Doom Christmas: Enhanced (Resource Pack) v1.3

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

new-update.png

I’m excited to announce a new update (v1.2) for the Doom Christmas resource pack!

After seeing Misty’s community project having issues with integrating the resource, I decided that it was worth re-organising how the resource pack was put together to make it easier for mappers to use.

In addition, I’ve added a few new graphic enhancements to the pack as a bonus as well with the help from @Craneo. (additional new credits in the credits section below)

download.png
Doom Christmas Enhanced is now cut into two different packages.

1. The first XMASPACK is similar to the original Doom Christmas as you can load it with Doom / Doom II / Plutonia / TNT and it’ll work. It’s meant for playing and NOT for mappers.
  2. The second package XMASPACK-Resource is the actual resource for mappers to use in their projects.

Links:

XMASPACK WAD (for players): Download

XMASPACK Resource (for mappers): Download

new-stuff.png

Spoiler

new-sprites-v12.gif

new-skies-v12.png

new-textures-v12.png

credit.png

Spoiler

Additional v1.2 Asset Credits:

Arsinikk

• Final lamp GFX edits
  • XMAS sky variants
  • BLUEGSTN (ARSKBLST) + BLUREDST textures
  • STONE2 and STONE3 fixes

Craneo

• Classic XMas Doom sky texture design
  • Lamp GFX edits

Mechadon

• Night sky base

Eradrop

• sky variant backgrounds

Korp

• XMAS Doom sky trees

Zrrion the Insect

• lamppost pole and base bits

conclusion.png

Hopefully this resource will be useful for anyone who wants to make future Christmas Doom WADs!

Regarding some things that could be added to the resource, we are still missing some things:

• Christmas sprites for the Spider Mastermind
  • Still missing some Christmas versions of Vanilla Doom textures

Again a very special thank you to Craneo for the lamp sprite bases and the recreated snow mountain for the skies.

Thank you!

Arsinikk

Utterly adore you guy's restoration and expansion of this holly jolly Christmas classic

Do y'all mind if I recompile these assets and rerelease them as a patch for older Christmas wads? I specifically want it to be as modular as practically possible for all kinds of preference (like if someone just wants the texture realignments without all the newfangled ones, or wants the fresh new Pain Elemental sound but still likes to hear "MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE! HO HO HO!!!" everytime a gib happens)

All due credit will be given of course + a link to this thread in the readme and whatever topic I release it under

31 minutes ago, No-Man Baugh said:

Utterly adore you guy's restoration and expansion of this holly jolly Christmas classic

Do y'all mind if I recompile these assets and rerelease them as a patch for older Christmas wads? I specifically want it to be as modular as practically possible for all kinds of preference (like if someone just wants the texture realignments without all the newfangled ones, or wants the fresh new Pain Elemental sound but still likes to hear "MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE! HO HO HO!!!" everytime a gib happens)

All due credit will be given of course + a link to this thread in the readme and whatever topic I release it under

Sure that's completely fine :)

I already tried creating a sort of all-in-one package with the (for the players) link, but there's probably a few things you may wanna mix and match.

Found out that the Vsmooth xmas patch has it's own little change to the chaingun, giving it some c9 bulbs

Spoiler

CHGGA0big.png.900834c2295d820f70b9ced3bf427414.pngPKCGA0big.png.bef6de20312ca07ce785d6a908ae20b3.png

Curious what you think of these? according to the readme this is something the guy who made this version of vsmooth, act17, made themself for their project

here's a link to the mod: https://www.moddb.com/mods/sdvchristmaswad/downloads/smoothdoom-vanilla-christmas-patch

On 12/2/2023 at 12:05 PM, No-Man Baugh said:

Curious what you think of these? according to the readme this is something the guy who made this version of vsmooth, act17, made themself for their project

Hey apologies, I let this get away from me. (Been a bit busy recently).

I sorta like the idea of the bulbs on the chaingun, but I'm less thrilled about the execution here. Part of the reason for this "enhanced" version of the Doom Christmas resource was to better the quality of the assets. With that we also strive to keep some overall cohesion of art style to keep everything feel that it belongs together.

I'd say those chaingun sprites don't really fit either of those categories as they are now.

2 hours ago, Arsinikk said:

Hey apologies, I let this get away from me. (Been a bit busy recently).

I sorta like the idea of the bulbs on the chaingun, but I'm less thrilled about the execution here. Part of the reason for this "enhanced" version of the Doom Christmas resource was to better the quality of the assets. With that we also strive to keep some overall cohesion of art style to keep everything feel that it belongs together.

I'd say those chaingun sprites don't really fit either of those categories as they are now.

