Box Doom - Community Project [Slots Filled]

@DoomGappy I tried to play this, the player starts in a dummy sector and numerous boxes are either shifted off the grid or rotated 90 degrees so flat alignments, notably with lights and teleport pads, are messed up. I hope this is taken into consideration for any updates.

1 hour ago, Frank Harper said:

If I understand correctly, this is my additional submitted map, it called "Blood Magic"

That's it, It's replaced one of the dropped slots. Thank you!

34 minutes ago, Lone2401 said:

@DoomGappy I tried to play this, the player starts in a dummy sector and numerous boxes are either shifted off the grid or rotated 90 degrees so flat alignments, notably with lights and teleport pads, are messed up. I hope this is taken into consideration for any updates.

Thanks, Lone2401. We will post a more polished update soon. There are 3 people working a lot on this, @LSC Lasico, @No-Man Baugh and I. We are going back and forth with the wad and assimilating and fixing bugs. The version I posted later was more of a "here's what we've done so far" version, since it had been a long time since the last update. Stay tuned!

3 hours ago, DoomGappy said:

There are still unnamed boxes. I'll tag everyone again. If you've sent me a name already, I'm sorry, it's just too much stuff to keep track of. 

Box 08 - @Matt Eldrydge
Box 22 - @stridertech
Box 28 - @tewgytaylor
Box 45 - @stridertech
Box 51 - @SmolGhost

I think I know SmolGhost's box name already from the files he sent. 

Yo, there might be a miscount somewhere. I only made box 07 (what's in the box).

4 minutes ago, Matt Eldrydge said:

Yo, there might be a miscount somewhere. I only made box 07 (what's in the box).

I'll check this out tomorrow. Thanks for the reply, there probably is a small issue.

@Hydrus, can I make the button that opens the door in LeFancy usable instead of shootable? I used it as a secret path between two boxes.

pMcdCut.png

59 minutes ago, DoomGappy said:

@Hydrus, can I make the button that opens the door in LeFancy usable instead of shootable? I used it as a secret path between two boxes.

pMcdCut.png

I had it that way at first, but I couldn't press it due to the door being right in front of it. But if you can fix it, go ahead.

14 minutes ago, Hydrus said:

Also, I updated the midi, so use this version please.

synopsis1.zip

About the midis, we will probably have a single one for all the maps. Sorry, this is way above what we can do right now with our knowledge. Who knows for a future project?

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, DoomGappy said:

Sorry, this is way above what we can do right now with our knowledge.

I could help with setting midis to specific rooms so that they would be switch back to the original one after leaving those rooms.

The MUSINFO lump works in multiple different ports.

Otherwise it will need a midi that's longer than 5 minutes

Edited by Djoga

9 minutes ago, Djoga said:

I could help with setting midis to specific rooms so that they would be switch back to the original one after leaving those rooms.

The MUSINFO lump works in multiple different ports.

Otherwise it will need a midi that's longer than 5 minutes

Thanks for offering your help! It's good to know that the technical possibility exists, but I think we'll have to balance that carefully. It would probably be a bit annoying if there's e.g. a series of easier rooms that are all beatable in less than 30 seconds, and each of them has its own music. For more complicated rooms that the player spends more time in, it might make sense though. We'll have to discuss that internally first.

@Djoga Sorry about that, I think I may have been the one who scared Gappy off of bothering with musinfo after recounting my splotchy experience with the format

Me: Djoga's Map13 had some musinfo that changed the music specifically for their box.

I totally get if you and Ol' B would rather not deal with the total trashfire that is musinfo but I think it was a cool addition to their map and it would be cool to see it (I mean if y'all don't, then I'll do it myself when I fix my fake bridge)

Gappy: Can it be done in Boom compat? I removed it cause I thought it was impossible. I just raised the topic of the WADs midi today in the private group we've created. 

Me: If you mean Boom-based source ports (e.g. DSDA-Doom, PRBoom-Plus, Woof) than yes it's compatible, if a bit finicky:
https://doomwiki.org/wiki/MUSINFO

Map 01 of Ancient Aliens and Map 02 of Poogers use mid-game music changes pretty seemlessly, I did encounter a glitch in Map 10 of DIY where the disco music didn't kick in after loading a save from the previous sector, but I can't seem to replicate that in my current versions of either Woof, DSDA-Doom or PRBoomX (tho I do know that AAliens and Poogers got around even that by just placing a musinfo thing on every sector, which would be painstaking)

Gappy: I understand the idea, but I think it can be pretty bad for 80 boxes. Maybve if it was divided into themes or something.

And that was a month ago, before I officially joined the team, and even back then it seems most active and relevant ports have gotten better about musinfo support as evident by me not even being able to recreate my own first-hand experience with bugged musinfo

So, about the song idea, we are thinking of doing a simple music change every 20 boxes, for a change of pace. The idea of having one song per box was interesting, but it has some flaws that were overlooked by the original leads:

1 - One song for each box would mean that each song would be played for a very short time. 
2 - It would also mean that there would be very abrupt changes in vibe all of a sudden.

It could probably work mechanically, but I feel like having a mood set and a mood change would probably work best. I'm sorry to all the people who carefully selected songs for their boxes, but I hope you can understand my reasoning.

As for the progress, you can check out our friend @No-Man Baugh playing the currrent version of the map down here. He allowed me to upload it to my channel. A lot of progress has been made in the bug fixing of the boxes, and we're starting to set up the hub area teleporters and other details. We're working hard!

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, DoomGappy said:

As for the progress, you can check out our friend @No-Man Baugh playing the currrent version of the map down here.

I just noticed some minor issues with my rooms.

