Box Doom - Community Project [Slots Filled]

@Halfblind Thank you for making this compilation of the contributions and the google form

Got a question tho: Do I list my boxes on one form submission, or do I file an individual form for each box? (e.g. BOX 06, Box 27, BOX 52 vs. just Box 06.)

Also can you give the room dimensions a type box option? one of my maps is 320x320 and another is 304x304, so it'd be nice to get some specificity

I greatly appreciate the work you've done for this project, you're like a third project lead on this

7 minutes ago, No-Man Baugh said:

@Halfblind Do I list my boxes on one form submission, or do I file an individual form for each box?

One form submission per box. This generates an itemized Google sheet that I can list numerically by box number. This will also help me keep organized when I give feedback when the project is past the initial submission deadline. I also added those box dimensions to the selections too.

Edited by Halfblind

20 minutes ago, No-Man Baugh said:

@Halfblind also when you say to use "range values" for the number of tags used, do you mean tag actions, the actual number of tags used, or the numbers that I used when tagging?

Your boxes are 06, 27 and 52 so you should be using sector and line tags 61-70, 271-280, 521-230 respectively. This helps randomsounds01 with compiling the rooms better so that they don't have to re-assign your rooms tags. If you just type the tags that you already used in that field and if fits in a 'range' value I can edit it later.

I have rooms 33 and 34, but I didn't use any tags, so I typed None in the field instead.

On 9/17/2023 at 12:17 AM, Halfblind said:

Two ways really

1. First method - Using any modern Doom editor:

Open the wad in the editor and go to Tools and then go to  Game Configurations. Finally select your OTEX WAD with the Add Resource button and add it via the From WAD File tab. Now you can just press play and run both files at the same time. 

2. Second Method - Just drag and drop both files into your source port of choice and like magic it works.

thanks for the help!

Hello there ! Here comes my TRUE map for this project (for slot 04). Enjoy ! :P

Title : What a Jerk ! 

Monsters : 5.
Secret : 1.

Troll map : maximum level ! 

Music : Earthbound OST Sanctuary Guardian (cover by ???).

What a jerk.zip

6 hours ago, Proxy-MIDI said:

Hello there ! Here comes my TRUE map for this project (for slot 04). Enjoy ! :P

Title : What a Jerk ! 

Monsters : 5.
Secret : 1.

Troll map : maximum level ! 

Music : Earthbound OST Sanctuary Guardian (cover by ???).

What a jerk.zip

Houston we have a problem

doom14.png.ffd1123e9e033fc798aca787e2917de2.png

1 hour ago, Djoga said:

Well yes the HOM effect is gone but the secret is still unobtainable. Is the floor tagged as secret supposed to lower as well?

Ja. Indeed. As to me, it's working. I tested that several times. That's weird. :O

@Dragonfly Talk better about my absolute masterpiece or I cut your wings, you insect. :evil:

Edited by Proxy-MIDI
I had to add a lil' joke. :P

9 minutes ago, Proxy-MIDI said:

Ja. Indeed. As to me, it's working. I tested that several times. That's weird. :O

@Dragonfly Talk better about my absolute masterpiece or I cut your wings, you insect. :evil:

Maybe do something like this so it'll work 100%

image.png.cb33722455ce2b532639791806939a44.png

Here's my final submission for my three rooms:

stochastic-bd-57-71-72.zip

• Room 57 - "Vile Luxury"
Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20230923_105429.jpg.5917efbfc8b0d591a450b886605a4570.jpg

• Assumes player doesn't have PG or BFG
  • Room 71 - "The Blue Room

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20230912_185435.jpg.bcc5121c8df36bb40c45fbccbb1f04fb.jpg

• Assumes player doesn't have BFG
  • Room 72 - "The Red Room"
Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20230912_185551.jpg.b34170353788bda95b81098b1250622f.jpg

Some notes:

• Changed the tags to the discussed numbering conventions in order to avoid conflicts during integration. 
  • Added additional detailing, texture alignment fixes, and added entrance/exit doors to each room via generalized door action 15631
  • All difficulties are implemented.
  • All the rooms are 512 x 512, with 57 having some nooks that extend outside of this (by about 16 px). If this is a problem, I can change it.
  • Tested with GZDoom, GLBoom+/PRBoom+ and DSDA Doom.
  • Submitted each room as a Google form per @Halfblind for easier organization later on.

Really excited to see everyone's rooms and play through the finished product!

Edit for @Halfblind: I've attached my latest submissions, implementing the clean up tips and fixes you suggested in your post, namely removing unnecessary/joining sectors. Please include this in your next submission bundle to the dev lead. Thanks!

Edited by stochastic
Resolved WFALL1-4 texture issues

@randomsounds01

Resubmitting my maps again. I think this will be the last update. Here is a changelog:

- Adapted all tags to the new guidelines so it's easier for you to add them to the final map.

- Added a teleporter trap in the fountain of youth room since I only recently learned how to do that and the rules allowed for it. Balanced it around difficulty too. 

- Removed some sector tags from the Mosh Pit room, since I changed how the cacodemon is raised. You can put an item here depending on progression. 

