Brutal Doom 64 requires Doom 2? (Linux)

Hi all. I'm trying to install Brutal Doom 64, using the remastered version of Doom 64 from Steam. As you can see from the instructions here, you also need Doom 2. To be placed in the "target" folder, whatever that means. Can anyone confirm this? Do you really need Doom 2 just to play brutal Doom 64?

https://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom-64/downloads/brutal-doom-64-on-linux

Since it's Linux, any advice on installation would be greatly appreciated. I'm not sure where to get all the original Doom 2 files, and I'm not sure where to place them, once I have them.

Using Manjaro KDE Linux. Thank you

Edited by bennylava

Yes, Brutal Doom 64 it's indeed a mod for Doom 2, you requiere the doom2.wad and put in the folder where the .exe of Brutal Doom 64 it's.

If you have the games on steam, you will find the in a folder I think it's called base, instead of the one called rerelease. If you don't have Doom 2 right now it's on sale on Steam, and You can also get with it TNT evolution and Plutonia expansions.

Edited by D4NUK1

2 hours ago, D4NUK1 said:

Yes, Brutal Doom 64 it's indeed a mod for Doom 2, you requiere the doom2.wad and put in the folder where the .exe of Brutal Doom 64 it's.

If you have the games on steam, you will find the in a folder I think it's called base, instead of the one called rerelease. If you don't have Doom 2 right now it's on sale on Steam, and You can also get with it TNT evolution and Plutonia expansions.

So I'd just take the main folder from Doom 2 (after I install the game from Steam) and drag it to the root directory of Doom 64? Since it's linux there's no .exe, since .exe files will not run on linux.

2 hours ago, bennylava said:

So I'd just take the main folder from Doom 2 (after I install the game from Steam) and drag it to the root directory of Doom 64? Since it's linux there's no .exe, since .exe files will not run on linux.

You will want to get the doom2.wad and place it in the same folder as the program I believe.

1 hour ago, Immorpher said:

You will want to get the doom2.wad and place it in the same folder as the program I believe.

That's all, just "doom2.wad" and nothing else? As for "the program", do you mean the root directory for Doom 64? Or one of the sub folders of the root directory?

1 hour ago, bennylava said:

That's all, just "doom2.wad" and nothing else? As for "the program", do you mean the root directory for Doom 64? Or one of the sub folders of the root directory?

You need to place your Doom2.wad into this folder, but I don't know how you will run the mod without the exe file.

UPD:

Do you see the "Start BD.sh" file? SH is the script installer file, you need to open your terminal, drag this .sh file on it. The installation process should start from this moment in a separate window/or in this exact terminal. Sometimes, to execute a script, like on Windows, you may need admin rights - you just need to put "sudo" in front of the script command and everything should be fine.

Edited by Dexiaz

4 hours ago, bennylava said:

Since it's linux there's no .exe, since .exe files will not run on linux.

Saying this as a fellow Linux user: Wine is pretty much essential for any Linux user (see: https://blog.hiler.eu/win32-the-only-stable-abi/), you can also add the executable as a non-Steam game and run it through Proton (Steam's fork of Wine that is more tailored towards gaming). If you're a Linux user and you want to play games you're going to have to rely on Windows software, because most games are written for Windows. If you have a lot of Steam games you probably already have a lot of Windows games already that are running through Proton.

Edited by Individualised

1 hour ago, Individualised said:

Saying this as a fellow Linux user: Wine is pretty much essential for any Linux user (see: https://blog.hiler.eu/win32-the-only-stable-abi/), you can also add the executable as a non-Steam game and run it through Proton (Steam's fork of Wine that is more tailored towards gaming). If you're a Linux user and you want to play games you're going to have to rely on Windows software, because most games are written for Windows. If you have a lot of Steam games you probably already have a lot of Windows games already that are running through Proton.

You don't need Wine or Proton to play Doom on Linux. GZDoom has an Ubuntu package on the ZDoom website, both GZDoom and Zandronum have Flatpaks on Flathub, and most source ports can be built from source.

1 hour ago, Dexiaz said:

Do you see the "Start BD.sh" file? SH is the script installer file, you need to open your terminal, drag this .sh file on it. The installation process should start from this moment in a separate window/or in this exact terminal. Sometimes, to execute a script, like on Windows, you may need admin rights - you just need to put "sudo" in front of the script command and everything should be fine.

