Box Doom - Community Project [Slots Filled]

4 hours ago, Chariot Rider said:

but realistically my room could go into any unclaimed space that has corner connections.

Fortunately for you it looks like every open spot is a corner space. Here are the numbers to choose from, 17, 43, 56, 58, 61, 63 and 67.

7 hours ago, Halfblind said:

you requested Box57 first, so it's rightfully yours. @Frank Harper should be encouraged to request a different open slot.

you have already submitted your rooms and have already been working with me to optimize them. In my lists I always place the first requester first. That way there is no confusion. Whoever is listed second should be encouraged to request a different slot.

Any 40+ slot will be fine, however 

1 hour ago, Halfblind said:

Fortunately for you it looks like every open spot is a corner space. Here are the numbers to choose from, 17, 43, 56, 58, 61, 63 and 67.

it looks like the only slots available are the corner rooms. So, do I need to rebuild my room, or is it possible that there will be a connection to the next room that will compensate for this?

@Halfblind regarding your player start 1 question: the engine decides which one to use based on the most recently placed one. So after compiling the map, just delete the real player start and place it again on the same spot. That should do it.

@Halfblind, do you think I could move from slot 62 to slot 61? I haven't really been keeping up with the project the last couple days so I'm not sure if there's going to be any complications with this but as far I can see nobody has claimed slot 61 yet. I'll have to make some edits to the room, but I can make it work.

Updated map:

Box61CornerwBCedit.zip

Edited by BlazedMaps

2 hours ago, BlazedMaps said:

@Halfblind, do you think I could move from slot 62 to slot 61?

To explain: This move is a result of me asking @BlazedMaps if this was possible. It's freeing up two subsequent rooms – 62 and 63 – which I'd like to claim now. Also, 62 is my favourite number. 😀

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how I see it) I'm going on a one-week island vacation now, with no possibility to do mapping stuff. So I'll create my rooms on the last 3 days of October, when I'm back. As I said earlier, if it turns out that all slots are taken because everyone is submitting their maps at the end, well then that's just the way it is.

This is my submission for box 66. It may need a 90 degree rotation if indeed the diagram shown in OP is "off by 1".

I call it "Demonic Elevator"

box66_demonic_elevator.zip

I have entered the info in the Google Form (I don't see it showing up in the spreadsheet, though)

Screenshot:

Spoiler

box66.jpg.645a760dad956450c3326ae7fcf3de88.jpg

This is the info for the room. 
Number: 66
Author: tornado potato
Title: Demonic Elevator
Dimensions: 256x256
Tags used: 660-669
Enemy count: 5
Difficulties implemented: Fully Implemented
Custom textures: OTEX

Edited by tornado potato

I have finished my submission and now am sending in here. Kinda got lazy at the end, so expect a decrease in quality of decorations at one point.

Now, a couple of points that I want add addessed to whoever will compile the map @randomsounds01 @Halfblind.

1) at the start of the map is a giant stash of every weapon and every ammo. This stash is only here for playtesting purposes. Please remove it once these three boxes are inserted into the wad.

2) As you can see, this file includes the previous box made by @DoomGappy and the next box made by @crug . I included them here so I could make a seamless transiotion between the boxes. Please connect those submissions with mine in the exact same way I did here.

Thats about it.

Names:

1st box: Amania Volcano

2nd box: Amania research complex

3rd box: Amania protectorate.

Template.wad.zip

On 10/19/2023 at 11:56 PM, Halfblind said:

Slot 56 works for me.

I have updated mu submission. Fixed some of the more glaring issues misalignments and texture errors (occasionally creatively).

My previous wishes to how this map is compiled still remain.Template.wad.zip

On 10/20/2023 at 12:57 AM, Frank Harper said:

So, do I need to rebuild my room, or is it possible that there will be a connection to the next room that will compensate for this?

Unfortunately, I'm don't make the final decision on the final layout design. That is ultimately up to randomsounds01. I'm just helping out, to keep everyone up to date as best as I can and calm the chaos down a bit.

On 10/20/2023 at 2:38 PM, DaBigNerd said:

Hi, can I take slot 17 please? Thanks a ton!!

Hello, thanks for your interest. I have added you to my list.

On 10/20/2023 at 10:57 PM, Grizzly Old B said:

62 and 63 – which I'd like to claim now.

Hello, I've added you to my list and have changed @BlazedMaps to slot 61. Sorry for the late reply, I had some real-life stuff come up in the last few days.

