1k1k - A COMPACT Doom 2 Community Project [RELEASED]

7 hours ago, Tangra666 said:

@Yop I did final updates to my map, i don't expect to make any more changes. The gameplay remains the same, it's purely a cosmetic update. I fixed two misaligned textures, one sector had a different bright level than intended, and i added an "Exit" sign over the switch that reveals the exit teleport.

Map 17: "Cosmic Horror" 

MIDI: The Prodigy - Spitfire

Textures: SpaceSky from 32in24 15 v2 texture pack. Everything else is vanilla Doom 2 stuff.

Download: https://www.mediafire.com/file/uukzz6g7bkbdiou/CosmicV2.wad/file

I have not played since the first version so I replayed it and it is way better now. The final 2 fights are way better now and don't feel as unfair. I would say that the fight just before the switch that unlocks the end switch is badly placed because on my first playthrough I didn't realise it even started and then got screwed because I had 2 fights at once.

Edited by Raith138

[Infected Library Map13]
[Jotun-Inflames]
[Vanilla Textures(only used 10 textures and 10 flats)]

I'm sure people will let me know if anythings broken. But with that I'm done with making maps for the project. Onto bug testing and balancing based on feedback.

infectedlibrary2.3.zip

Edited by yourlocalchef

here is the MAP11, a clean techbase and greenhouse, it's full of lush.

it has custom textures, i packed them with the map and music.

slot: MAP11
name: Rocket Gardens
song : "la creation du mondy" by "Stewboy"
texture credits:
    "sgt_mark_IV"
    "jimmy"
    "msx"
    "doomer board projects"

download :
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/13b4qqcbton5l250pyo1m/1k1k_map11_v1b.wad?rlkey=rj7mb4vt1sunmv9fx6mln4dad&dl=0

screenshots

Spoiler

doom07.png.6c77ae823484acc74f41d6d7b6a4e50a.pngdoom05.png.3b999eb1ad36d501a4385bf55589e928.png

i made this map from a room of a scraped map i was mapping some months ago, i fully edit it and redesign it for this project though!

Edited by Higo Doragon
fixed up a mistake on TEXTURE1 lump, added screenshots

39 minutes ago, yourlocalchef said:

[Infected Library Map13]
[Jotun-Inflames]

I'm sure people will let me know if anythings broken. But with that I'm done with making maps for the project. Onto bug testing and balancing based on feedback.

infectedlibrary.zip

Pretty fun map.  Only complaint is the eye switch to open the door to the beginning area again is a SR not a s1 door open stay, I had to hit press the switch 4 times cuz of the imp horde.  Also the soul sphere is a pain to get, I figured out how to get it, but the pixel perfect jump is too much for me.  I was able to make it one time out of like 40 attempts

V2!

[Naked and Screaming MAP09]

["Stengah" by Meshuggah]

[Vanilla Textures]

1k1k-MAP09-v2.zip

Tweaked some fights and geometry placement, fixed a lot of weird map breaking -cl2 issues, implemented difficulties, and added detailing. If anybody notices bugs or finds some parts unbalanced, please let me know. Also considering adding another fight because why not

1 hour ago, yourlocalchef said:

[Infected Library Map13]
[Jotun-Inflames]

infectedlibrary.zip

i really liked the map! but i found a problem with it. when playing on everything but gzdoom, it has a softlock on the archvile room, the door doesn't open. probably because of tagging issues that gzdoom ignores. otherwise i liked it.

Welp that is that my 1st entry of 2. i will be claiming MAP32 now, I have an idea on what i'm gonna do..
If anyone already here who hasn't claimed 2 maps wants to take 31 go ahead.
But here's MAP02, took some time figuring out wtf i was gonna do after i scrapped my first attempt but i got there in the end.
Let me know what i can fix and i'm sure you lot will lol
-----------------------------------
Map Name: The Imps Eulogy
Map No: 02
Song Used: X-ray Mirror by Voivod
Textures: Vanilla DM2
Download v2.1

Edited by Yop

20 minutes ago, Gothic Box said:

V2!

[Naked and Screaming MAP09]

["Stengah" by Meshuggah]

[Vanilla Textures]

1k1k-MAP09-v2.zip

Tweaked some fights and geometry placement, fixed a lot of weird map breaking -cl2 issues, implemented difficulties, and added detailing. If anybody notices bugs or finds some parts unbalanced, please let me know. Also considering adding another fight because why not

oh, i was confused when i played the first version. i was playing with cl2, now that it's all fixed and i say that's a really good map, it's fun to make the cyber demon turret kill things for you.

9 minutes ago, Yop said:

Welp that is that my 1st entry of 2. i will be claiming MAP32 now, I have an idea on what i'm gonna do..

The ending blue door linedef is facing the wrong way, and there's no way to actually exit the level. I liked the gameplay though, especially that last section.