You probably shouldn't run the script with sudo; aside from the general hazard of running things as root when it's not necessary, running it as root means any user files (e.g. saves, configs, etc.) would be read from/written to /root rather than your own home directory.

The instructions probably just mean to place doom2.wad in the directory where you unzipped the files. It's intended that you run the "Start BD.sh" script or the Zandronum executable (just "zandronum" without .exe extension). Whether that binary actually works depends on your distribution, though, since libraries can be different between distributions (it doesn't work for me, and I'm running Fedora). If it doesn't work, get a version of GZDoom or Zandronum that does work and run the three PK3 files in the "skins" directory with the source port, along with ZD64MUSIC.PK3.

I would recommend using a launcher to help launch the source port along with the files you want; I use ZDL, the x64 binary here works for me.

Edited by Shepardus

45 minutes ago, Shepardus said:

You don't need Wine or Proton to play Doom on Linux. GZDoom has an Ubuntu package on the ZDoom website, both GZDoom and Zandronum have Flatpaks on Flathub, and most source ports can be built from source.

I thought Brutal Doom 64 was it's own source port given OP's original post. If it's just a standard mod that also happens to ship an executable then yeah.

I use ZDL as well. You can also use FreeDoom Phase 2 in lieu of Doom 2 especially for something like Brutal Doom 64. 

Brutal Doom 64 runs fine for this way using GZDoom 4.10. Mod itself is fine but the Mapset is fire 🔥

5 minutes ago, Gougaru said:

You really should give doom 64 ce a go instead.  Superior in every way if you're looking for a overhaul 

Agreed. It is also highly customisable; you can make it look and feel almost exactly like the original game if you want, complete with 320x240 resolution. However the download is very Windows-centric and you might get confused setting it up first time as it requires the actual Doom 64 game files.

Edited by Individualised

• 2 weeks later...

I just noticed this post. The OP probably has already got the mod working but I may as well quote the below as it maybe useful to those who come across this page and wonder how to install. This is from my Moddb page for v2.5 but should be a decent enough guide to installing from scratch at least on Windows and Delta touch (Android).

Installation from scratch:

On top of the download you will also need:
⦁ "Doom2.wad" or "Freedoom2.wad". (N.B. Freedoom is an open source project and is free to download from: Freedoom.github.io)

//Zandronum
⦁ Download Zandronum. The latest stable and dev version can be found here: Zandronum.com

⦁ In the main Zandronum directory place either "Doom2.wad" or "Freedoom2.wad".

⦁ In the Zandronum main directory create a new folder called "skins" and place any mod files here that you want to load (mod, maps, music, etc).

⦁ Run Zandronum.exe to play

//GZDoom
⦁ Download GZDoom: Zdoom.org

⦁ In the main GZDoom directory place all files here (Doom2.wad or Freedoom2.wad and mod files).

⦁ There are multiple ways to load the mod. Here are a few methods:

Drag all mod files onto the GZDoom.exe to run.

Use a ZDoom Loader (ZDL) to load mods.

Start GZDoom.exe and exit the game to generate a config file gzdoom-<username>.ini. Edit the config file and add the mod file names under the [doom.autoload] heading and save the config.

example:

[doom.autoload]
path=bd64game_v2.5.pk3
path=bd64maps_v2.5.pk3
path=any other mod file

⦁ Run GZDoom.exe to play

//Delta Touch (Android Only)

Delta Touch Google Play link: Play.google.com

After installing the app the necessary folders are automatically created on your device.

The simplest way to transfer file is to use a cable to transfer from computer to device. You can also just use the device to download and place the files.

Place Doom2.wad or Freedoom2.wad into folder OpenTouch/Delta

Place all mods into the folder OpenTouch/Delta/mods

Start Delta Touch and select your desired sourceport. Press on the large arrow on the left to bring up the sourceport list. Select either Zandronum or if using GZDoom remember to use v3.8.2 or above.

When selecting mods, the load order is determined by the sequence you select mods from the list. N.B. To clear the active mods press the X icon, this is handy of you have an incorrect loading order.

Press the play button to begin.

Edited by swc132994