Doom Rats [MBF21 Community Project] [Open slots]

this sounds like a really fun project. Sadly I have no time right now to make a map for this. But I'll be following. Good luck!

6 hours ago, SpaceCat_2001 said:

Good Luck with the project!

4 hours ago, RED77 said:

this sounds like a really fun project. Sadly I have no time right now to make a map for this. But I'll be following. Good luck!

Thank you, guys! As mentioned before, the deadline is pretty long, so feel free to come back again if you have an idea. I'll probably make one or two more maps later. Maybe even more. 

Edited by jo2ukegappy

You can count on me!
I'd like to take one of the first maps, try to make a gameplay of easy to intermediate difficulty.
The (provisional) name of the map will be "Surprises at grandma's house".

1 hour ago, The Royal We said:

You can count on me!
I'd like to take one of the first maps, try to make a gameplay of easy to intermediate difficulty.
The (provisional) name of the map will be "Surprises at grandma's house".

Good to have you onboard, The Royal We. I hope you have fun mapping!

Edited by jo2ukegappy

18 minutes ago, Craneo said:

maybe I'll participate, wanted to see how doable a RATS level was for me and I think I'm doing a decent job rn.
image.png.aab1de03c4a46a599b43234409580bf3.png

Looking like a mighty bathroom, might have to scale the ceiling up a bit. Keep it up!

Edited by jo2ukegappy

I just asked my brother for some pictures of the house, I'll post them on the OP once I get them. It would be cool to have pictures of your inspirations if possible. I'm thinking about making my grandma's house from my childhood too, but it's kind of a big place. I'd have to draw a lot from memory. I'm also working on a cathedral map and a kitchen map.

Edited by jo2ukegappy

This seems like a neat idea!  I am still relatively new to mapping, but I figured I would give this a shot, and I started work on this map tonight.  It might be a bit before I can actually finish it since I have a few other creative projects in the air (including other Doom maps) but I wanted to reserve a spot, and also to show off my progress.  I figured a rat scale perspective on a board game could be interesting.  I actually considered a few different games, but I needed a game with enough 3D elements that I could build cover out of it, but also one that was relatively easy to convert into doom graphics.  I considered Imhotep for its verticality, Root for its breadth, but ultimately I settled on Catan, which also has the advantage of being very recognizable to a lot of people.  I created a basic game board, though I might actually play a game of Catan and take its end point as inspiration for the map, since I want a layout of roads and villages that is relatively consistent with the actual game.  Also, I threw this together with the textures available in Doom 2 and the provided texture pack.  Ultimately, I could probably get some much better textures to better reflect the various hexes, and for the actual game pieces it could be useful to find some new textures, but for testing purposes this should be fine, and I didn't want to request too many custom textures.  Regardless, here's a bit of progress I have made.DoomCatan1.PNG.f9071ac1f04d5789df75d6d63e8f7a65.PNGDoomCatan2.PNG.0ce77b666d3bb5362601d665bcf707b2.PNG

6 hours ago, Chariot Rider said:

This seems like a neat idea!  I am still relatively new to mapping, but I figured I would give this a shot, and I started work on this map tonight.  It might be a bit before I can actually finish it since I have a few other creative projects in the air (including other Doom maps) but I wanted to reserve a spot, and also to show off my progress.  I figured a rat scale perspective on a board game could be interesting.  I actually considered a few different games, but I needed a game with enough 3D elements that I could build cover out of it, but also one that was relatively easy to convert into doom graphics.  I considered Imhotep for its verticality, Root for its breadth, but ultimately I settled on Catan, which also has the advantage of being very recognizable to a lot of people.  I created a basic game board, though I might actually play a game of Catan and take its end point as inspiration for the map, since I want a layout of roads and villages that is relatively consistent with the actual game.  Also, I threw this together with the textures available in Doom 2 and the provided texture pack.  Ultimately, I could probably get some much better textures to better reflect the various hexes, and for the actual game pieces it could be useful to find some new textures, but for testing purposes this should be fine, and I didn't want to request too many custom textures.  Regardless, here's a bit of progress I have made.