1 hour ago, yourlocalchef said:

[Infected Library Map13]
[Jotun-Inflames]

infectedlibrary.zip

There is some problems in vanilla ports, mostly with silver door near the eye switch:

1. It uses Switch action, and in vanilla ports in MUST have a non-zero tag to work

2. Also in vanilla ports Walk actions can block Switch ones, so cuz its just in front of the door, you can't press the door line at all. Easy to fix tho, you can move the Walk action to the opposite side of the door, considering player can only open door from the eye switch side

There is also a baron that should lower after the leaving the eye switch room, but "In vanilla (unlike the boom), if monster hitbox is in the ceiling, sector won't move at all"

Also there is a secret in the second part of the library that have nothing?

Plus you can do some tinkering with texture alignments (if you want), don't be afraid of using lower/upper unpegged flags

14 minutes ago, Yop said:

If anyone already here who hasn't claimed 2 maps wants to take 31 go ahead.
But here's MAP02, took some time figuring out wtf i was gonna do after i scrapped my first attempt but i got there in the end.
Let me know what i can fix and i'm sure you lot will lol
Download v1

can i take the map31 then?

4 minutes ago, Higo Doragon said:

can i take the map31 then?

yes you can!

Right so i just wanna announce this right now if anyone is interested.

MAP33 slot is now opening as all slots are filled
so what Map33 is gonna be all about is batshit insanity.
the MAP33 candidates are to be the most nonsensical behemoths, shittiest texture usage, the music? countdown to death and make sure your map ends in with a teleporter.
why? well i'm gonna be stitching all candidates together to create a monster that will hold this accursed spot with a shining medal representing what the actual fuck did i just play :) 
I think it'll be a funny send off for those who dug a lil' too deep during their playthrough..

18 minutes ago, Yop said:

all slots are filled

Map 33 sounds interesting lol

I think that although a nice number of 20 maps has been attained. It seems a bit silly to place a cap on it here when you may still yet get a few further entries. Might as well leave it open to submissions, you never know, you may even have a whole megawad on your hands at the end.
And Xaser's point about the 32 map goal wasn't that you should place a lower number on the maps you want - his point was that you shouldn't have any number in mind at all, just let people submit maps and round them all up at the end. Whether it reaches a certain number isn't important. And besides, the more the merrier.

Edited by FletcherHonoroma
grammar

1 hour ago, Higo Doragon said:

here is the MAP11, a clean techbase and greenhouse, it's full of lush.

it has custom textures, i packed them with the map and music.

slot: MAP11
name: Rocket Gardens
song : "la creation du mondy" by "Stewboy"
texture credits:
    "sgt_mark_IV"
    "jimmy"
    "msx"
    "doomer board projects"

A very unique kind of fights i would say, not in a bad way tho

Biggest problem here imo, are the teleports. Let me explain. I facerocketed the hell out of myself on this map, at first with the barons, that spawn immediately after you shoot, then, in the upper fight I defeated the left side of rev and archie, saw that no one spawning further, and moved to their corner, to fight with the revs that were coming from behind, just to facerocket myself from the "second wave" with new archvlie lmao. So idk, even through I liked the map, Im not sure how others would look at the stuff like this. Maybe make some kind of identification that dudes will spawn (like with opening windows in the beginning of the second fight), or move teleports in the spots where player wouldn't really shoot, so the likelihood of "facerocket from unknown" will be lower?

But my inner "rocket launcher based fights where position matters cuz of splash damage" fan approves this map 100%

I have made it open submission, even though the goal was reached lets see if it can climb even higher.

22 minutes ago, Yop said:

the MAP33 candidates are to be the most nonsensical behemoths, shittiest texture usage, the music? countdown to death

shitpost map, lets go!

2 minutes ago, Yop said:

I have made it open submission

I would like to take 25th slot, if map 33 doesn't already count as second claim

1 minute ago, SG. said:

shitpost map, lets go!

I would like to take 25th slot, if map 33 doesn't already count as second claim

Nah map33 is there for anyone and everyone to take a shot at making raw chaos.
So go ahead Map25 is yours!

12 minutes ago, SG. said:

Maybe make some kind of identification that dudes will spawn (like with opening windows in the beginning of the second fight), or move teleports in the spots where player wouldn't really shoot, so the likelihood of "facerocket from unknown" will be lower?

ooh yeah i see what you mean heh. i will work on these unfair teleports! i was worried about it being a little too quick and unexpected.

58 minutes ago, Yop said:

yes you can!

Right so i just wanna announce this right now if anyone is interested.

MAP33 slot is now opening as all slots are filled
the MAP33 candidates are to be the most nonsensical behemoths, shittiest texture usage, the music? countdown to death and make sure your map ends in with a teleporter.
why? well i'm gonna be stitching all candidates together to create a monster that will hold this accursed spot with a shining medal representing what the actual fuck did i just play :) 
I think it'll be a funny send off for those who dug a lil' too deep during their playthrough..

Does each segment need to be 1000x1000 still?

