Ashes 2063 - GZDOOM Total Conversion

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/26/2023 at 11:56 PM, june gloom said:

Question -- will you be updating the bundled GZDoom release to 4.11.0?

Yes! We're using some of the new functions, such as friendly monsters not auto-following the player and other improvements.
So no more getting blocked in houses or shops by curious civilians who have suddently decided you are the life of the party.

Also!

We are getting close to the end now. Still too early to confirm a release as there is something special I want to drop at the end of this little journey. But we're getting there.

image.png.3a5828b68ee72cb6ae45a9e8029000d3.png

4 hours ago, Vostyok said:

Yes! We're using some of the new functions, such as friendly monsters not auto-following the player and other improvements.
So no more getting blocked in houses or shops by curious civilians who have suddently decided you are the life of the party.

Also!

We are getting close to the end now. Still too early to confirm a release as there is something special I want to drop at the end of this little journey. But we're getting there.

image.png.3a5828b68ee72cb6ae45a9e8029000d3.png

I'm literally just using this acc for ashes news at this point. I am so stoked.

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

I'm usually not a fan of total conversions.

But there are exceptions. Ashes 2063 completely blew me away when it was first released. The environments, the gameplay, the sounds, incredible depth to the mechanics, and the insanely badass music. Now, I'm hooked.

I can't wait for what's to come next. Keep up the good work.

Edited by Zesiir

• 5 weeks later...

@Vostyok

Do you think there will be a way to make custom maps for Ashes in the future? I just love the setting, and creating realistic environments in Doom is so much fun.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Zesiir said:

@Vostyok

Do you think there will be a way to make custom maps for Ashes in the future? I just love the setting, and creating realistic environments in Doom is so much fun.

There already is - just load up DoomBuilder (I recommend UltimateDoomBuilder) with Gzdoom.pk3 and any of the main mod files (such as AshesAfterglow1_10.pk3) as a your resources and away you go.

Main thing to remember is that most of the existing enemies, weapons and items all have a Doom equivalent - so if you put a zombieman in your map, you'll see a pistol Vulture instead. Everything else appears in the User Defined section of the actor menu.  image.png.a42d7671d5127a2383b46354f87c8a31.pngimage.png.e48aaf108a5b0e5e3d57279930a5af01.png

Feel free to open up our maps and see how they all fit together. Just remember to save a copy before editing the mod itself XD

Edited by Vostyok

Thank you so much for the explanation! I can't wait to sink my teeth into this.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2024 at 7:00 PM, Vostyok said:

. . . . .

Feel free to open up our maps and see how they all fit together. Just remember to save a copy before editing the mod itself XD

Ive had a ton of fun doing this, and was wondering if a pk3 containing just the textures would ever be a thing? It'd be a great help to me as i don't want to copy all the map properties and such for a single level wad/pk3.

btw- first time on the forum, so sorry if this doesn't fit some pre established format '^^

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

I'm about 115 hours into playing Oblivion atm, and I'm sure this is going to derail me :P

The Ashes series has been, hands-down, one of the best FPSes I've ever experienced; commercial or otherwise.

Edited by Kroc
\n

That first level, just wow. Perfect blend of Ashes slow burn, setup (hinting that what you don't want to happen, is going to happen), and intensity.

Posted (edited)

Made an account just to pat you on the ass on how great this series has been.

I may have ran into an issue with Hard Reset's Cordon checkpoint, though. No matter what I do with the Jacobs quest it seems like I'm always locked into the trigger where everyone is aggressive towards me once I reach Lucas and I'm gunning alone through all the blackwater dudes with no backup from the doc, followed by Gray scolding me for being reckless at the checkpoint. Did I miss something with the quest or was I not supposed to clear out the whole place before moving onto the boss? Or maybe I should have doubled back immediately after getting done with lucas and opened the gates so that Doc and his guys can help out? I'm not really sure.

Edit: Also minor typo, but one of the quit game quotes misspells "Forbidden" as Forbiddon.

Also I figure I should have attached my save file. The regular save is me after finishing the Jacobs quest and just before the Lucas ambush.

The autosave is after the map, when Gray calls you out.

ashessaves.7z

Edited by shottyman

Posted (edited)

"Night School" might be the quintessential Ashes level. I loved every second of it. Easily one of the creepiest levels I've ever played in a game.

I wanted to report that you can talk to the militia NPCs through the fence after fighting Lukas but they all return a generic string of text.

[ETA] also the Gladiator uses the same burning death sprites as the rank-and-file mutants.

Edited by june gloom

Posted (edited)

1, maybe 2 bugs. On the farm, when you enter the 2nd room only accessible by duct, no amount of crouch-jumping will get me back in the pipe. On the other end when you exit the duct, you likewise can't enter it again but this could be intentional(?) to prevent back tracking at that point.

Screenshot_Doom_20240611_175305.png.f518690220dfef17332e63a1ce5c3f4d.png

A quick 'nother one. You *can* make that jump off the caravan and get out of town the wrong way:

Screenshot_Doom_20240611_181242.png.5081126b56eaf37d70791b6bcdf7e69f.png

Edited by Kroc
There's no way that jump can make that bus!

Simple question: Am I supposed to somehow do prison before I go to spire? I couldn't find a way to choose it, now I'm on my way to spire and I'm wondering if I've locked myself out of a side-quest :(

I thought this too then I eventually made it back up and out of that room after many jumps. But yes, could benefit from another mm or two

5 hours ago, Kroc said:

1, maybe 2 bugs. On the farm, when you enter the 2nd room only accessible by duct, no amount of crouch-jumping will get me back in the pipe. On the other end when you exit the duct, you likewise can't enter it again but this could be intentional(?) to prevent back tracking at that point.

Screenshot_Doom_20240611_175305.png.f518690220dfef17332e63a1ce5c3f4d.png

Spoiler

image.png.185444f68013b0f9f0c7b3ee4562f797.png

Missing texture in the mall level. Also lots of misaligned textures, mostly floor/ceiling, in the subway level immediately prior, too many to list to be honest.

PS Possessor Worms legit made me scream. Whatever you do after you're all done with Ashes please make it scary because this is top-notch.

Posted (edited)

I've noticed when I have the flashlight and hunter shotgun out, then switch to the sawed off the flashlight stays on

took me way too long to figure out the hollowpoints were alt ammo for the pistol, I just thought I missed a whole gun pickup. I am dumb though

funny how people keep talking if you leave the dialogue

I had the same issue shottyman had with cordon earlier uppage, was not expecting to have to fight that boss/everyone right away

spelling mistake--the young man who tells you to look at the sandy apartment building says "of to the south east" instead of "off" to the southeast

Edited by scrubbysniff

Posted (edited)

Yeah, is there _really_ no way to get through Cordon without a *massive* immediate gun-fight? I wasn't going to leave without my 100% but I had the feeling I was missing a possible option to sneak through unharmed and go back and clean up. Also, the ending of that level was... what's the secret of black water? I didn't get my answer :shrug:

Edited by Kroc
lol