1k1k - A COMPACT Doom 2 Community Project [RELEASED]

13 minutes ago, Tangra666 said:

I'm ready to share the new submission. It's in early playtesting phase, and so i've only done tests with GZDoom, and LZDoom, which is usually what i play with. If someone is running these maps with Crispy or DSDA, please let me know if there are any issues with them. You'll spare me a lot of trouble, as i don't enjoy playing with these ports, even less if it's for mandatory playtesting.

Map 21: The Scales of Anubis

MIDI: King Diamond - Voodoo

Textures: It uses the 32in24 15 v2 texture pack.

Download: https://www.mediafire.com/file/em24x5to3yf3fs7/ScalesofAnubis.wad/file

The first and last fight of the map are pretty challenging, but there are working strategies. I'm not going to spoil them just yet to see how you'll aproach the fights. Also both of my maps have difficulty levels implemented, with small difference in the number of enemies.

Amazing map, the only critique is that the final fight feels like it requires the soulsphere secret so maybe a few medkits would be nice.

2 minutes ago, Raith138 said:

Amazing map, the only critique is that the final fight feels like it requires the soulsphere secret so maybe a few medkits would be nice.

Yes, it requires the soulsphere, and you better take it, before you trigger the fight, because it will be too late after that. :D I didn't make it hard to get, it's a straight run from the platform.

1 minute ago, Tangra666 said:

Yes, it requires the soulsphere, and you better take it, before you trigger the fight, because it will be too late after that. :D I didn't make it hard to get, it's a straight run from the platform.

Why is it labelled a secret then?

15 minutes ago, Tangra666 said:

I'm ready to share the new submission. It's in early playtesting phase, and so i've only done tests with GZDoom, and LZDoom, which is usually what i play with. If someone is running these maps with Crispy or DSDA, please let me know if there are any issues with them. You'll spare me a lot of trouble, as i don't enjoy playing with these ports, even less if it's for mandatory playtesting.

Download: https://www.mediafire.com/file/em24x5to3yf3fs7/ScalesofAnubis.wad/file

The first and last fight of the map are pretty challenging, but there are working strategies. I'm not going to spoil them just yet to see how you'll aproach the fights. Also both of my maps have difficulty levels implemented, with small difference in the number of enemies.

Btw, in terms of the map itself. I really liked it, and see an egypt theme was a nice surprise.

The only one nitpick, I will make is about a metal lift, that leads to the ssg. Because the sector is pretty dark, and lift is in a distant corner, I had to explore a bit to find it. Not really a problem, but making it a bit more noticeable would be nice imo

6 minutes ago, Raith138 said:

@Yop

If it is open submissions can I do another?

Sure,
I have removed the limit on how many maps a person can do. :)

I will also be doing a round up of sorts to see where people are at on the 30th of august.

Edited by Yop

I am gonna take a go at an egypt map.

I will be using Scales of Anubis as a resource so they will share the same song. It can be changed though.

9 minutes ago, Raith138 said:

I think it uses more then 10 custom textures :/

Oh man, that was a rule? I will have to count them now :D. I think i can bring them to 10 without changing the look of the map too much, but these cool hieroglyphs texture will get all the same and repeated. I will have to beg @Yop to reconsider this rule, and increase the number of textures.

Edited by Tangra666

1 minute ago, Tangra666 said:

Oh man, that was a rule? I will have to count them now :D

image.png.07bf6b0390bcf619e0186a4e42d33405.png
Tiny Text 

1 minute ago, Yop said:

image.png.07bf6b0390bcf619e0186a4e42d33405.png
Tiny Text 

Yeah, i remember reading it, when i first opened this thread... i just forgot. :D

4 hours ago, Treehouseminis said:

Ok it should be good in case I missed anything.  I tried to make it non cheesable/breakable.

Map 18 "Aortic Ascension"

music: "Inhabitants" - AD_79

stock textures

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/w1lzror55w10hcnp6c0wv/MAP18V2-1k1k-AorticAscension.wad?rlkey=b2509vjt7rky86yrcmws2kin7&dl=0

Hmp is slightly reduced UV, HNTR adds a few more resources on top of HMP

edit: replaced link with V2

Forgot to mention that the part with the marble archvile face cube (3rd pillar) has a misaligned side (the side with the switch)

MAP33

Before sharing this magnificent peace of art, I shall inform you, that, even if you dont like it, this portion of the 33rd map will work properly only in vanilla ports with right complevel. Why you may ask? Even through it may be a rude way to answer, I still will ask you a little question. Have you ever heard of all ghost effect?

Yes, the main gimmick of the map is the special sector in the center, and if yours or an enemy tracer will go through it, it will consistently cause this glitch to happen.

And that's all? Of course not, my friend! There is a bunch of blur spheres in most of the map spots, so hitscan enemies will choose their attack line pretty much just randomly

There is also some others annoying great gameplay decisions, but I'll let you discover them yourself

Also fights are 100% beatable, but I won't go for saveless run this time (for obvious reasons)

Link (abandon all hopes, ye who enter here) [tags 41-60]

Edited by SG.

Right o MAP32 done and done. Tried to make it worthy of the 32 slot, with a difficulty hike and a nice lil' "gimmick" i guess you could call it.
Any issues lmk i'm sure you will

Map Name: Red Zest
MAPNo: 32
MIDI: Coal - James Paddock for BTSX 
TEXTURES: Vanilla DM2
Download v2

Onto MAP33 ooooooh boyyy...