On 10/21/2023 at 8:50 PM, tornado potato said:

(I don't see it showing up in the spreadsheet, though)

That spreadsheet is actually a copy of the original. I always update it every so often. I will update the spreadsheet by the end of the week, thanks for reminding me.

On 10/22/2023 at 12:37 PM, LSC Lasico said:

Now, a couple of points that I want to add addressed to whoever will compile the map

Thank for your submission, I have updated it on my list. Ultimately it will be randomsounds01 compiling the final map. That is good information for me to know because I will be testing it later.

On 10/22/2023 at 7:02 PM, Chariot Rider said:

Slot 56 works for me.

Thanks, I updated your submission on my list.

6 minutes ago, Hydrus said:

Withdrawing map, #28 is now free.

Sorry to hear that, but thanks for letting me know I appreciate it. I have updated the vacancy on my list.

Sorry for the lack of a major update this week. In the next few days, I will be sending randomsounds01 everything that I have. This means the updated list, everyone's rooms that I've tested and insisting that he include my updated submission list and spreadsheet in the OP. After that I will return to testing and optimizing everyone's submissions.

Edited by Halfblind

1 hour ago, Halfblind said:

Thank for your submission, I have updated it on my list. Ultimately it will be randomsounds01 compiling the final map. That is good information for me to know because I will be testing it later.

Is it the most recent version that I pksted just 6 hours ago?

I don't think I can make it in time. I thought if some slots were not taken it would extend the deadline

Big apologies for my late submission! It turns out life is getting much busier than I thought it'd be. So, instead of my two boxes being a tribute to D64 and Quake respectively, I just decided to make them rather simplistic ones, with one based on... Pac-Man and another being a graveyard-themed (kinda) box in commemoration of the conclusion of the good ole spooky month.

Spoiler

image.png

Now that the submission list has been updated I've decided to update my room to fit in slot 28 as opposed to 21 so as to not step on anyone's toes. Please let me know if anyone else submitted into 28 and I need to update again.

Here's the submission

Hey. I wasn't quite able to finish my two rooms (61 + 62) by today, but will surely do so tomorrow. I hope that's okay with the deadline.

Here's the current status of the rooms, if you want to take a look: vistagap.zip

Room 61 is called “The Vista”.

Room 62 is called “The Gap”.

Position of the rooms in the overall layout (as someone pointed out, the original counting is off by one starting from room 60):

Spoiler

vistagap-position.png.7dd8e6d97a6d5b161f9fcb2d6ffd9816.png

The rooms in the editor:

Spoiler

vistagap-map.jpg.d9114424297141fd1cc8b9280726f8ed.jpg

Some screenshots:

Spoiler

vista1.png.89e6d5132440dccadda89aa570f76d45.png

vista2.png.6ff1acdbb8278213cc3916d9957a8683.png

gap1.png.c81e0426dee838470a39791a00d319f5.png

gap2.png.cf29fd44db640ebacb8280b4179117b5.png

More tomorrow!

Edited by Grizzly Old B
added map image

5 hours ago, tewgytaylor said:

I've decided to update my room to fit in slot 28 as opposed to 21

Thanks for the update and thanks for taking slot 28 instead. I updated it on my personal list. For some reason I had your original file labeled as BOX36, so this helps clarify things a ton.

11 hours ago, taufan99 said:

Big apologies for my late submission!

Thanks, no problem, but for some reason my ISP is blocking that website, so I cannot download your file :(. If you have the attachment space, can you please send it to me as a PM instead, or try using a different web host.

1 hour ago, Grizzly Old B said:

Hey. I wasn't quite able to finish my two rooms (61 + 62) by today.

Thanks for your work so far, but according to my list your slots are actually 62 and 63. This doesn't affect the design of your first room, because it just needs rotated, but this does affect the layout of your second room, however. 61's real estate is owned by BlazedMaps. The number key is indeed off by 1.

Here is one issue that I did find though. The sky, hall of mirrors effect is messed up. This can be fixed by making your floors and ceilings the same height. Also, the midgrade texture bleeds into the floor. This is also an issue in the second room too. There are actually textures to fix this issue in OTEX and/or 32in24-15_tex texture WADS. With your permission I can fix this issue in your final build.

HsQV57H.png

6 hours ago, Halfblind said:

Thanks, no problem, but for some reason my ISP is blocking that website, so I cannot download your file :(. If you have the attachment space, can you please send it to me as a PM instead, or try using a different web host.

Alright, here you go.

BoxDoom-Maps23and24.zip

7 hours ago, Halfblind said:

Thanks for your work so far, but according to my list your slots are actually 62 and 63. This doesn't affect the design of your first room, because it just needs rotated, but this does affect the layout of your second room, however. 61's real estate is owned by BlazedMaps. The number key is indeed off by 1.

