1k1k - A COMPACT Doom 2 Community Project [RELEASED]

4 hours ago, DankMetal said:

Thanks for playing already! Yeah i was struggling trying to make the red bars open simultaneously, so this is useful information.

I played it too, it's good. It just needs a little bit of polish. If you check the bottom textures on of the doors, and door frames, you left the default wood ceiling texture on them. Also, i think it will be a bit more challenging if you make the blue door to remain open after you unlock it the first time... actually, if you do this for all doors it will be better in my opinion. As it is right now, the blue door block the first and final encounter that happens there. But overall this is a very fine map, and like most of the submissions so far, it offers something unique to the mix.

If anyone could do me a favor and go back through my updated submissions and make sure they work in other ports now so I can fix things up that’d be appreciated. They work in GZdoom. I plan to record more of the maps but a lot of them kicked my ass

Edited by yourlocalchef

1 hour ago, yourlocalchef said:

If anyone could do me a favor and go back through my updated submissions and make sure they work in other ports now so I can fix things up that’d be appreciated. They work in GZdoom. I plan to record more of the maps but a lot of them kicked my ass

MAP13 works perfectly in vanilla, and overall became a really nice map after an updates

MAP12 on other hand have some problems with lifts. Once you go into the lower part of the map, where then ceiling raises, reviling the revs on flesh pillars, you pretty much softlocked. The left lift uses unknown action, so it never lowers, and the right one is just facing the wrong direction (in vanilla in order to make the wall "useable" you need to press "use" on front side of the linedef). Also with quick look at udb, I would say, it should be the only problem present in the map, but I am yet to complete the map fully

Edited by SG.

18 minutes ago, SG. said:

MAP13 works perfectly in vanilla, and overall became a really nice map after an updates

MAP12 on other hand have some problems with lifts. Once you go into the lower part of the map, where then ceiling raises, reviling the revs on flesh pillars, you pretty much softlocked. The left lift uses unknown action, so it never lowers, and the right one is just facing the wrong direction (in vanilla in order to make the wall "useable" you need to press "use" on front side of the linedef). Also with quick look at udb, I would say, it should be the only problem present in the map, but I am yet to complete the map fully

Amazing thank you for doing that. Ill fix it later today.

Can I reserve 26 before it is gone?

Still working on my egypt map.

Btw, do custom textures count flats, walls and custom skyboxes?

Edited by Raith138

29 minutes ago, dac said:

Pretty generous with health.

The first fight is really annoying because you only have the rocket launcher so if you get stuck in a group of enemies you are dead (which happens almost everytime)

Adding a super shotgun and taking some health would be good.

Spoiler

Those 4 archviles are really mean.

38 minutes ago, dac said:

Loved it, really intense, and rewarding. I like the visuals too, very unique.

@Treehouseminis  , thanks for the new link, but it asks for permission from the uploader, so i still can't download it. I'll download the map tomorrow from work, from there i have no issues with dropbox.

11 minutes ago, Tangra666 said:

Loved it, really intense, and rewarding. I like the visuals too, very unique.

@Treehouseminis  , thanks for the new link, but it asks for permission from the uploader, so i still can't download it. I'll download the map tomorrow from work, from there i have no issues with dropbox.

I thought I changed the general access.  I did get an email notification which I assume was from you.  I let that one through and I just edited it again to allow access, I hope anyway. 

15 minutes ago, Treehouseminis said:

I thought I changed the general access.  I did get an email notification which I assume was from you.  I let that one through and I just edited it again to allow access, I hope anyway. 

It's fine now, and thank you. Another very unique and creative map, and i like pretty much everything about it, from the combat to the visuals. The music really adds to the experience.

I'm getting more and more excited about this CP, can't wait to see it whole. It will be great to play the whole thing in one sitting.

35 minutes ago, Raith138 said:

@Yop

This will probably be done by the end of the year.

This is getting insane amounts of attention.

At this pace it should be before the end of the year for sure. Would be nice to get it finished in like a month.