@Yop

Also, i just though about one thing, because MAP33 will be a compilation from a few different people, maybe it will be more manageable to give each new person who goes for map33 a specific set of tags? Like 1-20 for the first one, 21-40 for second and etc.?

17 minutes ago, Yop said:

I have made it open submission, even though the goal was reached lets see if it can climb even higher.

Don't you dare give me an excuse to submit more, possibly ludicrous maps (you just gave me an excuse.) Now to wring out more creative juices...

2 hours ago, yourlocalchef said:

[Infected Library Map13]
[Jotun-Inflames]

infectedlibrary.zip

Fun 10x10-inspired map with a nice midi choice, gives me a rather oldschool vibe as well. Very fond of that soulsphere secret, usually mappers make platforming way too hard. I do feel that the RL is somewhat redundant (facerocketing) but I'm unsure as to how you'd remedy that. Also these bars have that texture bleed issue: 

Spoiler

infectedlibrary.png.17122e2cf18f65861018f8f8f3183b01.png

@FletcherHonoroma Stopppp you're making me blush 

In all seriousness, I'm glad you like it so much, I wasn't expecting much praise. The inspiration for MAP09 was actually Nirvana's Haste maps, particularly the yellow key island from The Green Mind. I also like Ribbiks maps way, way too much even though I haven't played most of them

Just now, SG. said:

@Yop

Also, i just though about one thing, because MAP33 will be a compilation from a few different people, maybe it will be more manageable to give each new person who goes for map33 a specific set of tags? Like 1-20 for the first one, 21-40 for second and etc.?

good idea, i'll write that down somewhere.

5 minutes ago, Raith138 said:

Does each segment need to be 1000x1000 still?

Of course.

3 minutes ago, Gothic Box said:

@FletcherHonoroma Stopppp you're making me blush 

In all seriousness, I'm glad you like it so much, I wasn't expecting much praise. The inspiration for MAP09 was actually Nirvana's Haste maps, particularly the yellow key island from The Green Mind. I also like Ribbiks maps way, way too much even though I haven't played most of them

Lol it's a really brilliant little map, I can't say enough good things about it. You ought to be very proud of it. It's only a shame that it's your only contribution to the wad, but perhaps that's for the best, lest you embarrass the rest of us. I'm vaguely familiar with Nirvana's work, but Haste is one that I must have missed. I'll have to check it out when I've got time.

If there are open submissions, can people do more then 2? Or do you want to leave it like that so you don't have like 200 levels at the end lol.

Sign me up for map 33...

I will use 10-20 for tags.

Edited by Raith138

6 hours ago, Yop said:

Download v1.1

Just gave it a few quick runs. I feel the easy difficulty is right for map 02. The end fight is the best part, but there is one major problem with it, it's 100% skipable, the exit switch reveals way to easy and fast and you can exit without the need to fight what is the best encounter of the map. In fact, you can also skip everything that happens after collecting the blue key, which i tested and did with no problem.

Spoiler

m4ck3eS.png

And i probably would have beaten it in under 30 second, but i made a mistake - i picked up the blue key, before the soulsphere, and that slowed me down, if i had the soulsphere first, i would exit the blue key and the archvile rooms before they could spawn and react to my presence. If you're using lowering floors to block the monsters inside the closets, you can set them at 25 units high, just enough to block them, but also low enough to release them instantly once the player triggers the trap.

Also there are a lot of enemies that are placed, or spawn right behind the door frames, and that makes them very ineffective, because you have perfect cover and you can just mow them down one by one, while they're hitting each other. That's why the last fight is way better, because it's open, and more importantly, you have some elevation going on there, you have monsters spawning on both sides, and you have ledges on the sides with more monsters on them. If you can do something similar throughout the whole map, it will be perfect. My suggestion is to get rid of all doors (or at least remove the narrow ones), and keep only the blue key door. You can keep the door frames for variety in the architecture, but you can also make them wider, and maybe put one pillar for cover when fighting the archvile,  but i think the encounters should be as open as possible.
 Oher than that, the rest is really good, i like the windows casting light inside. The map has a classic feel to it, which i like. If you block the player from escaping that last fight, you will already have a big improvement.

Edited by Tangra666

Here is my submission, hope you all would like it.

[MAP NAME AND NUM] - MAP03 - Red House with Demons Inside (sorry, everyone, but I couldn't think of a proper title.)
[SONG USED] - Red Shift by James Paddock
[CUSTOM TEXTURES] - Nope

Tested in the newest version of PrBoom+

Also, some screenshots (made in No-Monsters mode).

Spoiler

map03_2.jpg.f6eff995d452d27f41930f7dee9801ad.jpgmap03_3.jpg.fa04ec699d5b99dfb12c5da225c3a53f.jpgmap03_1.jpg.76439f696c2c78c13ce123cddbe7acda.jpg

Red House with Demons Inside v1.01.rar

Edited by EagerBeaver