[1.1] Deafening Deals : A Single-map WAD for Oripathy II

Spoiler

Version 1.1 :

- Modified The Discounts R' Us section so as to not let the played seated in safety

- Switched positions between the cyberdemon and hell knights when exiting Bobby Ray's Gun Emporium after pressing the exit switch

Hello there, fellow DOOMers !

Here's a new map from me called Deafening Deals, acting as Oripathy II's MAP14. It's set in a mall-esque map compatible with MBF21 (CompLevel21), features some dabbling in doomcute (not a lot, but still) and custom textures, and shouldn't take long to complete.

Oh, and most of the songs are MIDIs hailing from Neil Cicierega's earliest works.

Deafening Deals.wad

As always, thanks for playing my maps, and have fun ! :)

- Extra thanks to @plums for teaching me how to re-integrate direct Imgur screenshot links onto my topic ! -

Spoiler

D_DM2TTL : "cool funk"
D_DM2INT : "random"
D_RUNNIN : "uhh"

Spoiler

5Gzxyo5l.pngQvwhj6hl.pnge1Dp3l8l.pngPLhvVvXl.pngAwSUTFAl.png

VIeEbYSl.png

Edited by Origamyde
v.1.1

I'll maybe check out your map later, the screenshots look really good, just wanted to say you definitely can still post images directly in the post. For imgur change the domain to i.imgur.com and add a filename extension (doesn't even matter if it matches the type). If you want to scale the size down automatically, add an l (lowercase L) to the image filename before the .png or whatever extension.

Example:

5Gzxyo5l.png

I just pasted https://i.imgur.com/5Gzxyo5l.png and DoomWorld auto-converts and embeds it into an image.

I thought limit removing doesn't include MBF21 features?

Semantics aside, this is a great map! The visuals are on point with how a mall would look like in the Doom universe, lighting and texturing is sensible and coherent.

Spoiler

not a lot of doomcute is a bit of a lie. there's lots of it here, and I love it! my favorites were the gamestamp and the outdoors party. and the toilets.

Gameplay itself is good too - enemy balance and traps are neat for the most part. I was going to complain that the abundance of ammo and health makes the map a bit too easy, but it is a mall, and they thrive in goods redundancyI also lack context from not having played preceding levels. That said, I do have some suggestions:

- The warehouse fight (the other red key sector) could use a bit more work with the yellow key alcove (like lowering the counter enough to make player vulnerable - I found myself just chilling there in both attempts at 18:39 and 21:30). This is a shopping mall of demons after all - of course they would pull off some tricks to screw you over.

- At the end of the weapon shop, a bunch of enemies are out to get you. There's a Cyberdemon at the end of the line - and he was irrelevant, relatively speaking. Perhaps some repositioning to make the player watch their steps a little bit more? 

My gameplay video, with a lot of exaggerated reactions:

Edited by TheNoob_Gamer
add timestamps

This was lots of fun!  Perhaps a little too much ammo on UV, but I don't think that affected any of the fights, really.  Hope you keep mapping!

• 1 month later...

There were some other WADs played on this stream (usually playing them in bulk) but I cannot find their forum threads to share recorded gameplay. 

Edited by CortexReaver