[Community Project] VANITY

2 minutes ago, dmh094 said:

danger sign on the door? xD

It's a nuclear power plant, that's to be expected. I'd be concerned if there wasn't one.
No, there needs to be a clear indication that there is something wrong with the room, not just the typical "this room is radioactive" sign. It needs to have something about it that clearly indicates the room is more than just your standard nuclear power plant affair.

3 hours ago, EPICALLL said:

Cool concept for MAP24, I only have gripes with how you're going to actually indicate that yes, simply being in the room hurts.

Heavy use of damaging floors. If I do this map about 60% of all the floors in the map are damaging floors. And yes, this will basically be Chernobyl as a Doom map.

21 minutes ago, RileyXY1 said:

Heavy use of damaging floors. If I do this map about 60% of all the floors in the map are damaging floors. And yes, this will basically be Chernobyl as a Doom map.

I was about to make a reference to the elephants foot. Seems you beat me to it.

I'm afraid I'm going to relinquish my slot. Apologies, but I don't see myself doing much, if any, doom mapping in the near future (i.e. 2-3 months at least), so hopefully 2.5 months till the deadline is enough to find a replacement.

Edited by Doomy__Doom

6 hours ago, Doomy__Doom said:

I'm afraid I'm going to relinquish my slot. Apologies, but I don't see myself doing much, if any, doom mapping in the near future (i.e. 2-3 months at least), so hopefully 2.5 months till the deadline is enough to find a replacement.

OK, well... Have a good day, then. Take care!

3 minutes ago, RileyXY1 said:

Although does my MAP24 idea fit the theme of the episode? Would a map that's essentially based on Chernobyl fit in?

I mean, it's a very post-apocalyptic episode, so... Yeah, that would fit. Perhaps like a "what if" of Chernobyl if the liquidators didn't succeed.

I'm 90% done! Just need to do lighting and balancing.

One thing I need to know tho:

On 8/9/2023 at 11:26 PM, EPICALLL said:

Episode 3 - Far Future (MAP11-MAP15)
This should feature a very technologically advanced yet also gritty and bleak future, try to find a partially (yet not fully) hellish skybox, probably something red.

Episode 4 - Meltdown (MAP16-MAP20)
Volcanic doom is imminent! Molten magma rains from above, and the technology is melting into a blue plasma! Feel free to find your own texture for this one, as I'm positive there isn't much in the form of plasma-looking textures in this pack.

It is my interpretation that tells me that Episode 4 still takes place in the future, however - all the tech is destroyed and lava starts breaking out of the ground due to the influence of Hell. Is this theory correct?

10 hours ago, Ar_e_en said:

I'm 90% done! Just need to do lighting and balancing.

One thing I need to know tho:

It is my interpretation that tells me that Episode 4 still takes place in the future, however - all the tech is destroyed and lava starts breaking out of the ground due to the influence of Hell. Is this theory correct?

It's not destroyed... yet. It's BEING destroyed. Very chaotic.

On 10/19/2023 at 2:39 PM, EPICALLL said:

It's not destroyed... yet. It's BEING destroyed. Very chaotic.

Alright!

My map is almost done! I'm just tweaking the difficulty and adding a few things now.

1 hour ago, Ar_e_en said:

Alright!

My map is almost done! I'm just tweaking the difficulty and adding a few things now.

cool, looking forward to seeing it.

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for the lack of communication so far, but work has been kicking my butt. I also spent time learning to import a colormap and a midi into the WAD, and solved an annoying HOM that comes up in non-GZDOOM source ports for linedef 271 usage. The solution finally came to me last night.

I'll post again when I have something more to offer, but regarding the colormap..

Screenshot_Doom_20231015_070633.png.d916700aeebba58ad5e0d72ed7585cb3.pngScreenshot_Doom_20231015_070640.png.03556aa4b022d7b721b2a9836b1b679e.png

So, I’m not sure what’s happening with map 30. I’ve had next to no communication with Heretic so I’m not sure whether I should go ahead or what?… 

1 hour ago, dmh094 said:

So, I’m not sure what’s happening with map 30. I’ve had next to no communication with Heretic so I’m not sure whether I should go ahead or what?… 

He's online right now. So, @Heretic926, you good?

2 minutes ago, EPICALLL said:

He's online right now. So, @Heretic926, you good?

Almost forgot about the collab here. I was busy with NaNoWADMo and some other stuff, I already sent him a message in Discord (we both happen to be in another community project). And also I can finally finish my map too.