DoomCatan1.PNG.f9071ac1f04d5789df75d6d63e8f7a65.PNGDoomCatan2.PNG.0ce77b666d3bb5362601d665bcf707b2.PNG

Good morning, Chariot Rider. I really, really like your idea for a map. I have played catan onl a few times, therefore I'm not super knowledgeable about it, but that's a wonderful I dea. I think that for progression, instead of habing things happen on the board, they could happen inside the houses that the players place, maybe? This way we can make some rooms with teleporter lines that are bigger on the inside than they appear on the outside, and the player would have many different versions of the same map depending on the progression. Or you can just make a "realistic version of the areas, with lots of cliffs, canyons, and elevation. I can help you with that, but of course this is just a suggestion. This map actually makes me remember of a part in Psychonauts where there is a big board game structure with hexagons that resembles catan a little. You should take a look at it for ideas.

There is no problem if you want to use custom textures, just try to name them something that will not clash with the other things names. Maybe DRXXXXXX where DR stands for Doom Rats. I can help you with those if needed. Also, I'm making some mousehole textures for usage with the maps if you want to. They wil be available shortly. 

Edited by jo2ukegappy

12 hours ago, jo2ukegappy said:

Good morning, Chariot Rider. I really, really like your idea for a map. I have played catan onl a few times, therefore I'm not super knowledgeable about it, but that's a wonderful I dea. I think that for progression, instead of habing things happen on the board, they could happen inside the houses that the players place, maybe? This way we can make some rooms with teleporter lines that are bigger on the inside than they appear on the outside, and the player would have many different versions of the same map depending on the progression. Or you can just make a "realistic version of the areas, with lots of cliffs, canyons, and elevation. I can help you with that, but of course this is just a suggestion. This map actually makes me remember of a part in Psychonauts where there is a big board game structure with hexagons that resembles catan a little. You should take a look at it for ideas.

There is no problem if you want to use custom textures, just try to name them something that will not clash with the other things names. Maybe DRXXXXXX where DR stands for Doom Rats. I can help you with those if needed. Also, I'm making some mousehole textures for usage with the maps if you want to. They wil be available shortly. 

Thanks for the feedback!  I'm glad to hear that this is an idea that sounds like it has promise.  

I have been thinking a lot about how to design the progression of the map, and I like the idea of entering the houses to go to different combat arenas.  Perhaps a house on a sheep tile takes the player to a grassy field, the mountain tile to a mountain, etc.  I also had considered using the game board as a bit of a setpiece moment, where the player has to do some other things around the map outside of the game board and then they trigger the final encounter which takes place on the Catan board.  I am considering an archvile encounter, where the player has to hide behind the houses and other game pieces if they want to survive, or perhaps an encounter with waves of enemies spawning in on designated spots on the board, potentially leading to a very mobile encounter.  The question of how to add progression to this map is a bit tricky, and I had a few ideas.  Potentially I could create several game boards, and tie various upgrades to different boards.  Perhaps a super shotgun and key can be found on a monopoly board, a rocket at Catan, etc.  That would greatly increase the workload of the map, and potentially draw attention away from the Catan board.  I also have considered adding more to the table.  Perhaps players can run around the whole table to find ammo, weapons, and enemies among the snack bowls and other strewn about objects.  Ultimately, there are a lot of directions I could take, and as I develop this more I will explore which option will be best for the map.  

As for the textures, I'll try playing around with some textures.  I've made some textures for other projects, but I also won't claim to be an expert texture artist.  I'll let you know if I need some help on that front.

On 10/1/2023 at 8:42 PM, Chariot Rider said:

Thanks for the feedback!  I'm glad to hear that this is an idea that sounds like it has promise.  

I have been thinking a lot about how to design the progression of the map, and I like the idea of entering the houses to go to different combat arenas.  Perhaps a house on a sheep tile takes the player to a grassy field, the mountain tile to a mountain, etc.  I also had considered using the game board as a bit of a setpiece moment, where the player has to do some other things around the map outside of the game board and then they trigger the final encounter which takes place on the Catan board.  I am considering an archvile encounter, where the player has to hide behind the houses and other game pieces if they want to survive, or perhaps an encounter with waves of enemies spawning in on designated spots on the board, potentially leading to a very mobile encounter.  The question of how to add progression to this map is a bit tricky, and I had a few ideas.  Potentially I could create several game boards, and tie various upgrades to different boards.  Perhaps a super shotgun and key can be found on a monopoly board, a rocket at Catan, etc.  That would greatly increase the workload of the map, and potentially draw attention away from the Catan board.  I also have considered adding more to the table.  Perhaps players can run around the whole table to find ammo, weapons, and enemies among the snack bowls and other strewn about objects.  Ultimately, there are a lot of directions I could take, and as I develop this more I will explore which option will be best for the map.  

As for the textures, I'll try playing around with some textures.  I've made some textures for other projects, but I also won't claim to be an expert texture artist.  I'll let you know if I need some help on that front.

I forgot to reply and just remembered today. I've been doing a lot of things for doom and for other things. I will post this here and reply again when I get home.

Edit:

That concept of the specific tiles transporting players to different arenas, this can be really fun because it allows for cool places. I think you could also make a more puzzle map if you feel so inclined, making the player change sizes between the Catan board and a room with a table where the board is laying? Just something that I just thought. Ultimately, I think that the idea of board games for this project has a lot of potential if other mappers want to try a similar concept. 

Additionally, I've come up with many other map ideas for maps that I'll try to execute. I'll also try to do a weekly update on the thread to report some of the progress of the project. 

Edited by jo2ukegappy

This looks fun! I'm in if you'll have me. I've released two maps so far (one standalone and one as part of RAMP 2023) but I'm really into maps with big open areas and verticality so I think this is a good fit. MAP05 - Unclogged (working title).

32 minutes ago, Sikreci said:

This looks fun! I'm in if you'll have me. I've released two maps so far (one standalone and one as part of RAMP 2023) but I'm really into maps with big open areas and verticality so I think this is a good fit. MAP05 - Unclogged (working title).

Hey, Sikreci! Good to have you on board. You are more than welcome, and I hope you can have fun mapping. Would you mind telling me what was your RAMP map?, and where others can play your standalone one? 

2 minutes ago, jo2ukegappy said:

Hey, Sikreci! Good to have you on board. You are more than welcome, and I hope you can have fun mapping. Would you mind telling me what was your RAMP map?, and where others can play your standalone one? 

For RAMP 2023 I did MAP246 - Hit Da Bricks

Caesium Rift, my first released map can be found here:

29 minutes ago, Sikreci said:

For RAMP 2023 I did MAP246 - Hit Da Bricks

Caesium Rift, my first released map can be found here:

Oh, you're definitely fit for this, ahahha. I loved the verticality in your map, but I got my ass beat. Will come back to it, maybe stream it this weekend. 

Hey, just a heads-up, the 32-map Boom megawad format is outdated -- MBF21 is a newer version of Boom that's supported in all the main ports these days, and its neighbor feature UMAPINFO lets you accept any number of maps.

For community projects in particular, shooting for exactly-32-maps leads to problems -- some details from an older post of mine:

On 8/24/2023 at 10:29 AM, Xaser said:

• There's no guarantee that every person who signs up will actually make or finish a map, i.e. some slots will be empty later on
  • If all slots are claimed, you'll turn away mappers who might have otherwise finished something. This combined with the above point inevitably means you will find yourself with empty slots toward the end of the project.
  • Since mappers are working in isolation, the difficulty curve is going to be all over the place unless you reorder the maps post-submission anyway.

While it's not necessarily a bad thing to have some sort of soft limit (e.g. "20ish maps") to avoid getting swamped with submissions if it gets popular, this situation is rare in practice. You're much more likely to end up with less maps than expected, and many community and team projects have stalled out because of the whole "oh no we're less than X maps, we need more to hit the target" idea. It's an unnecessary burden-- free yourself from it.