- Tested all the rooms in GZDoom and DSDA Doom.

- Submitted details to @Halfblind's google form

Jo2uke Gappy - Trial by fire - mosh pit - the fountain of youth (final).7z

Edited by jo2ukegappy

I'm submitting a new box for the project. Candidate for spot 25. It's called "Hell Hole". Size 320 x 320. 

The sector tags for this entry follows the new defined guidelines. I'll submit all the information to @Halfblind's form as I already did for my first map.

Screenshot_Doom_20230922_190042.png.261fa4ad6bb15410be14d071c6148bd6.png

HellHole.zip

Edited by Slaughter
typo

Alright, all 3 rooms in 1 file. I REALLY hope I don't have to fix them multiple times again.

• Room 13 - Hazardous
Spoiler

doom16.png.12e3a0c44260192c0463359ffbf03af1.png

• 512x512 room with 5 monsters.
  • Midi - "Become the Hunted" by James Paddock.
  • Relies on the blue armor and a shotgun obtained from previous rooms.
  • Has a voodoo script that raises and lowers the platforms.
  • Room 14 - Drop Dead

Spoiler

doom17.png.26578e807bf0167669a66afae450c050.png

• 384x384 room with 6 monsters.
  • Plays the same midi from Room 13. The music will change back to default once you enter the next room.
  • Both Rooms 13 and 14 are in MAP01.
  • Room 38 - Queuerockshow
Spoiler

doom18.png.a9b2d3ebca0e825f79f0df94f257035e.png

• 512x512 rooms with 10 monsters
  • Midi - "Besieged City" by James Paddock. The music will change back to default once you enter the next room.
  • Shotgun-start.
  • Is in MAP02.
  • Tested with PrBoom+, DSDA-Doom and GZDoom.
  • The red circles with question marks you will see in DoomBuilder are music changers. They work in PrBoom+ and other advanced ports and will only work if the wad has MUSINFO in it.
  • I'll have to resubmit the rooms in Google forms.

Djoga 13-14-38.zip

Edited by Djoga

Can I make a submission? I made two rooms, not exactly sure what specific room numbers I want though. Any room where the rooms fit is fine. I'm sort of a new mapper, I assume it's open to all skill levels but if not, you can just ignore this. I also feel like maybe "Spiders Den" could use some improvement, if I make an updated version of the room before the deadline, will I be able to replace the old room? I'm very excited to see this project come to light, there's definitely going to be a lot of variety with every mapmaker's different style.

Edit: 59 and 62 would probably work (if im reading the diagram correctly)

Edit 2: I made a third room inspired by Dead Simple, I'm thinking maybe this could be Room 70. Hopefully I used the archvile right according to the rules.

TheBoxWads.zip

Edited by BlazedMaps

12 hours ago, BlazedMaps said:

I'm sort of a new mapper, I assume it's open to all skill levels but if not, you can just ignore this.

Hey BlazedMaps! I believe this project is open to all skill levels (I'm a bit of a new mapper, myself).

13 hours ago, BlazedMaps said:

if I make an updated version of the room before the deadline, will I be able to replace the old room?

Yeah, definitely. Most of us have posted multiple iterations of our maps as we've made improvements/bug fixes. Not sure when the project leads are going to evaluate the submissions, but I reckon you have some time to refine your maps as needed.

I've revised my first submission (CELL666.wad).

What changed:

- Tag numbering now complies to the project standards;

- Small texture alignment adjustments;

- Difficulty levels fully implemented;

- Minor changes for greater compatibility with other ports such as DSDA-Doom;

CELL666.zip

1 hour ago, randomsounds01 said:

The exit isn't in the right direction.

On 9/23/2023 at 12:55 PM, Djoga said:

Alright, all 3 rooms in 1 file. I REALLY hope I don't have to fix them multiple times again.

• Room 13 - Hazardous
  Reveal hidden contents

doom16.png.12e3a0c44260192c0463359ffbf03af1.png

• 512x512 room with 5 monsters.
  • Midi - "Become the Hunted" by James Paddock.
  • Relies on the blue armor and a shotgun obtained from previous rooms.
  • Has a voodoo script that raises and lowers the platforms.
  • Room 14 - Drop Dead
  Reveal hidden contents

doom17.png.26578e807bf0167669a66afae450c050.png

• 384x384 room with 6 monsters.
  • Plays the same midi from Room 13. The music will change back to default once you enter the next room.
  • Both Rooms 13 and 14 are in MAP01.
  • Room 38 - Queuerockshow
  Reveal hidden contents

doom18.png.a9b2d3ebca0e825f79f0df94f257035e.png

• 512x512 rooms with 10 monsters
  • Midi - "Besieged City" by James Paddock. The music will change back to default once you enter the next room.
  • Shotgun-start.
  • Is in MAP02.
  • Tested with PrBoom+, DSDA-Doom and GZDoom.
  • The red circles with question marks you will see in DoomBuilder are music changers. They work in PrBoom+ and other advanced ports and will only work if the wad has MUSINFO in it.
  • I'll have to resubmit the rooms in Google forms.

Djoga 13-14-38.zip

I already changed everything