The Doom Master Wadazine #21 - Feat. Roofi, Biodegradable, the Wadawards 2022, Why E4M1 is the Best Doom Level, and more!

Endless

Yay ! Glad to have been part of this one ! 3 Years of writing and 1 year of design work now ... this one is laaaaaarge, please enjoy everyone :D

Also remind me to keep archives of my files :)

I was very fortunate to have @Steppskie, @Twilightsoul1, and Zoyahu helping me out with this one! We all kinda get involved in each other's projects in the Doom 64 community as modders, so it was important to have the perspective of the player's side. And their prolific Doom 64 mod playing really made the three articles for Doom 64 projects possible!

Woohoo! The WADazine is back, baybeee! Get it fresh and red-hot off the demonic printing press and into your seeing balls! I'm really stoked to be a little part of this new issue of my favourite zine in the world. Big thanks to @Clippy, @Dark Pulse, @Ludi, @Dragonfly, @Major Arlene, @Bridgeburner56 and @DuckReconMajor for all their help workshopping and proof-reading my essay.

Thanks for the KDiKDiZD writeup!

Though I can't help but notice something seems amiss with the headline:

image.png

(I did not create Knee-Deep in ZDoom)

In Roofi interview

"More than twice the amount of the second-place finisher"

Because he reviews literally everything put out in front of him that he doesn't die in. I tried that for a bit but ancient utility programs and generic deathmatch maps I find to be better off ignored :P)

Edited by LadyMistDragon

8 minutes ago, esselfortium said:

Thanks for the KDiKDiZD writeup!

Though I can't help but notice something seems amiss with the headline:

image.png

(I did not create Knee-Deep in ZDoom)

Oof! Little mistake there, I probably confused the logo:

Knee-Deep_in_Knee-Deep_in_ZDoom.png

You must admit they can be a little confusing haha.

29 minutes ago, Endless said:

You must admit they can be a little confusing haha.

I await the third wad in the series where KDiKDiZD is remade in GZDoom with modern GZDoom features, KDiKDiZDiGZD, with the logo in alternating green and orange letters

Anyway, had a look through this, and the E4M1 section caught my interest. No proper mention of the NiN secret that only exists to punish you? :p Definitely agree on a lot of points though, Hell Beneath has been the reason I always dread an E4 run when I replay the original game. Also for Plutonia 2, I believe its the one of first mapsets to utilise Map 33, going by development stuff I read about the discovery of Map 33 and how it works.

Edited by Devalaous

1 hour ago, Devalaous said:

I await the third wad in the series where KDiKDiZD is remade in GZDoom with modern GZDoom features, KDiKDiZDiGZD, with the logo in alternating green and orange letters

Anyway, had a look through this, and the E4M1 section caught my interest. No proper mention of the NiN secret that only exists to punish you? :p Definitely agree on a lot of points though, Hell Beneath has been the reason I always dread an E4 run when I replay the original game. Also for Plutonia 2, I believe its the one of first mapsets to utilise Map 33, going by development stuff I read about the discovery of Map 33 and how it works.

I thought of keeping the secret secret but yeah, should have mentioned it tho :P

I'm so happy to see that new wadazine issue is out already, it was worth the wait!

Also thank you for reviewing and giving some attention to Caffeine Injection set. Didn't see that coming, I hope I'll release more projects in upcoming future. 

50 minutes ago, Maximum Matt said:

E4M1?? Aw hell no

Feel free to write a counter-article explaining why it's the worst Doom map then :-P

2 hours ago, TheEvilGrin said:

Feel free to write a counter-article explaining why it's the worst Doom map then :-P

That would be something I'd be interested in reading :)

17 minutes ago, Yugiboy85 said:

Cool writups. 

However, plutonia 2 in 2018? It came out in 2008 iirc

I'm going to excuse all the errors by calling them typos, most likely lol but you are indeed correct!

2 hours ago, Endless said:

I'm going to excuse all the errors by calling them typos, most likely lol but you are indeed correct!

The greatest of all internet skills... is to read through typos as if they never existed. 
That would more than half the amount of comments posted on these internets. 

Thanks to everyone that has read us and support us! It's been amazing. Now, we are opening the submission window for issue #22
- Deadline: November 10.

We plan (and hope) to at least release one more issue before the year ends, around Doom's birthday. So, if you are wondering how to contribute to the Wadazine, join the Discord channel and read the submission guidelines. Makes it a lot easier to organize and receive write ups that way ;)

We welcome anything Doom related, and also Doom engine adjacent, like Heretic articles, so don't feel afraid to tackle the waters of the Wadazine. I'm pretty lenient as an editor :P

17 hours ago, Endless said:

I thought of keeping the secret secret but yeah, should have mentioned it tho :P

Its such an iconic secret and map, the exact room is referenced in Alien Vendetta's Stench of Evil, with the NIN logo replaced with E4M1 :p

6 hours ago, Yugiboy85 said:

Cool writups. 

However, plutonia 2 in 2018? It came out in 2008 iirc

Oops, my mistake. Plus I've played it multiple times

Congrats on releasing this new issue !

So far, I've only read Biodegradable's take on playtesting, the Roofi interview and your E4M1 apology. The latter reminded me of Coincident's retentless UV Max attempts on that map that I had watched a couple weeks ago, and yeah this map is indeed a banger, easily top 3 material in Thy Flesh Consumed along with E4M6 and E4M2. Wouldn't call it the best Doom level (it's obviously E1M5), but despite all the pain it causes, E4M1 is definitely fun to blast through and a very strong opener for E4.

On 8/24/2023 at 6:03 PM, Endless said:

If you do decide to fix these errors in an updated release, here's some other ones I've noticed along the way :

- Roofi interview, page 17 : "ubt" instead of "but"
- Roofi interview, page 16 : the legendary mapper Roofi alludes to is "Iikka" Keränen, not "Likka"
- Pictures gallery, page 87 : netcurse2000's screenshot is actually taken from a Tarnsman map