Is this Mac/PC Doom source code on ebay legit?

Light37

Posted (edited)

Well, it's definitely got at least some kind of source code of it.

s-l1600.png

I suppose if anyone's got $600 to burn and doesn't mind it being of dubious legality...

Edited by Dark Pulse

On 3/9/2024 at 11:56 PM, Light37 said:

I noticed that Hexen/Doom CD-ROM is back up on Ebay again, a little cheaper this time. I'm guessing no one bought it or had any sort of deal behind the scenes. Are you sure there's nothing useful on it? Still too high price for me, especially if there's nothing useful.

I can't be 100% sure, of course. I didn't make full comparison of non-Hexen contents, albeit it's maybe similar to what the other CD had. While I'm not 100% sure about the Hexen sources, my guess from the timestamps is that it either matches 1.0(r2) or is very close to that versions.

Either way, bidding sold this time.

do the midis in the source code have roland gs extensions? (e.g. reverb and chorus)

4 hours ago, Donowa said:

do the midis in the source code have roland gs extensions? (e.g. reverb and chorus)

I'd doubt they would, since obviously not every MIDI device supported those.

On 3/12/2024 at 2:20 AM, Dark Pulse said:

I'd doubt they would, since obviously not every MIDI device supported those.

well it's sysex commands, i don't think they'd screw any other devices up
and besides, bobby composed with an sc-55

2 hours ago, Donowa said:

well it's sysex commands, i don't think they'd screw any other devices up
and besides, bobby composed with an sc-55

Schilder is quoted as having said he composed on whatever he had at the time, and there is still the fact that if you go with GS, you are cutting out a significant number of MIDI devices and sound cards that did not support GS.

Needless to say, the smart business money would be on making sure it ran as broadly as possible. Plenty of games might've supported GS, but the baseline would still usually be General MIDI, if not PC Speaker.

13 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

Schilder is quoted as having said he composed on whatever he had at the time, and there is still the fact that if you go with GS, you are cutting out a significant number of MIDI devices and sound cards that did not support GS.

Needless to say, the smart business money would be on making sure it ran as broadly as possible. Plenty of games might've supported GS, but the baseline would still usually be General MIDI, if not PC Speaker. 

gs wasn't just extra instruments, it was also effects like reverb, chorus and delay that would not cause incompatibilities with other devices

2 hours ago, Donowa said:

gs wasn't just extra instruments, it was also effects like reverb, chorus and delay that would not cause incompatibilities with other devices

You seem to not be getting my point, so I will make it clearer.

A MIDI that is composed with GS in mind will sound very different on a device that does not have these capabilites. If you are composing with GS in mind, you are going to be making uses of these extra instruments and effects.

Now you try playing that MIDI on a device that doesn't have these extra instruments and effects. It's going to sound like shit. This is going to leave an impression on the mind of your consumer, who is going to remember this for your next product.

Starting to see why this support was an addition and NOT the baseline yet?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MLGari said:

Well the guy that was selling the mystery disc just posted it online on archive.org go figure 
https://archive.org/details/hexen-source-doom-mac-source

Do you know for certain that it was the seller who posted it to archive rather than the buyer?

Anyhow, I'm guessing it won't be long before a bunch of people here figure out if there's anything useful on it or not.

Edited by Light37

2 hours ago, MLGari said:

Well the guy that was selling the mystery disc just posted it online on archive.org go figure 
https://archive.org/details/hexen-source-doom-mac-source

It would have been the purchaser. Typically people put auctions on rare media to hold the contents ransom, and while that's certainly unethical I doubt few people would stoop so low as to make their buck and THEN suddenly care about media preservation the minute after. He knew what he was selling.

1 hour ago, Light37 said:

Anyhow, I'm guessing it won't be long before a bunch of people here figure out if there's anything useful on it or not.

People have been all over the cdfs already. Unused assets and comment lines.

as suspected by judging from sources timestamp, this is indeed sources for "1.0r2" EXE revision.
DMX and DEFS.INC are missing, but matching version of it can be found in the leaked DMX archive (headers from dmx33gs, lib from dmx34a), DEFS.INC can be taken from open-source release (which was confirmed to match to "1.1r2" by @NY00123).
Source code itself need very minor modification to match released exe: just commenting out RANGECHECK define in H2DEF.H.
Watcom 10.0 and TASM 3.1 should be used as a toolchain.
Resulting exe on my side had only 29 differing bytes compared to released EXE, all differences are in garbage data between C string literals.

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, nukeykt said:

as suspected by judging from sources timestamp, this is indeed sources for "1.0r2" EXE revision.
DMX and DEFS.INC are missing, but matching version of it can be found in the leaked DMX archive (headers from dmx33gs, lib from dmx34a), DEFS.INC can be taken from open-source release (which was confirmed to match to "1.1r2" by @NY00123).
Source code itself need very minor modification to match released exe: just commenting out RANGECHECK define in H2DEF.H.
Watcom 10.0 and TASM 3.1 should be used as a toolchain.
Resulting exe on my side had only 29 differing bytes compared to released EXE, all differences are in garbage data between C string literals.

Confirming. One thing to remind here is that the aforementioned garbage data might depend on the environment. Originally, I got an executable differing by 42 bytes from the released EXE instead of 29, but I could shrink this figure to 29 after changing environment variables to be closer to Nuke.YKT's. These were a part of a setup for running Watcom's program, say a modification to the PATH environment variable and the addition of a WATCOM variable.

I'll remind here that (non-demo) versions "1.0r1" and "1.0r2" of Hexen differ in one manner, as described in the thread I created here about gamesrc-ver-recreation: The call to S_StartSongName from P_SetupLevel was made conditional in "1.0r2", depending on the value of i_CDMusic.

I haven't fully inspected the files related to Doom, and don't know for sure if there's anything new that matters, compared to the previously uploaded disc image. At least a subset is indeed common, like one SIT file that I'm not even sure what was its original filename: "2:17:19.sit", "2/17/95.sit" or "2_17_95.sit".

Edited by NY00123

Now that the CD source code for Hexen has been leaked, I wonder if one can provide a page for the Doom Wiki for the contents of what isn't if either Doom or Hexen's source code files.

5 hours ago, NY00123 said:

I'll remind here that (non-demo) versions "1.0r1" and "1.0r2" of Hexen differ in one manner, as described in the thread I created here about gamesrc-ver-recreation: The call to S_StartSongName from P_SetupLevel was made conditional in "1.0r2", depending on the value of i_CDMusic.

Sorry if I've asked/had this answered before but do we have confirmation (from that or any other additional sources) that r1 was the floppy disk version and r2 the CD-ROM version of the game?  At least for the "1.0" labeled versions?

12 hours ago, Wadmodder Shalton said:

Now that the CD source code for Hexen has been leaked, I wonder if one can provide a page for the Doom Wiki for the contents of what isn't if either Doom or Hexen's source code files.

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/2023_Doom_source_code_leak can serve as example, or can be expanded if there is sufficient overlap.

• 4 weeks later...

Did anyone ever compare the second CD-ROM with the first one to see if there was anything different or new that was not on the first one? (Apart from the new Hexen material.)

On 4/13/2024 at 8:10 AM, Light37 said:

Did anyone ever compare the second CD-ROM with the first one to see if there was anything different or new that was not on the first one? (Apart from the new Hexen material.)

They are indeed different files.

From what I can see it is a Doom 2 Mac build with source code and documents from ID

including notes from Carmack.