Edited by Yop

All the maps submitted so far have been really great, everybody should be pleased with their work. There's still a couple that I haven't gotten around to giving feedback to yet, I'll hopefully do those soon, but people are submitting maps at a faster rate than I can play them lol

It's nice to see those slots filling up as well, I reckon you'll make the big 32 before you know it, @Yop.

Also, @Gothic Box, I had wanted to ask whether you'd be interested in collaborating on a map together. I'd completely understand if you're not interested, however, and won't take any offence if you decline.

6 minutes ago, Yop said:

Right o MAP32 done and done. Tried to make it worthy of the 32 slot, with a difficulty hike and a nice lil' "gimmick" i guess you could call it.
Any issues lmk i'm sure you will

Map Name: Red Zest
MAPNo: 32
MIDI: Coal - James Paddock for BTSX 
TEXTURES: Vanilla DM2
Download v1

Onto MAP33 ooooooh boyyy...

1. I would rebuild a bit the teleport closets, cuz this thing can happen:

Spoiler

image.png.2d3e06449778ed7ceb2ac9c4ccade6da.png

2. Didnt really understood the cybers idea, cuz you can telefrag them just straight away, and get the stuff?

Right then!
With me starting The Clusterfuck that will be map33. 
I feel like a name needs to be decided for the masterpiece.
So gimme your best names for map33..

40 minutes ago, Raith138 said:

Forgot to mention that the part with the marble archvile face cube (3rd pillar) has a misaligned side (the side with the switch)

Actually the whole cube was miss aligned somehow lol.  Fixed that.  Added some metallic textures to the lifts to make it more obvious, looks cooler now imo so good mentioning that.  Also added some white marble textures to the first steep stairs to make them pop more.  Will update my OP comment as well.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/ah3mig2xcqo50ffhhk9qy/MAP18V3-1k1k-AorticAscension.wad?rlkey=f6vlxq392dgyha18kt9hv1kmb&dl=0

14 minutes ago, SG. said:

1. I would rebuild a bit the teleport closets, cuz this thing can happen:

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.2d3e06449778ed7ceb2ac9c4ccade6da.png

2. Didnt really understood the cybers idea, cuz you can telefrag them just straight away, and get the stuff?

Changed some stuff so it all functions and altered the cybers teleporters

1 hour ago, FletcherHonoroma said:

Also, @Gothic Box, I had wanted to ask whether you'd be interested in collaborating on a map together. I'd completely understand if you're not interested, however, and won't take any offence if you decline.

I'm down!

1 minute ago, Raith138 said:

Idk how that will work with how small it is.

Surely there's a way to make it work. When making MAP09 I wanted to find to a way to recombine the existing space similar to dobu gabu maru's Saturnine Chapel but that idea never really came to fruition.

1 hour ago, Yop said:

Right then!
With me starting The Clusterfuck that will be map33. 
I feel like a name needs to be decided for the masterpiece.
So gimme your best names for map33..

Rather then Grosse call it Gross

HERE COMES A NEW CHALLENGER!

There's still a bit of work to do here, mostly implementing difficulty settings and properly balancing the ammo, and god know this map needs both of those because my playtesting is not ideal. Hopefully the map isn't too hard or slaughtery. It's probably too hard.

MAP NAME : "Starless" (MAP01 in this wad, will be MAP20 in the final compilation. )

MUSIC : "Strawberry Crisis!!" by ZUN

CUSTOM TEXTURES : MIDFENC1, MIDFENC2, GRAY_N39, ALLBLACK, ALLBLAKF. All of these from the 32in24tex pack.

DOWNLOAD : Right here!

Just now, Raith138 said:

Rather then Grosse call it Gross

Lmao I actually really like that.

13 minutes ago, Gothic Box said:

I'm down!

Nice! I'm looking forward to it! Shall we discuss the design, etc. through messages?
I suppose we had ought to reserve a slot too, I'll let you decide which remaining slot to take.

7 minutes ago, dac said:

There's still a bit of work to do here, mostly implementing difficulty settings and properly balancing the ammo, and god know this map needs both of those because my playtesting is not ideal. Hopefully the map isn't too hard or slaughtery. It's probably too hard.

MAP NAME : "Starless" (MAP01 in this wad, will be MAP20 in the final compilation. )

CUSTOM TEXTURES : MIDFENC1, MIDFENC2, GRAY_N39, ALLBLACK, ALLBLAKF. All of these from the 32in24tex pack.

You didn't save the texture pack into the wad so the walls have no texture :/

May want to do that.

10 minutes ago, dac said:

mmmm short and punchy arena fights

20 minutes ago, dac said:

Really nice action-packed little map! 4 archviles were a bit shocking, but considering the map length, personally, I don't really see it as a problem or as unbalanced stuff

Spoiler

Also a PC-98 track? Didn't expect to see a man of culture :)

Here's the new map with only 10 custom textures. It works fine in GZ/LZDoom, and it runs in Crispy too, i haven't tried DSDA yet, but i will right now. I also made the elevator visible by placing a torch behind the corner and increased the brightness of the sector.

I still have a problem though, and i need the help of someone who understand better how to transfer only the desired textures from a pack. I used to just copy everything and then use Slade's maintenance options to clear unused flats, textures and lumps. But i got a feeling the damn thing doesn't work properly, or i'm not doing it right, because it always leaves a ton of textures that are not used in my maps. So this time i've removed the unused textures and flats by hand, and the map works, but i'm getting a bunch of errors in the console when booting the game. If someone can take a look in GZDoom (maybe even in Slade), and tell me what i'm doing wrong and how to solve these errors, i'll be very grateful. Thanks.

Download: 

EDIT: Yup, doesn't boot in DSDA due these same error. Back to the drawing board. :D

Edited by Tangra666