Spawn Cell [Now on idgames]

UAC is at it again! They've recovered samples from the IoS and begun to run biological experiments on it. Something like generating their own expendable workforce without having to worry about safety inspections or unions. It doesn't work out. You have to go in there and shut down their disaster before it grows into a catastrophe.

Spawn Cell

lvl1.png.e295db1cf3f4d63e9f62ba125f96a483.pnglvl2.png.0eb6af4b677079ea975f3fd04789cd3b.pnglvl3.png.323d769c790000f9341c2111d61e90e1.png

WAD Info

MAPS: 3 new

IWAD: Doom2

Difficulty: UV only

Map Format: Doom2 (limit removing)

Tested in: dsda-doom

Playstyle

No jumping/crouching.

4 player starts provided but not tested.

NOTE

This is not my first map but it is my first WAD. Please let me know what you think.

Edited by kvsari
Update for idgames

First map was kind of ok, but hard to say much about, the bright color scheme of the second was really nice, although I'm not sure what to say about the switch hunt in the main room. Maybe it's a little stretched out. Third map is the one people will probably like the most because of its explosiveness Really nice!

I saw this WAD wednesday when you posted it like 3 or 4 hours ago, but I did said nothing since I didn't had finished MAP03 at that time (in fact I still didn't finished it to be honest but whatever). Quality stuff here. Love the post-apocalyptic atmosphere when you go outside for the first time in MAP01.

MAP02 has an interesting level progression, I like how you pass first everything you will have to get/unlock, then the unsuspected happens… Reminds me of Going Down MAP26 that mind blow'ed me, I didn't knew this was even possible on Doom to do such things. 

GJ ! I will play and finish MAP03 maybe one day… xd

Edited by Bri0che

Haven't played the 3rd map yet, but the first two are great. I really like both the level design and the combat encounters. I should mention that the supercharge secret on map 2 seems like its impossible to tag without noclipping.

edit: just finished the 3rd map. That was awesome. Definitely was not expecting an icon of sin lol.

Edited by ja734

19 hours ago, FEDEX said:

Hi @kvsari congrat. for the release, but you better upload your file in a better file hosting site, your wad will expire in 27 days..

Thank you. Don't worry, I'll be submitting to IdGames soonish.

Here's MAP02 and boy is it wild. I was not expecting that rug-pull where the entire map suddenly opened up like that. I liked how, visually, the map made me feel like an insect running around inside a computer. Also, the restrictive nature regarding ammo makes things really stressful!

10 hours ago, kvsari said:

Thank you. Don't worry, I'll be submitting to IdGames soonish.

Perfect, one other file that will not dissapear in the sands of time :)

15 hours ago, LadyMistDragon said:

I mean...I'd put up a link if someone asked, to be honest.

I've noticed a few textures that aren't animated. I must have made a mistake when removing unused assets in slade. I'll post an update and use a longer term host.

Okay, first map is kinda mid. But the way the 2nd and 3rd opens up blew my mind. You probably want to signpost whatever gate opened up on map 2 because I was stuck for quite a while. Maybe a trail of armor or health bonuses?

Just how new are you to mapping? I'd say it's Cacoworthy at least a mention and maybe newcomer.

Edited by Serathis

• 2 weeks later...

Update to RC2.2. Top post also updated.

Changelog;

Spoiler

ALL
- Fixed various textures that weren't animating by re-introducing the swan table.

MAP01
- Sprinkled barrels.
- Changed grate door to "U" section to be red keyed on the other side locking player in.
- Added some bullets to flooded underground section.
- Made the annoying hell knight pop-up happen before the player ascends onto the machine block.
- Added monster block lines to prevent imps from wandering behind buildings.
- Reduced damage of nukage.

MAP02
- Added armour bonuses to help indicate which platforms to jump onto.
- Slightly re-arranged some ammo so as not to double up on the armour bonuses.

MAP03
- Fixed unintended route which skipped a linedef that raised the imp pit.
- Added more of those bone pillars to make the big fight in the first eye-switch a lock-in battle.
- Fixed the red columns so bumping into them at speed in -cl 2 doesn't clip into the megasphere/cell-charge-pack stored within before IoS reveal.

Not changed;

Spoiler

MAP02/MAP03
I really don't know how to make navigation easier without re-doing the whole thing. Sure lighting and bonuses help but I think the problem is a deeper structural one. I don't mind the "you need to remember where you've been" style of gameplay, so there must be a way to execute it much better than I have done so in these two maps. For next time.

RC2.1 is not uploaded because it's an internal step to not lose progress on changes whilst stumbling about in slade trying to fix the animated textures.

I want to upload to idgames soon (one week) so if there's no showstopper bug...

On 9/27/2023 at 5:38 AM, Serathis said:

Okay, first map is kinda mid. But the way the 2nd and 3rd opens up blew my mind. You probably want to signpost whatever gate opened up on map 2 because I was stuck for quite a while. Maybe a trail of armor or health bonuses?

Just how new are you to mapping? I'd say it's Cacoworthy at least a mention and maybe newcomer.

I'm not new to mapping, I've been at it for a while. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

• 3 weeks later...