24 minutes ago, Xaser said:

Hey, just a heads-up, the 32-map Boom megawad format is outdated -- MBF21 is a newer version of Boom that's supported in all the main ports these days, and its neighbor feature UMAPINFO lets you accept any number of maps.

For community projects in particular, shooting for exactly-32-maps leads to problems -- some details from an older post of mine:

Hey, Xaser. Good to see you here. This is my first project, so I appreciate the tip, will update it to accomodate the new standards. How easy is it to convert Boom to MBF21, in the case of the people who have already started working on the maps? Also, any good sources on how to work with UMAPINFO? Thanks in advance. 

For maps, there's no "conversion" involved at all -- the map format is the same, it's all new line specials and flags and such. Folks who have already started a map with the Boom configuration can press F2 in UDB and change the configuration to MBF21 to get the new stuff, and its backwards compatible so any maps made using the Boom config will still work just fine.

UMAPINFO docs are here:

https://github.com/kraflab/umapinfo/blob/master/docs/spec.md

There's an example close to the bottom, if you want to toss it In a lump named UMAPINFO in the wad and tinker with it from there.

Hope this helps!

I haven't updated anything about the project yet, but will do later. I want to thank the many people who have joined the project already. Hope many more come soon. Will finally finish my map with a twist version for this and also add some more textures for others to use. I'll also start making some mousehole textures using base doom textures, if you want a specific texture to have a mousehole, you can ask for it here. Meanwhile, have a Doom Rat.

57c.jpg.d2dcc235a12b4d8d1b5f5e8deff33610.jpg

Edited by jo2ukegappy

I have been making some slow but steady progress on my map in my free time, but I haven't posted many updates about it.  Last night I put together a set of textures for my the dice that are going to be on my map.  I made versions of the textures in 32 and 64 pixel sizes because I don't know exactly how big I want my dice to be yet.  I haven't implemented them into my map yet because I am taking this opportunity to learn Slade to make my own texture wads, but I'm still figuring out how that program works and lumps and all that stuff.  I have made red dice, yellow dice, and I made standard white dice.  Here is a look at the textures as they currently exist, and I'll post the texture wad as soon as I can in case they would be useful for others.  

RD1BIG.pngRD2BIG.pngRD3BIG.pngRD4BIG.pngRD5BIG.pngRD6BIG.png

YD1BIG.png.9e57869f0a191ba590defe6897dc5e89.pngYD2BIG.png.444d146c9ca5ad817797f7e375ce6232.pngYD3BIG.png.c2845ecebd7fc7d6dd61e7911d624818.pngYD4BIG.png.3aaaedf976149058deff524ca202f114.pngYD5BIG.png.beb8c247178ed69f532a708aa8809c7a.pngYD6BIG.png.021dd4b969984cb9e58317f8a6ea28e8.png

WBD1BIG.png.80a21b599892d48269b0fae5ad719704.pngWBD2BIG.png.5964b182bb8448d586c84e830d6f666d.pngWBD3BIG.png.20651cfca06c474acb1baf913b9f7ea2.pngWBD4BIG.png.10d951531defb5fa4000d1665cc879ff.pngWBD5BIG.png.e48d897a6569be578978754b7e0ef71f.pngWBD6BIG.png.1bccbcbf73ec6fa3d7831bce8000f80f.png

Edited by Chariot Rider

47 minutes ago, Chariot Rider said:

I have been making some slow but steady progress on my map in my free time, but I haven't posted many updates about it.  Last night I put together a set of textures for my the dice that are going to be on my map.  I made versions of the textures in 32 and 64 pixel sizes because I don't know exactly how big I want my dice to be yet.  I haven't implemented them into my map yet because I am taking this opportunity to learn Slade to make my own texture wads, but I'm still figuring out how that program works and lumps and all that stuff.  I have made red dice, yellow dice, and I made standard white dice.  Here is a look at the textures as they currently exist, and I'll post the texture wad as soon as I can in case they would be useful for others.  