Here is one issue that I did find though. The sky, hall of mirrors effect is messed up. This can be fixed by making your floors and ceilings the same height. Also, the midgrade texture bleeds into the floor. This is also an issue in the second room too. There are actually textures to fix this issue in OTEX and/or 32in24-15_tex texture WADS. With your permission I can fix this issue in your final build.

Oh dear, I guess that's what happens when you're doing things in a hurry ... Thanks a lot for pointing out these issues!

Ok, rooms 62 and 63 then. Will rotate the first room and alter the second one such that its doors are on opposite ends. Shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

Regarding the texturing/grate issues: I will first try to fix these myself. When I'm not able to do this in a reasonable amount of time, I may gladly accept your offer to fix it for my. Thanks for that! (So far I had only tested in GZDoom where everything looked ok.)

Looking forward to another mapping session tonight. (Hopefully it won't last until 4am in the morning again ... 😅)

Updated version of rooms 62 and 63, hopefully with all issues fixed:

vistagap.2023-11-02.zip

You'll need 32in24-15_tex_v2.wad as additional resource. I have tested the rooms with GZDoom and Crispy Doom. (I have installed the latter for the first time now; interesting how different it feels compared to GZDoom.) Player 1 start + weapon/ammo in starting corridor as well as exit linedef in ending corridor will of course have to be removed. I will probably provide one more update in order to implement difficulty levels and maybe some small detailing. And of course fixes when playtesters find new issues. Feel free to give the rooms a try – it's a rather puzzly experience.

Updated map:

Spoiler

vistagap-map.png.9d733d2788427bfeefe86284f6fd9405.png

Map Info:

Number: 62
Author: Grizzly Old B
Title: The Vista
Dimensions: 512x512
Tags used: 620-625
Enemy count: 9
Difficulties implemented: not yet implemented
Custom textures: 32in24-15_tex_v2

Number: 63
Author: Grizzly Old B
Title: The Gap
Dimensions: 512x512
Tags used: 630-638
Enemy count: 7
Difficulties implemented: not yet implemented
Custom textures: 32in24-15_tex_v2

Edited by Grizzly Old B
updated map image, as it was showing ceilings instead of floors

32 minutes ago, randomsounds01 said:

By the way, I’m going to extend the deadline to December because we don’t have all the slots claimed.

In this case, I'd like to claim a 3rd slot, namely number 11.

4 hours ago, randomsounds01 said:

By the way, I’m going to extend the deadline to December because we don’t have all the slots claimed.

Alright then, I gotta add some more details to my earlier submissions as well as claim slot 73.

Oh, and another question, which line specials can I use for the slot 73, given that the list doesn't go that far, even in Boom? Am I free to use anything or will there be any limitation?

Another update for rooms 62 and 63:

vistagap.2023-11-02b.zip

Main changes to previous version:

• difficulty levels implemented (on hard difficulty, both rooms have 9 enemies now; weaker/less enemies on easy and medium difficulty)
  • fixed some texturing
  • added some small details
  • barrels! ;-)

Again, you'll need 32in24-15_tex_v2 as additional texture pack. I consider this the final version of the rooms, except when someone finds severe issues during playtesting. Feedback very welcome!

Now for something else:

I'm not sure if this has been discussed here before: Will jumping and crouching be allowed in the map? I have designed my rooms towards no jumping/crouching.

Edited by Grizzly Old B

it seems my third room hasn't yet been added to the room list in the original post

"someone needs to do something about this!" -☝️🤓

5 hours ago, Grizzly Old B said:

Now for something else:

I'm not sure if this has been discussed here before: Will jumping and crouching be allowed in the map? I have designed my rooms towards no jumping/crouching.

This rule implies that the final map will be boom format, i.e. designed for ports like PRBoom+, DSDA-Doom, Woof, and other boom-based ports that have jumping disabled by default

4. Complevel 9 is recommended, although limit-removing and vanilla compatible maps are completely allowed.

So no, I don't think jumping and crouching is allowed

10 hours ago, SmolGhost said:

it seems my third room hasn't yet been added to the room list in the original post.

Thanks for your concern, but I already have your down for boxes, 33, 42 & 51 like you originally requested. I've verified this in the OP too, and it is listed there.

On another note, does anyone want to convert their boxes into corner slots and trade with a few boxes that cannot go into corner slots at all. I have about 4 non-corner slots to somehow find space for.