Spoiler

Screenshot_2024-04-03-08-23-02-803_com.google.android.youtube-edit.jpg.f0d665ccb9794537291fa221c8e0bd65.jpgScreenshot_2024-04-03-08-24-01-050_com.google.android.youtube-edit.jpg.c912cee794b6b25944f368865a00eda4.jpg

Please remove the mega armor and the shotgun at the start of room 13 and change the second green ceiling to red in room 38.

Thanks.

Also I know I'm not the one who made room 18, but maybe it should have a switch that lets the conveyor belt move again so there won't be any softlocks.

Edited by Djoga

Posted (edited)

We have squashed a lot of bugs and also fixed stuff people have noticed in their boxes. We are still going to balance pickups later on. The bug in box 18 is proving to be a bit annoying, but we have some solutions in mind. Here is the current version of the map for further scrutiny. 

Current version of the map (0.41)
Current version of the textures (0.09)

We appreciate all the bug reports. The version number is incrementing fast because we are wroking on the wad all together, passing it over so that each one can have a turn and fix something. Thank Carmack for WADs being such great little file formats. 

Edited by DoomGappy

Can't play it in DSDA; one of the textures is "not compatible with Doom 2"

5 hours ago, DoomGappy said:

We have squashed a lot of bugs and also fixed stuff people have noticed in their boxes. We are still going to balance pickups later on. The bug in box 18 is proving to be a bit annoying, but we have some solutions in mind. Here is the current version of the map for further scrutiny. 

Current version of the textures (0.10)

We appreciate all the bug reports. The version number is incrementing fast because we are wroking on the wad all together, passing it over so that each one can have a turn and fix something. Thank Carmack for WADs being such great little file formats. 

I noticed one thing - in my box #73 I have two switches with tags 732 and 734 - for some reason they do not change their textures when activated.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Frank Harper said:

I noticed one thing - in my box #73 I have two switches with tags 732 and 734 - for some reason they do not change their textures when activated.

It's been fixed. I had to add two patches for those switches but I forgot to add the switch on version.

3 hours ago, Hydrus said:

Can't play it in DSDA; one of the textures is "not compatible with Doom 2"

Couldn't replicate it here, but we'll keep posting updates, will probably be fixed soon. I test primarily on GzDoom and when things are running okay there I check the other ports. 

Edited by DoomGappy

Posted (edited)

Just so noone is surprised later on: We are going to standardize the switches across the box. That means that all off switches will have an off texture and all on switchers will have an on texture. This is simply to avoid confusion in players asking if they already pressed the buttons in a certain area. 

Edited by DoomGappy

This is turning out to be very cool! I played the current version and it was fun. I got stumped in Room 11, it's quite the puzzle! I loved the hub idea. Particularly liked the hub teleporter to the bathroom level (the bath tub).

1 hour ago, tornado potato said:

This is turning out to be very cool! I played the current version and it was fun. I got stumped in Room 11, it's quite the puzzle! I loved the hub idea. Particularly liked the hub teleporter to the bathroom level (the bath tub).

I take full responsibility for my boxes being a bit too puzzley. Where did you get stuck, can I help? Did you notice the blood puddle?

On 4/11/2024 at 2:59 PM, tornado potato said:

I've added the fixes you've asked for your box. We are fixing the bugs and checking if everything is peachy, but pretty soonish we should have a complete map. 

On 4/11/2024 at 1:58 PM, Grizzly Old B said:

I take full responsibility for my boxes being a bit too puzzley. Where did you get stuck, can I help? Did you notice the blood puddle?

Ahh yes I had missed the blood puddle. I went back to play some more, I was now able to get past this room. I played like 4 or 5 more rooms. This is a very cool wad, each room is like its own mini game. It's amazing how much gameplay can be crammed in such small spaces. Kudos to all!

On 4/4/2024 at 5:12 AM, DoomGappy said:

Current version of the textures (0.09)

Almost forgot.
Monsters in room 38 teleport with a big delay.
Please change the tag 383 linedefs' action from 38 to 24728.
Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Still working diligently on this! We have placed all of the boxes and are now working on making all the teleporters work, as well as correcting known bugs and problems. Just wanted to bump so people don't think it's been dropped. 

• 4 weeks later...

A few issues to solve:

@SteveTheSpaceJanitor, how would you like your box to be credited, "Have a rest(room)" or  "Have a RESTroom"? 

@tewgytaylor, your box 28 sieems to be the only box not to have a name yet. I'm sorry if you've sent me an answer already, but could you tell me what you want it to be called? 

Development still continues. If anyone wants to be a playtester, please send me a message or quote this message. Thanks to all for the patience. 

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

And another late update. We're onto the balancing part of the project, and I've played it both in HMP and HNTR. Here is a video of my most recent HNTR playthrough up to box 72. I'm going to rewatch the footage and tag the mappers which I want permission from to do some balancing for easier difficulties. Sorry for the sniffling in the video, it's quite cold here.

Edited by DoomGappy

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Another weekend, another update. It's been some time again, but we have already done so much on the wad since then. I can confidently say that we have been adding the final touches. Here is a checklist of all that we have done so far:

• All the boxes and extra boxes are in place and fully functional
  • All the teleporters are in place and fully functional
  • The balancing of items and enemies is more or less set in place, we are working on it
  • Most of the bugs we have found have been tracked and squashed

There are still things we are working on, and this is a list of what we still need to do before we have a release:

• We are decorating the corridors between boxes to match the boxes that come before and after it as best as we can for a smoother transition
  • We are triple checking for bugs, and many playthroughs have been conducted, mostly thanks to one of our leads, @Grizzly Old B
  • We are working on some secret things that mappers will only see upon the final release, but be advised that boxdoom will be more than just a simple compilation map

Thanks a lot for the patience, and I hope to announce a release soon enough. Stay tuned!

Edited by DoomGappy