21 minutes ago, yourlocalchef said:

At this pace it should be before the end of the year for sure. Would be nice to get it finished in like a month.

Yeah, I can easily see that. It's nice to see the enthusiasm this community project has generated. These bite-sized maps are a nice gateway into mapping - they can easily be done in a few hours and demand that the mapper never gets carried away or stuck for ideas.

At this point im pretty confident I'll be able to finish a second map for this project without issue so I'd like to claim the map30 slot as well.

Ive got a midi I want to use and a concept for the world's most dangerous night club.

35 minutes ago, ABearInThaWoods said:

At this point im pretty confident I'll be able to finish a second map for this project without issue so I'd like to claim the map30 slot as well.

Ive got a midi I want to use and a concept for the world's most dangerous night club.

Map30 is yours

2 hours ago, Raith138 said:

All yours.

Yes they do, except custom skyboxes :)

37 minutes ago, ABearInThaWoods said:

Map30 is yours

2 hours ago, Raith138 said:

All yours.

Yes they do, except custom skyboxes :)

2 hours ago, Tangra666 said:

It's fine now, and thank you. Another very unique and creative map, and i like pretty much everything about it, from the combat to the visuals. The music really adds to the experience.

I'm getting more and more excited about this CP, can't wait to see it whole. It will be great to play the whole thing in one sitting.

Thanks!  Yeah I feel the same, I almost wanna make a 2nd map but I just wanted to take a small break from a personal project that's almost done lol

I present:

Trial of the Pharoah (slot 21)

This map is meant to be very hard and is kind of tight on ammo so I will give the strategies in the box below (only read if you are struggling)

Spoiler

Fight 1: Survive, try to save on rockets if you can. Also, get rid of the pain elemental first.

Fight 2: It is the easiest fight. Kill the pinkies and then take down the hell knights with rockets and the chaingun.

Fight 3: Jump off the platform and go next to the block in the middle to block the revs and take out the chaingunners, after that take out the revs with rockets.

Fight 4: Plasma the archvile and then plasma and rocket the barons.

Fight 5: Jump off the platform and hide underneath where the shotgunners spawn, wait to let them spawn and then throw a couple of rockets at them.

Fight 6: Kill the archvile with plasma and then just keep on firing at where the other enemies spawn until you kill everything.

Good luck doing this without saves. 

Can someone tell me how to stop players from pressing the switches through the blockades?

Good luck!

Trial.zip

31 minutes ago, Raith138 said:

I present:

Trial of the Pharoah (slot 21)

This map is meant to be very hard and is kind of tight on ammo so I will give the strategies in the box below (only read if you are struggling)

Reveal hidden contents

Fight 1: Survive, try to save on rockets if you can. Also, get rid of the pain elemental first.

Fight 2: It is the easiest fight. Kill the pinkies and then take down the hell knights with rockets and the chaingun.

Fight 3: Jump off the platform and go next to the block in the middle to block the revs and take out the chaingunners, after that take out the revs with rockets.

Fight 4: Plasma the archvile and then plasma and rocket the barons.

Fight 5: Jump off the platform and hide underneath where the shotgunners spawn, wait to let them spawn and then throw a couple of rockets at them.

Fight 6: Kill the archvile with plasma and then just keep on firing at where the other enemies spawn until you kill everything.

Good luck doing this without saves. 

Can someone tell me how to stop players from pressing the switches through the blockades?

Good luck!

Trial.zip

Good map overall, although some changes are needed:

1. Rebuild the teleport closets cuz this:

Spoiler

image.png.49ce31f7ba6c65ba996be887c57b3bff.png

2. I would change baron wave to hellknight wave, cuz it doesn't change the difficulty of the map, but makes it a bit quicker (in exchange you may give player a bit less ammo)

3. Dunno if it because of first problem, or not, but imo, last caco wave should have something else to it. All cacos spawn in one spot so if you spam remaining plasma at them you just win by standing still pretty much. Throw some teleporting guys in the opposite side of a room

4. Speaking of the "teleporting guys", shotgunner teleport is super slow, i spend like a minute waiting for last 3 or 4 dudes to spawn

I would recommend you to check how teleport closets are done in my map33, cuz the structure they have is a bit more consistent for monster teleportation and less wacky with big amount of enemies

Edited by SG.

