NaNoWADMo 2023 - The month-long mapping challenge!

On 9/19/2023 at 2:49 AM, scwiba said:

It counts if you want it to count.

Then I will come. Not that I can guarantee finishing it. 

Count me in! Already have a WAD of my own in the makings so perhaps this could give me some extra motivation to work on it more.

On 9/21/2023 at 5:34 PM, DoomGuy999 said:

How often do spectators cheer people on? I'd be shocked if people are even barely excited for my wad.

I'll cheer you on. I'm excited for everybody's wads.

10 hours ago, Plerb said:

Me and @Melodic Spaceship have some ideas for an Ultimate Doom megawad. Assuming that a multi-person project is okay, sign both of us up!

That's a-okay! There are already at least two multi-mapper teams I'm aware of.

On 9/20/2023 at 3:01 AM, Pechudin said:

I am in. I have a mapping block and will take a break until October then to stew some ideas. 

Suggestion. Do tech base and hell maps. They are my favorite, they have cool and unique perplexing design, along with hell maps which have a very red look to them. It's probably what I will do.

Count me in. This sounds like fun although I do have trouble "finishing" maps. Still, this may be what I need to motivate me (or something lol). 10 maps seems appropirate although, I dont expect to have 10 complete maps by the first of november.

Anyway, see you in november with a (hopefully) finished product!

I had the idea to make a sequel to my map Rocky Canyon (which can be found in Joy of Mapping 4), and this is as good a motivation as any. Count me in!

No particular rules besides mapping during October, right? I've got a job and haven't been able to return to mapping since, maybe this would help me.

I think I can register and try, although I have high risks of not doing anything because of the very heavy workload. I will have at best 7-9 free days in October to do something. Maybe I will be able to make at least a couple of small but good maps. Or maybe I can finally get into the topic of intensive speedmapping, as my biggest problem is the long development time. Anyway, I have one simple concept in my head that I could try to realize at least partially.

Ok, this might seem crazy, but...

Put me in, coach!

(i'm going to put a daily reminder in my phone for Oct: "Nanowadmo 2023"... probably set it for 6pm or something haha.)

(might even lay myself to bare on stream... yeppers)

Edited by TheShep

I would love to participate, but I have to be realistic. I don't have as much time as I would like :(
Best wishes and good luck to all participants, I look forward to your creations!

...y'know what Scwiba? I've been doing some thinking and messing around with DECOHack lately, and I kinda have an idea for a bonus map for one of my sets that I think I can dedicate myself to. I'm not going to be updating progress on the Discord until it's done, but you think you could mark me down as a potential participant in this month? After all, one map done is one map more than I started with, right? 😅

Spoiler

if you couldn't tell, the coin landed on heads-

Rather than stress myself out with something ambitious, I'll make my nonsense 30-year anniversary wad idea. Put me down for one UDoom megawad.

I logged on to doomworld today, and I almost forgot...

...IT HAS BEGUN

Good luck everyone!

I wonder what kind of strange mapping thing will happen to me...

So excited to start working on this. During the last week of September, I prepared six MIDIs composed by me for use in our project (three were songs I had written previously and I touched up on them, and three are completely bespoke for this project)!

And away we go! Good luck to everyone on your projects! Feel free to post updates here or on the Discord as you go.

Oh, it's october 1 already... i think it's time to reveal what i'm gonna do in this month.

Aside of a SHITTON of community project maps, my main goal for this month is to complete The Dank Levels Vol. 2. 

Out of the 7 maps i'm planning to release, 1 it's completed and 3 are in progress, i would show screenshots on this same post once i have time to use my pc.

For those who don't know, "The Dank levels" it's a collection of maps with little correlarion to one another except for the scalling difficulty.

I think that Volume 1 still holds up for me, but i learned more mapping tricks and i can make better things in less time. I made the first Volume (which contained 5 maps) in 3 months, and most of that time i wasted it in aligning textures MANUALLY, so yeah. Hope to see your projects!

Edit: as i promised, screnshots.

Spoiler

2143808937_Capturadepantalla(39).png.505c5f3d38e5103beb6e14b22a8c00fb.png819365888_Capturadepantalla(40).png.74e5df3e61a9fd289b5ab4bb5997a824.png429580726_Capturadepantalla(41).png.e2f47453bf2f113906c38b06d8b325b4.png225894264_Capturadepantalla(42).png.dce37e3b2840886e52669529209c4bfc.png

Edited by DankMetal
Screenies oh yeah

Most epic status update: I have done nothing yet.

I do have a pk3 I want to use for editing, thanks to JPL

Didn't realize a thread for this was already half a month old.

That said, I have a project in mind for this month that I hope I can get finished before the end of the month.

Oh man I really want to participate this year, but I would like to make a small request. Very close to the end of September, I had an idea for an ambush that I HAD to create in doom builder before I forgot it. I would've written it down and saved it for Nanowadmo, but I admittedly forgot that Nanowadmo was going to happen. All I have so far is this one small battle and that's really it. Would it be okay if I used that as a starting point in my Nanowadmo project? If not then that's okay, I'd be willing to start on a new thing, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask!