dw thread: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/121953-dsda-launcher-v13-dsda-doom-for-macos/

Here are binaries for Windows 64-bit and MacOS arm64 and x64

https://github.com/Pedro-Beirao/dsda-launcher/releases/tag/v1.3

Some of the new features:
- Endoom support
- "PrBoom+ Launcher"-like dialog to help playing back demos without a footer
- .zip support for -file
- Toggle to remember selected parameters

It is recommended that you use dsda-doom v0.26 or later with this release

28 minutes ago, TheNonDrinkingLeprechaun said:

Can it be closed at launch?

Not currently possible

Since .ZIP support has now been added to both DSDA-Doom and its launcher, I tried loading KDiKDiZD as a .ZIP archive.

This mostly works, except the included "extras_for_sourceports.wad" file doesn't load in the .zip archive, only when the unzipped files are dragged into the DSDA-Launcher. This adds things like widescreen intermission and HUD graphics:

On another note, loading the Roland SC-55 Music Packs for any Doom engine game as a .ZIP archive doesn't work at all, only as a .WAD archive, which then crash Plutonia at the 3rd demo, and TNT at the 1st demo:

https://sc55.duke4.net/games.php#

PLUTONIA:

dsda-doom v0.26.2 (https://github.com/kraflab/dsda-doom/)

dsda-doom is released under the GNU General Public license v2.0.
You are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.
It comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. See the file COPYING for details.

Playing: Final DOOM - The Plutonia Experiment

adding F:/Entertainment/Gaming/Source Ports/id Tech 1/IWADs/PLUTONIA.WAD

adding F:\Entertainment\Gaming\Source Ports\id Tech 1\Source Ports\DSDA-Doom/dsda-doom.wad

adding F:\Entertainment\Gaming\Source Ports\id Tech 1\Source Ports\DSDA-Doom/autoload/doom-all/DSDATC.lmp

adding F:\Entertainment\Gaming\Source Ports\id Tech 1\Source Ports\DSDA-Doom/autoload/PLUTONIA.WAD/D2SPFX20.WAD

adding F:\Entertainment\Gaming\Source Ports\id Tech 1\Source Ports\DSDA-Doom/autoload/PLUTONIA.WAD/doom2_plutonia_widegfx.wad

adding F:\Entertainment\Gaming\Source Ports\id Tech 1\Source Ports\DSDA-Doom/autoload/PLUTONIA.WAD/doom_widehud.wad

adding F:\Entertainment\Gaming\Source Ports\id Tech 1\PWADs\Enhancements\Roland SC-55 Music Packs\plutonia_sc55_flac_raw.wad

Using data file directory: F:/Entertainment/Gaming/Source Ports/id Tech 1/Source Ports/DSDA-Doom/dsda_doom_data/plutonia/plutonia_sc55_flac_raw

Playing demo:
  Name: demo1
  Compatibility: Final Doom

Playing demo:
  Name: demo2

Playing demo:
  Name: demo3

TNT:

dsda-doom v0.26.2 (https://github.com/kraflab/dsda-doom/)

dsda-doom is released under the GNU General Public license v2.0.
You are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.
It comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. See the file COPYING for details.

Playing: Final DOOM - TNT: Evilution

adding F:/Entertainment/Gaming/Source Ports/id Tech 1/IWADs/TNT.WAD

adding F:\Entertainment\Gaming\Source Ports\id Tech 1\Source Ports\DSDA-Doom/dsda-doom.wad

adding F:\Entertainment\Gaming\Source Ports\id Tech 1\Source Ports\DSDA-Doom/autoload/doom-all/DSDATC.lmp

adding F:\Entertainment\Gaming\Source Ports\id Tech 1\Source Ports\DSDA-Doom/autoload/TNT.WAD/D2SPFX20.WAD

adding F:\Entertainment\Gaming\Source Ports\id Tech 1\Source Ports\DSDA-Doom/autoload/TNT.WAD/doom2_tnt_widegfx.wad

adding F:\Entertainment\Gaming\Source Ports\id Tech 1\Source Ports\DSDA-Doom/autoload/TNT.WAD/doom_widehud.wad
 adding F:\Entertainment\Gaming\So
urce Ports\id Tech 1\PWADs\Enhancements\Roland SC-55 Music Packs\tntevilution_sc55_flac_raw.wad

Using data file directory: F:/Entertainment/Gaming/Source Ports/id Tech 1/Source Ports/DSDA-Doom/dsda_doom_data/tnt/tntevilution_sc55_flac_raw

Playing demo:
  Name: demo1

Lastly, is there a way to gain the audio of these music packs without having to adjust the volume manually within the game everytime I switch to WADs that don't feature enhanced music?