Honestly the main reason I brought it up was to see if you and collaborators would be interested in enhancing them yourselves. However immediately after reading your response I figured I could do the work myself if I really wanted to see this chaingun in the wad

Here's what I got done so far. done from-scratch modeled after C9 lightbulbs
CHGGA0.png.3593ae759fa8da76ca8bdd4dd31c27aa.png

just finished the silhouette and getting the hang of GIMP. At first I was pretty satisfied with the way the middle red and was really laboring on the 2 green bulbs, but looking at it now in this size the red bulb looks pretty lumpy and the green bulbs look more proportional (ironic since they're just rotated versions of the middle, lol)

I'll probably ask for help sooner or later given that I've never worked on totally original drawings since I was 6, but for now I'm just going to take a break and work on cleaning up the bulbs and start lighting

Merry Christmas, everyone. HO! HO! HO!!!

Edited by No-Man Baugh

Going to be releasing a small 3 map DM pack using this resource. Will be released tomorrow.

Some good work in this resource pack, was very fun to use.

10 hours ago, Superjustinbros said:

I tried loading XMASPACK.WAD into GZDoom and it gives me this fatal error before it can start.
image.png.42807418c8cf0eedbbe639d8f344d885.png

I'm currently working on a fix/update.

Thanks for letting me know.

I'll try and get this updated when I can :)

new-update.png

Here's a new update (v1.3) for the Doom Christmas resource pack!

Apologies, I've been a bit busy during this Christmas season. :)

This should fix an oversight on loading the XMASPACK.WAD in GZDoom (oops) @Superjustinbros

This also includes some sprite refreshes as well as a few new textures.

download.png

• The first XMASPACK is similar to the original Doom Christmas as you can load it with Doom / Doom II / Plutonia / TNT and it’ll work. It’s meant for playing and NOT for mappers.
  • The second package XMASPACK-Resource is the actual resource for mappers to use in their projects.

Links:

XMASPACK WAD (for players): Download

XMASPACK Resource (for mappers)Download

new-stuff.png

Spoiler

new-sprites-v13.gif

new-textures-v13.png

In addition, some minor things were updated/fixed in v1.3:

• Updated BRDR textures were updated to match GRNROCK.
  • Updated hell sky (SKY3) to be darker.
  • Fixed Imposter Imp (Fast Imp) error in the MBF Dehacked of the Modder Resource.
  • Fixed an error in DECORATE causing ZDoom ports to crash (oops)

credit.png

Spoiler

Additional v1.3 Asset Credits:

Arsinikk

• E2M8 Baron Wall (W108_1)

Craneo

• Icon of Sin Textures (RWDMON1-3)
  • Frozen Pipe Textures (TP*_* + RP*_*)

ThatKidBobo

• Sprite updates for POL**0, COL**0, and BON1*0

conclusion.png

Hopefully this resource will be useful for anyone who wants to make future Christmas Doom WADs!

Regarding some things that could be added to the resource, we are still missing some things:

Special thanks to both @Craneo and @ThatKidBobo for their work on new sprite and texture edits.

Thank you!

Arsinikk

Edited by Arsinikk

15 hours ago, Arsinikk said:

new-update.png

Here's a new update (v1.3) for the Doom Christmas resource pack!

Apologies, I've been a bit busy during this Christmas season. :)

This should fix an oversight on loading the XMASPACK.WAD in GZDoom (oops) @Superjustinbros

This also includes some sprite refreshes as well as a few new textures.

download.png

• The first XMASPACK is similar to the original Doom Christmas as you can load it with Doom / Doom II / Plutonia / TNT and it’ll work. It’s meant for playing and NOT for mappers.
  • The second package XMASPACK-Resource is the actual resource for mappers to use in their projects.

Links:

XMASPACK WAD (for players): Download

XMASPACK Resource (for mappers)Download

new-stuff.png

Hide contents

new-sprites-v13.gif

new-textures-v13.png

In addition, some minor things were updated/fixed in v1.3:

• Updated BRDR textures were updated to match GRNROCK.
  • Updated hell sky (SKY3) to be darker.
  • Fixed Imposter Imp (Fast Imp) error in the MBF Dehacked of the Modder Resource.
  • Fixed an error in DECORATE causing ZDoom ports to crash (oops)

credit.png

Hide contents

Additional v1.3 Asset Credits:

Arsinikk

• E2M8 Baron Wall (W108_1)

Craneo

• Icon of Sin Textures (RWDMON1-3)
  • Frozen Pipe Textures (TP*_* + RP*_*)

ThatKidBobo

• Sprite updates for POL**0, COL**0, and BON1*0

conclusion.png

Special thanks to both @Craneo and @ThatKidBobo for their work on new sprite and texture edits.

Thank you!

Arsinikk

Just came to check the thread and there's been an update. Amazing stuff, congratulations on making this. I've played a map with this and it was really good fun. I've been making some snow textures for original Doom because I want people to be able to make maps that resemble the originals but snowy. Are there a lot of these in this pack? Also, I'll edit out the bug quote tomorrow, I'm on my cellphone right now.

Edited by DoomGappy