I may not be able to map for 2 weeks so I hope I don't stall anything.

I don't know what is happening in that picture.

Edited by Raith138

7 minutes ago, SG. said:

3. Dunno if it because of first problem, or not, but imo, last caco wave should have something else to it. All cacos spawn in one spot so if you spam remaining plasma at them you just win by standing still pretty much. Throw some teleporting guys in the opposite side of a room

I was thinking of doing that.

I was trying to get a cyberdemon in but the middle platform made it stuck for some reason.

1 minute ago, Raith138 said:

I don't know what is happening in that picture

Basically, form time to time, with teleport closets build like this, enemy can block the other one from reaching teleport line, and those two (or even more) may stuck like this forever. Its a random occurrence of two enemies reaching the teleport linedef, where only one will teleport

Yeah, it's actually not that hard. It is fun though, and with the improvements suggested by @SG. it will be even better. In the first fight, you can just run in circles close to the walls and the monsters kill each other. The ammo needs to be reduced, not to a point where there's barely enough, but to a point where the player should consider saving rockets and plasma and using the chaingun ad the SSG to deal with the less threatening foes. The placement of the berserk pack makes little sense. You will not get it before all the pinkies spawn, which is the only fight the berserk is useful for. One of the megaspheres should be removed.

As for the players being able to hit switches through the blockades. Make the blockades bigger, so the switch is buried deeper into the wall. I'm not sure how deep it has to be, but i think 32 units should be enough, and not just in front of the switch, but diagonally too.

And last but not least... this is up to you, but you should consider changing the midi. If this map is going to be on slot 26, we'll have two levels with the same theme and the same midi in the span of 6 maps.

Edited by Tangra666

3 minutes ago, Raith138 said:

cyberdemon in but the middle platform made it stuck for some reason

Hmm, weird. My only guess on how to fix it is join the secret sector with the rest of the "scull platform". Or just make it a bit bigger

Idk really

3 minutes ago, Tangra666 said:

Yeah, it's actually not that hard. It is fun though, and with the improvements suggested by @SG. it will be even better. In the first fight, you can just run in circles close to the walls and the monsters kill each other. The ammo needs to be reduced, not to a point when there's barely enough, but to a point where the player should consider saving rockets and plasma and using the chaingun ad the SSG to deal with the less threatening foes. The placement of the berserk pack makes little sense. You will not get it before all the pinkies spawn, which is the only fight the berserk is useful for. One of the megaspheres should be removed.

As for the players being able to hit switches through the blockades. Make the blockades bigger, so the switch is buried deeper into the wall. I'm not sure how deep it has to be, but i 32 units should be enough, and not just in front of the switch, but diagonally too.

And last but not least... this is up to you, but you should consider changing the midi. If this map is going to be on slot 26, we'll have two levels with the same theme and the same midi in the span of 6 maps.

Ye I agree, some good points right here

4 minutes ago, Tangra666 said:

Yeah, it's actually not that hard. It is fun though, and with the improvements suggested by @SG. it will be even better. In the first fight, you can just run in circles close to the walls and the monsters kill each other. The ammo needs to be reduced, not to a point where there's barely enough, but to a point where the player should consider saving rockets and plasma and using the chaingun ad the SSG to deal with the less threatening foes. The placement of the berserk pack makes little sense. You will not get it before all the pinkies spawn, which is the only fight the berserk is useful for. One of the megaspheres should be removed.

As for the players being able to hit switches through the blockades. Make the blockades bigger, so the switch is buried deeper into the wall. I'm not sure how deep it has to be, but i 32 units should be enough, and not just in front of the switch, but diagonally too.

Some really good points.

The berserk is not meant to be used in combat it is there for the restore health property.

I don't understand how those teleport closets work @SG. it makes no sense why the ones in the back wont take minutes to teleport in.