Edited by Dinoaur

extras_for_sourceports is packaged as a zip within the zip, I don't think dsda-doom loads files recursively. The SC-55 music pack has a file structure that dsda-doom doesn't recognize; the zip support just saves you the trouble of unzipping WADs from zip files, it doesn't mean it'll know what to do if you give it arbitrary files zipped together.

Late to the party on this one as I hadn't realised there was a new thread, but thank you SO much for making those fixes to Hexen (animated mid textures, music). This means DSDA will now be my go-to port for everything!

Hi - been using Luxtorpeda on Steam Deck to try various source ports and DSDA currently my pick as a perfect mix of controller support and classic feel, just pipping Doom Retro for me. But I have one minor issue - in PrBoom and DoomRetro, when I set the screen size to full (I didn't see a way to do so in the menu in DSDA, so I had to use the OSD keyboard to hit +) I get a nice minimal hud without the status bar (health/armour bottom left corner, ammo bottom right).

In DSDA this gives me a text-based HUD instead. I was wondering does DSDA have a way to show the PRBoom version of the max screen size HUD instead?

2 hours ago, Shepardus said:

You can customize the HUD to some extent, but it's not going to look just like the PrBoom one.

Interesting, looks like I need big_armor, big_health, big_ammo and the keys... though not sure what format the file I make containing the hud definition would be? I guess -hud filename can just go in my doomrunner argument though? I would just edit the lump, but not sure that file even exists with the way I have the engine installed.

Edit: Ah I see I have to open the wad file and edit the lump via slade. Learn new things every day. All a bit fiddly though. Managed to get the health/armour showing along with ammo but would need to tweak the positions a lot, and keys didn't seem to show up. Might just stick with the tradtional status bar.

Edited by Duffking

On 6/14/2023 at 10:35 PM, Shepardus said:

extras_for_sourceports is packaged as a zip within the zip, I don't think dsda-doom loads files recursively. The SC-55 music pack has a file structure that dsda-doom doesn't recognize; the zip support just saves you the trouble of unzipping WADs from zip files, it doesn't mean it'll know what to do if you give it arbitrary files zipped together.

I'll keep in mind that it's only for zipped WADs, not just any file in a .ZIP archive.

However, even when I unzip and put "extras_for_sourceports.wad" in "kdikdizd.zip", the extras still won't load with the other WADs, almost as if there's a limited amount of WADs that can be loaded together.

And what about Plutonia and TNT crashing with the SC-55 music - what could be causing this? I have taken the tracks and put them in a .WAD archive.

Edited by Dinoaur

I was also wondering if it'd be possible to add autoload functionality to .ZIP archives, for example a folder in the "autoload" folder named "kdikdizd.zip", or is this only for WADs?

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed that dsda-doom does not recognize the analog sticks on my controller, everything on the controller works on dsda-doom , except the analog sticks, I found this very strange is it some kind of incompatibility?
I'm a bit new to PC classic doom as I've only played the PSX/N64 console versions so I'm kind of used to playing on controllers.
One thing that would be very cool in dsda-doom would be the option of also being able to configure the colors of the armor according to the amount of it, as well as the options for the amount of ammo and health, the PrBoom+ 2.6.66 engine offers this option as shown in the picture.

2023-06-27.png

Edited by Vladjslavs Dracvlae

1 hour ago, Vladjslavs Dracvlae said:

I noticed that dsda-doom does not recognize the analog sticks on my controller, everything on the controller works on dsda-doom , except the analog sticks, I found this very strange is it some kind of incompatibility?

What kind of controller do you have? Perhaps this is an incompatibility with SDL2. Try it if it works in GZDoom or Woof.

Edited by rfomin

21 minutes ago, rfomin said:

What kind of controller do you have? Perhaps this is an incompatibility with SDL2. Try it if it works in GZDoom or Woof.

Sony DS4, everything on the controller works except the analog sticks.

19 hours ago, Vladjslavs Dracvlae said:

One thing that would be very cool in dsda-doom would be the option of also being able to configure the colors of the armor according to the amount of it, as well as the options for the amount of ammo and health, the PrBoom+ 2.6.66 engine offers this option as shown in the picture.

in dsda-doom those settings are hidden in the .cfg file, open dsda-doom.cfg and look for the "# Heads-up display settings" section

1 hour ago, Ramon_Demestre said:

in dsda-doom those settings are hidden in the .cfg file, open dsda-doom.cfg and look for the "# Heads-up display settings" section

The armor color option does not appear the way the health and ammo color options appear (hud_health_**), (hud_ammo_**). I tried to create a line like (hud_armor_**), but it didn't work, when I start dsda-doom it returns the .cfg file to the default edition.