RD1BIG.pngRD2BIG.pngRD3BIG.pngRD4BIG.pngRD5BIG.pngRD6BIG.png

YD1BIG.png.9e57869f0a191ba590defe6897dc5e89.pngYD2BIG.png.444d146c9ca5ad817797f7e375ce6232.pngYD3BIG.png.c2845ecebd7fc7d6dd61e7911d624818.pngYD4BIG.png.3aaaedf976149058deff524ca202f114.pngYD5BIG.png.beb8c247178ed69f532a708aa8809c7a.pngYD6BIG.png.021dd4b969984cb9e58317f8a6ea28e8.png

WBD1BIG.png.80a21b599892d48269b0fae5ad719704.pngWBD2BIG.png.5964b182bb8448d586c84e830d6f666d.pngWBD3BIG.png.20651cfca06c474acb1baf913b9f7ea2.pngWBD4BIG.png.10d951531defb5fa4000d1665cc879ff.pngWBD5BIG.png.e48d897a6569be578978754b7e0ef71f.pngWBD6BIG.png.1bccbcbf73ec6fa3d7831bce8000f80f.png

These look amazing, Chariot rider! Might I request some color variants? I'd like to see a dark blue and dark green die. Also, my I incorporate this on the texture pack for this project? I hadn't thought about making custom textures for big things like these. I will make some box textures for a depot map I'll create but for now that's it. 

If you need help with textures, we can talk in the DMs. I've cracked my head a bit and am a bit more familiar with the program and how Doom textures work now, though no expert.

Edited by jo2ukegappy

23 minutes ago, jo2ukegappy said:

These look amazing, Chariot rider! Might I request some color variants? I'd like to see a dark blue and dark green die. Also, my I incorporate this on the texture pack for this project? I hadn't thought about making custom textures for big things like these. I will make some box textures for a depot map I'll create but for now that's it. 

If you need help with textures, we can talk in the DMs. I've cracked my head a bit and am a bit more familiar with the program and how Doom textures work now, though no expert.

Absolutely feel free to incorporate it into the texture pack for this project!  I'll make some green and blue dice as well.  I've had a lot of writing work to finish, but that is behind me now so I have a bit more time to properly sit down and experiment with Slade.  I will try to get the texture wad created this evening, though if it takes longer I might reach out for help.

On 10/6/2023 at 3:23 PM, Xaser said:

Where there's a CP, there's a Xaser letting the manager know that they can make more than 32 maps :^)

Good news!  I have gotten the dice textures working in the wad format.  I still need to add the requested dice colors, and I might throw in some others as well for good measure.  For now, here's how they look in the editor.  The full dice wad should be posted soon.  DoomDice.PNG.ffc58652454b18a75b0205d5b505e320.PNG

2 hours ago, Ludi said:

Where there's a CP, there's a Xaser letting the manager know that they can make more than 32 maps :^)

Just doing my civic duty. :P

2 hours ago, Chariot Rider said:

Good news!  I have gotten the dice textures working in the wad format.  I still need to add the requested dice colors, and I might throw in some others as well for good measure.  For now, here's how they look in the editor.  The full dice wad should be posted soon.  DoomDice.PNG.ffc58652454b18a75b0205d5b505e320.PNG

They look so good!

Here is the full Dice lineup.  Dice come in white, red, yellow, blue, green, and pink varieties.  Unfortunately, there are a few limitations with the current implementation of the flats that stem from the nature of the Boom format.   Offset cannot be applied to flats in the boom format, meaning that if the dice aren't placed in a specific way the top texture can become misaligned.  This also means that rotating dice can cause the top to become misaligned, though this could be worked around with some clever placement, especially if the 1 side is on top because that side isn't as impacted by rotation as the others.  Regardless, I'd love to see how other people can work these textures into their maps.

DoomDice2.PNG.632d2e02a0225f6f2da5e01ac8f1ebe0.PNG

DiceTextures.zip