23 minutes ago, Heretic926 said:

Almost forgot about the collab here. I was busy with NaNoWADMo and some other stuff, I already sent him a message in Discord (we both happen to be in another community project). And also I can finally finish my map too.

Ohhhhh.... Right! I forgot about that!

I'm going to release the map soon. I've been doing a lot of difficulty tweaks and while I'm not entirely satisfied by the current difficulty - giving people the the map for further testing is probably a better idea than spending another week removing and adding different enemies.

1 hour ago, Ar_e_en said:

I'm going to release the map soon. I've been doing a lot of difficulty tweaks and while I'm not entirely satisfied by the current difficulty - giving people the the map for further testing is probably a better idea than spending another week removing and adding different enemies.

That does indeed sound like a better idea than spending another week removing and adding different enemies.

Alright, I'm releasing the first version of my map! Test it out and tell me if there are any difficulty tweaks or bug fixes that I should make for the next version.

Author: Ar_e_en
Difficulty Settings: Easy, Normal and Hard skills are set, primary testing was done on UV.
Map Name: Radical Action to Cause a Meltdown
MIDI Used: "Fluid Motion" by James "Jimmy" Paddock

Description:

Spoiler

You awaken in some sort of futuristic chemical plant that has been invaded by Hell's forces. They brought something from there - a sacrificial altar that they will use to bring further chaos into this world! It's located in one of the holding-tanks, surrounded by a very thick caustic blue substance that could melt most metals around it. If the tank breaks, It could cause a massive meltdown of the structures around it, reducing this highly technical chemical plant into a small volcano.

Author's Comments:

Spoiler

This map was built with the idea of transitioning the theme of the previous 3rd episode into the theme of the 4th episode. The map will transform from a futuristic tech base setting into a melting and halfway destroyed tech base setting. The difficulty of the map might be a bit too hard and given that the slot for this map is set as the beginning of a new themed episode - I am open to making the map easier. This map contains one new flat (it's actually a modified sky texture from the resource pack). COOP and Deathmatch starts have been set, but they are untested. Most of testing was done in Woof (complevel 9).

Screenshots:

Spoiler

woof0000.png.9e157dad99aa46d7eb939c412cf097fd.png

Here's the map: MAP16_Vanity_(Ar_e_en)_v1.zip
Let me know what you think!

2 hours ago, Ar_e_en said:

Alright, I'm releasing the first version of my map! Test it out and tell me if there are any difficulty tweaks or bug fixes that I should make for the next version.

Author: Ar_e_en
Difficulty Settings: Easy, Normal and Hard skills are set, primary testing was done on UV.
Map Name: Radical Action to Cause a Meltdown
MIDI Used: "Fluid Motion" by James "Jimmy" Paddock

Description:

Reveal hidden contents

You awaken in some sort of futuristic chemical plant that has been invaded by Hell's forces. They brought something from there - a sacrificial altar that they will use to bring further chaos into this world! It's located in one of the holding-tanks, surrounded by a very thick caustic blue substance that could melt most metals around it. If the tank breaks, It could cause a massive meltdown of the structures around it, reducing this highly technical chemical plant into a small volcano.

Author's Comments:

Reveal hidden contents

This map was built with the idea of transitioning the theme of the previous 3rd episode into the theme of the 4th episode. The map will transform from a futuristic tech base setting into a melting and halfway destroyed tech base setting. The difficulty of the map might be a bit too hard and given that the slot for this map is set as the beginning of a new themed episode - I am open to making the map easier. This map contains one new flat (it's actually a modified sky texture from the resource pack). COOP and Deathmatch starts have been set, but they are untested. Most of testing was done in Woof (complevel 9).

Screenshots:

Reveal hidden contents

woof0000.png.9e157dad99aa46d7eb939c412cf097fd.png

Here's the map: MAP16_Vanity_(Ar_e_en)_v1.zip
Let me know what you think!

I'm just going to say this off the bat...

Spoiler

Grade: A+
Difficulty: B+

God damn, this is everything I could have wished for and more! I absolutely love the idea that commander keen was behind the volcanic doom, and he was ultimately the catalyst to the second half of the WAD. So, so funny.
And at the same time as the commander keen thing... THE WHOLE MAP CHANGES! THE ENTIRE MAP!
Now, you're in a wild goose chase with a whole bunch of shit, and all I have to say is... Wow. Holy shit, this is amazing.
I don't need to say much else, really.
The only very tiny, miniscule nitpick I have is you might want to fix the mountain sky, it's uh... A little short.

Anyways, amazing map, 10 Cacos out of 10.

P.S. about the difficulty of the map, honestly it's quite easy, easier than what I would have expected for the episode, consider buffing.