Captura de tela 2023-06-29 075537.png

Edited by Vladjslavs Dracvlae

8 hours ago, Vladjslavs Dracvlae said:

The armor color option does not appear the way the health and ammo color options appear (hud_health_**), (hud_ammo_**). I tried to create a line like (hud_armor_**), but it didn't work, when I start dsda-doom it returns the .cfg file to the default edition. 

I guess it must have been removed just for the armor then :(

Maybe it's a mistake? because it would be strange to remove the option just for the armor when it is still present for health and ammo.

22 minutes ago, dsda-dev said:

The armor is colored by type rather than by threshold.

what a shame, it would be nice if there was an option to leave the armor colored by limit too, like in prboom+. :(

Just started using Dsda-Doom earlier this month. Are there any significant changes between 0.26.1 and 0.26.2? Should I consider updating at this point? Also, what would be the fastest way to import configs and settings from one version to another? Should I assume copying the cfg file would do it?

9 hours ago, Chao-G said:

Just started using Dsda-Doom earlier this month. Are there any significant changes between 0.26.1 and 0.26.2? Should I consider updating at this point? Also, what would be the fastest way to import configs and settings from one version to another? Should I assume copying the cfg file would do it?

The .x patches are usually bug fixes, so it's a good idea to update. Copying a config file works in most cases, especially between versions in the same .x (so 0.26.1 to 0.26.2 should be fine, you can just copy the file).

Will there be a way to adjust sprite clipping in OpenGL? Looks kind of weird when some monsters suddenly clip into the floor when the last death frame shows (e.g. Pinky Demon).

My config for a Crispy-style HUD, in case anyone was looking for something similar. Needs a 16:9 resolution (e.g. 1920x1080 or 854x400) or the horizontal positions will be off. Not tested with advanced demo features so some status messages etc. might be in the wrong place, but it's modified from the default DSDA full HUD so hopefully not. It looks kinda stupid in screenshots but feels extremely natural to play with IMO.

SodXp0Rl.png

doom full
// 16:9 aspect ratio only
big_ammo 56 29 bottom_left
big_health_text 102 29 bottom_left
big_armor_text 125 29 bottom_right
weapon_text 155 29 bottom_left 1
stat_totals 2 40 bottom_left
composite_time 2 48 bottom_left
free_text 2 48 bottom_left
tracker 2 56 bottom_left
ammo_text 210 34 bottom_right 0
keys 185 29 bottom_right
render_stats 2 8 top_left
coordinate_display 2 8 top_left
line_display 98 8 top_left
command_display 198 48 bottom_right
event_split 10 16 top_left
level_splits 2 2 top
fps 298 0 top_right
minimap 264 8 top_right 48 48 1024
message 0 0 top_left
secret_message 0 76 none
add_offset 1 top_left

Low-priority feature requests: colour-coded big ammo for the HUD, make the blue less hideous.

Also: now that PrB+ has been officially archived with DSDA-Doom as its successor, should there be a thread for it (this one or another) in the source ports section?

Edited by plums

This one is mine - it's more like Crispy Doom's widescreen crispy HUD, where there's less clutter around the middle of the screen.

583056394_26370pxawayfrombothsides.png.6c1b1f97edded526f040f28e5ff23427.png

Spoiler

doom full
composite_time 4 50 bottom_left 0
stat_totals 4 42 bottom_left
big_health_text 56 32 bottom_left
big_ammo 7 32 bottom_left
weapon_text 8 12 bottom_left 0

big_armor_text 275 32 bottom_left
keys 261 34 bottom_right
ammo_text 276 36 bottom_right 0

message 0 0 top_left
secret_message 0 76 none
fps 298 0 top_right

tracker 2 56 bottom_left
render_stats 2 8 top_left
coordinate_display 2 8 top_left
line_display 98 8 top_left
command_display 198 48 bottom_right
event_split 10 16 top_left
level_splits 2 2 top

On 7/1/2023 at 11:10 AM, plums said:

Low-priority feature requests: colour-coded big ammo for the HUD, make the blue less hideous.

I agree with these requests too. I'd also like the ability to remove the WPN text from the weapon_text component, similar to how you can remove weapon names from the ammo_text component.

Edited by pltr

On 6/7/2023 at 1:06 PM, Ramon_Demestre said:

(I do not see why anyone would like that but it is here)

I like it.

Is there an option to adjust sprite clipping in OpenGL? I believe there was one before, with settings like Smart and Always, similar to how it is in GZDoom. Otherwise, sprites get cut off as they clip into the floor. (Notice the Zombieman's hand and feet.) This is how it's supposed to look like (using Software mode), and other GL ports have the option I mentioned above to make it look similar.