Strange Behavior Of 3D Moving Platforms

K_Doom

Question

Maybe you've already seen this ChubzDoomer video tutorial, right?
cap.PNG.dda9037e36739d91de150a168b1895e4.PNG

So I wanted to do something different on my map and I decided to watch the video and copy all the logic. As it is an old video (12 years ago) it is natural that it does not work as well today, and now it is showing unexpected behavior.

The intention is to create a 3D floating platform that rises and falls at a given time. It is also possible to squash the player if they stand under it (if this is not included they simply dive into the ground and become trapped).

What actually happens is: the platform goes up and down, but the floor below it goes up together forming a column.       Screenshot_Doom_20230828_051633.png.56f86e026f7737eaff37caff086f92e7.png

It is not possible to stay under the platform, so the second logic (kill the crushed player) does not work either, but if he stays under the other standard 3D platform (in the red square) and the moving platform falls, he dies, bizarre.
                                                           cap2.PNG.389a2bf7ca8954e0fae76914b9085284.PNG 

So even though I used pretty much the same code as in the tutorial, things didn't quite turn out as expected. Here is the code:

untitled.png.237d1414b2dfb27b327cceddcfe3d946.png

Finally, I would appreciate any help to get this working properly.

Edited by K_Doom

2 answers to this question

The floor and ceilings move independently from each other, even if their movement was started at the same time. That means if either of them is blocked, the other keeps moving. To prevent that you have to link them using Sector_SetLink.

I made an example of a crushing 3D floor earlier this year, check it out: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/268877527961960450/1072947012930121808/crushing_3d_floor.wad. It's not 100% acting like a Doom crusher, i.e. the movement stops (and damages the player) if it is blocked, which is the Hexen behavior. This seems to be an issue on GZDoom's side in relation to the 3D floors (there's a post about it here).