1k1k - A COMPACT Doom 2 Community Project [RELEASED]

Just a heads-up, there's no reason to limit projects to exactly-32-maps anymore unless you're shooting for strict vanilla doom compatibility (which you probably shouldn't for a project like this, there's little point) -- virtually all modern ports support UMAPINFO or some equivalent, so go for that and free up the maplist to accommodate however many maps you get rather than shoot for some arbitrary target that will inevitably be missed.

I understand OBLIGE but no ChatGPT? Not like it's gonna put lines down. Not advocating for it, nor have I used it for mapping but that's an odd limit.

I mean it probably would give you shit directions but still.

2 hours ago, Yop said:

1. You CANNOT build outside of 1000x1000 sector (1024x1024 is the max.)

So this is just a more constrained version of the 1024 formula? Sign me up, I'll take MAP09. 

49 minutes ago, Gothic Box said:

So this is just a more constrained version of the 1024 formula? Sign me up, I'll take MAP09. 

It's all yours

1 hour ago, DankMetal said:

I'll give it a try! I want map 10.

All yours

Have fun you two!

2 hours ago, Xaser said:

so go for that and free up the maplist to accommodate however many maps you get rather than shoot for some arbitrary target that will inevitably be missed.

1000 maps with 1000x1000 lines

1k1k1k

Edited by Mr Masker

Made the decision to cut it down from 32 maps to 22 maps, this should be more achievable.

Edited by Yop

I already have an interesting idea and I want to make it a reality. Count me in for MAP03.

But one question troubles me - are monster closets allowed?

1 minute ago, EagerBeaver said:

I already have an interesting idea and I want to make it a reality. Count me in for MAP03.

But one question troubles me - are monster closets allowed?

hmmm, I'll say that separate teleporter closets are allowed and the typical wall opening monster closets are also allowed if they fit within the sector. I'll add some extra clarification about the 1000x1000 restriction.

13 minutes ago, FletcherHonoroma said:

I'd be interested in the Map 06 slot, thank you.

All yours

Seems like a good project to de-rust with. Haven't mapped in almost a year but I'm gonna go ahead and request the Map05 slot.

Just as a clarifying question, as you've mentioned monster closets are fine, could we build areas outside of the 1000x1000 area that the player cannot reach but still contain monsters? Like monster snipers or flyers that could enter the play area from the outside? 

34 minutes ago, ABearInThaWoods said:

Seems like a good project to de-rust with. Haven't mapped in almost a year but I'm gonna go ahead and request the Map05 slot.

Just as a clarifying question, as you've mentioned monster closets are fine, could we build areas outside of the 1000x1000 area that the player cannot reach but still contain monsters? Like monster snipers or flyers that could enter the play area from the outside? 

Map 05 is all yours, hmmm I'll say you're good to have stuff like that.

25 minutes ago, SG. said:

Would like to take the 16th slot

All yours 

13 minutes ago, Solmyr said:

Can i take the Map 08 slot?

You most certainly can

Interesting... It might be a tight squeeze for me schedule-wise, but I think that makes the challenge more interesting.

Slot me in for MAP07, if you please.

Also, quick question: Is there a limit to how many custom textures we're allowed to utilize? Like... Can we include only *this* many textures, or are you willing to compile the entirety of 32in24 into the wad file? Just asking before I go ham with it on UDB.

1 hour ago, yourlocalchef said:

@yop so were allowed to have extended space beyond 1000x1000 as long as the player cant enter it?

Only for monster window dressing.

1 hour ago, Treehouseminis said:

This sounds very fun, and nice change of pace for me since I gravitate towards big maps.  

I'll take map 18 slot 

All yours.

52 minutes ago, Emperor S P O O N said:

Interesting... It might be a tight squeeze for me schedule-wise, but I think that makes the challenge more interesting.

Slot me in for MAP07, if you please.

Also, quick question: Is there a limit to how many custom textures we're allowed to utilize? Like... Can we include only *this* many textures, or are you willing to compile the entirety of 32in24 into the wad file? Just asking before I go ham with it on UDB.

map07 is all yours, Now then with custom textures i'd say limit it to a small amount, out of best interest for participants i'd say no more than 10 custom textures per entry. This can of course be changed if needs be, but i think it's a suitable amount while keeping future me's sanity intact when compiling and mappers happy with what they can use in the small space.

1 minute ago, Raith138 said:

Can I also take 01?

Yes yes, Make sure it's a good first impression!

I will submit both of them at once and whatever one is better will be map 01.

Also maybe posting your map 02 would be good because people can give feedback.

Edited by Raith138