i made my first doom WAD !!

That looka a lot better.

Tip: For outside areas I find a great way to spice them up is to add hills with ashwall4 or something like that, also, making the area not just a square also makes it look better.

I also noticed taking a closer look that none of the exit switches are marked. It is common practice to do so because it makes player's lives easier.

Happy mapping!

Edited by Raith138

5 minutes ago, Raith138 said:

That looka a lot better.

Tip: For outside areas I find a great way to spice them up is to add hills with ashwall4 or something like that, also, making the area not just a square also makes it look better.

I also noticed taking a closer look that none of the exit switches are marked. It is common practice to do so because it makes player's lives easier.

Happy mapping!

thanks !

Hello there. Congrats for the release of your first wad. So, like everyone here, I played it. It was good. I accepted the ideas. But obviously, as you're a beginner, I saw many cons in these maps. 

First of all, the textures are almost the same each time. You have to add some elements in the rooms to avoid some repetitiveness (such as lightings, metals in the corners, change the floor texture when you low or up to a level floor etc... ). The second one is the greatest of the three because you tried to do something about that. 

To put in a nutshell, it's a good beginning. You know what they say : the more the merrier Every trip begins to a first little step. So you will perform your skills for creating maps and at the end, this will be fine or excellent. Don't give up ! ;)

1 hour ago, Proxy-MIDI said:

Hello there. Congrats for the release of your first wad. So, like everyone here, I played it. It was good. I accepted the ideas. But obviously, as you're a beginner, I saw many cons in these maps. 

First of all, the textures are almost the same each time. You have to add some elements in the rooms to avoid some repetitiveness (such as lightings, metals in the corners, change the floor texture when you low or up to a level floor etc... ). The second one is the greatest of the three because you tried to do something about that. 

To put in a nutshell, it's a good beginning. You know what they say : the more the merrier Every trip begins to a first little step. So you will perform your skills for creating maps and at the end, this will be fine or excellent. Don't give up ! ;)

thanks, i'm already working on a new map

• 2 weeks later...

I'm late to the party but I really liked the outside area in MAP02, the one with diferrent grass flats and pebble walkway.

On 8/25/2023 at 8:44 AM, kaimilus said:

should i make my maps better ? ?

OP, first of all, how old are you? I think you might be a teenager judging from your messages, which is no problem at all. Great for you for doing things you like and trying to create stuff. Second of all, how about learning mapping by watching someone map? There are many speedmapping sessions on youtube so  you can navigate better the editor and think of new ideas for levels. I would suggest you take a look at Dragonfly's channel or Doomkid, I've just discovered their videos recently, and it's been fun. Finally, I would tell you to build empty rooms first, so you can better familiarize yourself with the editor. Just try to build something pretty, simple and interesting, and then you can think about designing combat and other things. Don't think about extra textures, don't think about UDMF, just plain and simple Boom and Doom2 textures. Keep it up!

Edited by jo2ukegappy

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/11/2023 at 7:31 PM, jo2ukegappy said:

OP, first of all, how old are you? I think you might be a teenager judging from your messages, which is no problem at all. Great for you for doing things you like and trying to create stuff. Second of all, how about learning mapping by watching someone map? There are many speedmapping sessions on youtube so  you can navigate better the editor and think of new ideas for levels. I would suggest you take a look at Dragonfly's channel or Doomkid, I've just discovered their videos recently, and it's been fun. Finally, I would tell you to build empty rooms first, so you can better familiarize yourself with the editor. Just try to build something pretty, simple and interesting, and then you can think about designing combat and other things. Don't think about extra textures, don't think about UDMF, just plain and simple Boom and Doom2 textures. Keep it up!

i'm litteraly less than 14 lol *PEDOBEAR APPEARS*

This is a good start to mapping, well done on your first release.

Everyone makes maps like this in the beginning. My first released map was actually at least my tenth map I built, and it was far from anything good. I kept trying. Some people say I got better, some did not like my style at all. 

The single most important thing a new mapper can do, is giving themselves plenty of inspiration. If you play other custom maps, you will see features and design ideas you can learn from. Open other people's maps in the editor to see how they do things.

I have to add at the end of this.....take any criticism from this forum as a positive thing. Nobody here is making fun of you. Some posts might be a bit rude, but just shrug that off. The community has stayed alive this long because of people like you! Keep learning and trying....and have fun.

I enjoyed it. I always like small wads that are not entire series or large large maps to just find something new for a quick playthrough. 

It crashed on the third map for me but maybe I should try it in GZDoom and see if it runs level 3 so I can finish it.

PS I liked all the Imps in the first level!  

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2023 at 5:53 AM, LateToDOOM2020 said:

I enjoyed it. I always like small wads that are not entire series or large large maps to just find something new for a quick playthrough. 

It crashed on the third map for me but maybe I should try it in GZDoom and see if it runs level 3 so I can finish it.

PS I liked all the Imps in the first level!  

lol, thanks

On 8/26/2023 at 4:18 AM, kaimilus said:

you're the best, thank you

On 8/26/2023 at 5:59 AM, kaimilus said:

alright, today is the day i make a new wad ! i hope it'll be good

ay, just so you know, multiposting is typically discouraged on forums. if you need to quote two people then you can multiquote like this, and if you wanna add something then it's common practice to edit your last post rather than post again.

ofc, that only applies if someone has yet to post anything - if someone has made a new post on the thread then feel free to make a new post :p

On 10/11/2023 at 11:26 PM, roadworx said:

ay, just so you know, multiposting is typically discouraged on forums. if you need to quote two people then you can multiquote like this, and if you wanna add something then it's common practice to edit your last post rather than post again.

ofc, that only applies if someone has yet to post anything - if someone has made a new post on the thread then feel free to make a new post :p

uh ok

• 2 weeks later...

@kaimilus, are you planning to share more maps? I thought these were a pretty good start! When my friends and I were your age, our maps were not this good :)

I'm going to show this to my kids to see if I can drum up their interest...

Thank you, and keep it up!

3 hours ago, epg said:

@kaimilus, are you planning to share more maps? I thought these were a pretty good start! When my friends and I were your age, our maps were not this good :)

I'm going to show this to my kids to see if I can drum up their interest...

Thank you, and keep it up!

yes i am ! i'm trying to put effort in it, but it's taking a bit long, I was working on an “escape from prison” map but left it somewhere and couldn't find it, luckily a guy sent me a super long tutorial, but it really is useful, so yeah, you might see some more of my stuff !