Edited by EPICALLL

15 hours ago, EPICALLL said:

The only very tiny, miniscule nitpick I have is you might want to fix the mountain sky, it's uh... A little short.

P.S. about the difficulty of the map, honestly it's quite easy, easier than what I would have expected for the episode, consider buffing.

The sky with the mountains on it? It's one of the stock skies from the resource pack, so there isn't much I can do to fix it, although - it is applied with the transfer sky action and the way that that action works makes it possible to move the sky texture around (I even use that fact to make the secondary red sky scroll to one side). The mountain sky texture has been vertically moved so that it would look good on my end (I play primarily on Woof which is a software only rendered port, DSDA and other ports with hardware rendering might screw up the sky textures). I could reset the sky textures offsets to zero, which might fix that problem, but it also might bring a problem that I was experiencing while making the map where from certain angles - you could see the texture repeat from the bottom. I'll see what I can do about it, but i can't guarantee that it will be fixed.

As for difficulty: I'm surprised that you consider it to be quite easy, maybe I'll add an extra Revenant or Archie, but I'd like to hear from any other testers first.

24 minutes ago, Ar_e_en said:

The sky with the mountains on it? It's one of the stock skies from the resource pack, so there isn't much I can do to fix it, although - it is applied with the transfer sky action and the way that that action works makes it possible to move the sky texture around (I even use that fact to make the secondary red sky scroll to one side). The mountain sky texture has been vertically moved so that it would look good on my end (I play primarily on Woof which is a software only rendered port, DSDA and other ports with hardware rendering might screw up the sky textures). I could reset the sky textures offsets to zero, which might fix that problem, but it also might bring a problem that I was experiencing while making the map where from certain angles - you could see the texture repeat from the bottom. I'll see what I can do about it, but i can't guarantee that it will be fixed.

As for difficulty: I'm surprised that you consider it to be quite easy, maybe I'll add an extra Revenant or Archie, but I'd like to hear from any other testers first.

I played the map too, so here's my thoughts:

It looks fantastic. I can tell you worked hard on creating such detailed environments using a lot of sectors with midtextures (I don't know anyone besides dobu gabu maru and a couple of other mappers who use that mapping technique). And yes, the fact that the whole layout changes after blowing up the tank is mapping wizardry I can't comprehend yet. Though after that moment the combat (tested UV only) becomes mostly unfair - teleporting revenants into narrow corridors when you have only SSG and chaingun is BS move that I personally can't handle. And the three archviles in the "vent" section are simply unnecessary. It's not that bad with a plasma gun, but I believe the secret with it is placed after those fights (might be incorrect though, but it is a fact that I have missed this secret). I wouldn't rate it as high as EPICALLL did, but it's a solid map nonetheless; it just needs some balancing in the combat department.

Edited by Heretic926

Yo EPICALL, I'm sorry for the late in-to-it stage I'm saying this but I'm gonna have to pull out. I've just found less and less time for the project and on another note I've just stopped finding it fun. Don't know what's up with that but it is what it is. Sorry again man, hope you find someone to fill in for my spot.

Edited by NotDeadYet

3 hours ago, NotDeadYet said:

Yo EPICALL, I'm sorry for the late in-to-it stage I'm saying this but I'm gonna have to pull out. I've just found less and less time for the project and on another note I've just stopped finding it fun. Don't know what's up with that but it is what it is. Sorry again man, hope you find someone to fill in for my spot.

no worries, man. take care!

Hey @EPICALLL, I might just snag map03. Feel like doing something tech-basey. Should be a pretty quick build as I've had an idea for a techbase map for ages that I can convert into a space station. If thats alright?  

27 minutes ago, dmh094 said:

Hey @EPICALLL, I might just snag map03. Feel like doing something tech-basey. Should be a pretty quick build as I've had an idea for a techbase map for ages that I can convert into a space station. If thats alright?  

aight, then. have at it!

1 hour ago, dmh094 said:

in space, no one can hear you scream...

uac.1.jpg

I can't tell if I'm supposed to be scared or not, but that quote definitely speaks to the former.

2 hours ago, EPICALLL said:

I can't tell if I'm supposed to be scared or not, but that quote definitely speaks to the former.

The map is called “Graveyard Shift” had the idea of a derelict refinery ship that the player enters and it looks like a blood bath. Flickering lights and such. It has the aesthetic of an old rusty frater with the atmosphere of alien.

just converted it to  an old section of the space station that’s been unused for years at this point. :D player starts in an elevator that’s come from one the upper levels. 

Edited by dmh094