Question on repacking official content

I am in the midst of creating a mod (so far for personal recreation) which combines several parts of all the official classic doom into one.

Ultimate, Sigil, Doom 2, Final Doom, Master Levels, NRFTL, as well as console-exclusive content and Romero's bonus e1 maps.

(This project is targeted for GZDoom and aims to do more than any other combination project I know of)

If I ensure that an IWAD is still required, will there be any problems if I were to release it?

Edited by StalkerZHS

Requiring an IWAD doesn't really ensure that you have a legitimate copy of the original games, that IWAD could be Freedoom for all you know. A patcher like what Wadsmoosh or Doom 64 CE uses would be safer in terms of copyright.

Well, if you redistribute the map files even if you remove everything else it technically still counts as a copyright infringment.

But since there exists mods that have the oficial maps... I'm not really sure. lol

On 6/30/2023 at 5:51 PM, Herr Dethnout said:

Well, if you redistribute the map files even if you remove everything else it technically still counts as a copyright infringment.

But since there exists mods that have the oficial maps... I'm not really sure. lol

I plan for the maps would be converted to udmf, and further edited atop that

It doesn't matter, but the terms of the Doom content license are pretty clear that there's to be no imps, former human sounds or textures or anything derivative of actual Doom assets in the contents of the files you distribute

General rule is that if the content can be found in the targeted IWad then there's zero need to include the content in the actual mod or wad file. 

If you want a good example of what to do for guidelines then look at Doom142 wad.