Nostalgia 2 - now on idgames! [32 Maps] [Doom 2 Format] [Limit Removing]

Well it didn't take long for some folks to find some bugs that warrant an RC2 version. See the OP for the updated link.

- Fixed a softlock in map 11 caused by riding the pillars up near the yellow key door
- Fixed a softlock on map 29 when playing in CL2

- Fixed an issue in map 32 where a floor would not lower properly due to actors being stuck

- Updated ENDOOM screen (RC1 used an older version that has since been updated)

Thanks for all the kind words, hope you guys enjoy the set.

I didn't see where anyone mentioned the possible softlocks in maps 02 and 03.

MAP02 - Tag 17 lift to secret RocketLauncher is S1 on both inside walls if you stay there.

MAP03 - Tag 10 escape lift switch from secret Blue Armor is S1.

Both should be SR or could stay S1, but then change action to LowerFloorToLowestAdjacentFloor.

Just got to MAP04. Having fun.

Played through map 32 just now. Super fun stuff! Seems a little harder than the first Nostalgia, but I didn't die until map 31 on UV (I died on map 12 in the original). Outside of the increased difficulty, this isn't too different from the original in terms of level flow and general design, but the new textures make it feel different and fresh enough. If you liked the original, you'll enjoy this as well! 

When I was playing through Nostalgia 1 I kept on feeling like I was yearning for more as I finished each map. 

Hopefully this scratches that itch!

I genuinely look forward to it.

First ten maps were phenomenal, I genuinely don't know how you do it at your pace.

I won't repeat anyone else's bugs from what I found:

Spoiler

Map 03:
-Berserk secret is bumpable through the wall

Map 04:
-I think I linedef skipped the first lowering to reveal the zombies in the opening seconds

Map 10:
-A couple Candles in the northeast room sometimes sit on the ledge, which seem inconsistent

Up to map 16, and this is a fantastic set of maps.

Dubbing it Nostalgia 2 feels a bit misleading though - whereas the first entry in the series riffed hard off OG Doom, this one is more modern-looking. Cute combat's still there of course. Except map 32 lmao

6 minutes ago, Firedust said:

Up to map 16, and this is a fantastic set of maps.

Dubbing it Nostalgia 2 feels a bit misleading though - whereas the first entry in the series riffed hard off OG Doom, this one is more modern-looking. Cute combat's still there of course. Except map 32 lmao

Glad you're enjoying the set. I did sort of get, uh, carried away in terms of the balance between throwback and modern. Don't worry though, the next solo project you see from me will be a bit more focused.

5 hours ago, myolden said:

the next solo project you see from me will be a bit more focused.

If this is another full-format megawad on 32 levels then I am ready to accept it and play it, even if it is not too focused... Both Nostalgias gave me considerable pleasure.

By the way, will it be possible to expect to see, for example, The Ultimate Nostalgia someday? With 4 episodes and 36 maps? :D

Alright, I'm done! Beat the mapset over two sessions, just couldn't stop playing until I beat it - that's how good it is!

Btw I completely disagree with you calling this one inconsistent - I love the episodic split, which coincidentally facilitates the narrative of poor doomguy's travel this time round. The one thing that is however inconsistent (this is a minor nitpick) is the random difficulty spike that occurs during the hell caves episode. Why is it so much harder than everything else? Someone must've pissed you off when you were making it lmao

I did find the episode after very cute, never expected hell town to look this adorable haha

13 minutes ago, Firedust said:

Alright, I'm done! Beat the mapset over two sessions, just couldn't stop playing until I beat it - that's how good it is!

Btw I completely disagree with you calling this one inconsistent - I love the episodic split, which coincidentally facilitates the narrative of poor doomguy's travel this time round. The one thing that is however inconsistent (this is a minor nitpick) is the random difficulty spike that occurs during the hell caves episode. Why is it so much harder than everything else? Someone must've pissed you off when you were making it lmao

I did find the episode after very cute, never expected hell town to look this adorable haha

The difficulty spike may or may not have something to do with another project I'm working on. I fear there may have been some cross-contamination...

39 minutes ago, myolden said:

The difficulty spike may or may not have something to do with another project I'm working on. I fear there may have been some cross-contamination...

I knew aom made its way into nostalgia2 a bit... and now my suspicions are confirmed along with aom2, oh yes.

Just now, Ravendesk said:

I knew aom made its way into nostalgia2 a bit... and now my suspicions are confirmed along with aom2, oh yes.

The Bad News: Altars of Madness 2 was in development and was scrapped.

The Good News: The maps developed for AoM2 were recycled into another project that is sure to be more.... substantial.

As of now I cannot elaborate on that.

56 minutes ago, BluePineapple72 said:

Nostalgia 3?

There can never be enough trips down memory lane. The bittersweet warmth that fills your chest over the course of each journey is inimitable and irreplaceable.

Also, I just realised - the first Nostalgia had a basketball court too iirc

Myolden plays basketball confirmed?

Edited by Firedust

5 minutes ago, Firedust said:

Myolden plays basketball confirmed?

Nah, I just think it looks cool in the Doom engine.

Went through the first 20 maps tonight, having an absolute blast with it.  Great looking maps, finely tuned fights, amazing use of space.  You make it look so effortless.  Very much looking forward to the last third, great job!

I thoroughly enjoyed the first one, and I'm enjoying this one even more. I really like the episodic structure which allows for variety in the environments. Currently on map 13. Excellent wad!

P.S. I couldn't figure out how to get the RL in map 2 and the megaarmor in map 3. I saw they were secrets though. Some linedef issues?

1 hour ago, DreadWanderer said:

P.S. I couldn't figure out how to get the RL in map 2 and the megaarmor in map 3. I saw they were secrets though. Some linedef issues?

Spoiler

The trigger for the RL in map 02 is running over the waterfall near where the red key was. Listen when you jump down and you should be able to hear it lower. This is a timed lift, so you'll have to rush back to the start to get it.

In map 03 there is a monster closet that opens after you get the blue key to the right of the door leaving that room. There's a switch in there, press it and the lift will lower.

2 hours ago, myolden said:
  Hide contents

The trigger for the RL in map 02 is running over the waterfall near where the red key was. Listen when you jump down and you should be able to hear it lower. This is a timed lift, so you'll have to rush back to the start to get it.

In map 03 there is a monster closet that opens after you get the blue key to the right of the door leaving that room. There's a switch in there, press it and the lift will lower.

Interesting, thank you. Sadly I can't seem to get them to work.

Running it on DSDA 0.26.2, complevel 2.

Edited by DreadWanderer

1 hour ago, DreadWanderer said:

Interesting, thank you. Sadly I can't seem to get them to work.

Running it on DSDA 0.26.2, complevel 2.

Hmmm, that is very strange. I'm not sure what could cause this.

25 minutes ago, myolden said:

Hmmm, that is very strange. I'm not sure what could cause this.

I'll do more testing, thanks anyway!

Edit: Yeah nevermind, I figured it out in map 2 by looking at UDB, I was on the wrong waterfall. Finally found the switch in map 3, very well hidden.

Edited by DreadWanderer

Blazed through it in 3 days. I really enjoyed original Nostalgia, but the sequel improves everything - richer visuals, interesting layouts and more vicious combat. Secret maps are a treat (gonna contradict the intermission text here, UFO looks nice). This megawad kicks ass, figuratively and literally - "flesh" episode is brutal on UV. You've got yourself a new fan, myolden.

P.S.: found this visual flop in monster closet on MAP16, appears only in GZDoom though.

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20230928_133940.png.8af0ddae1d4315358d9229a806b05973.png

Small quibble, but in map 05 I didn't know there was a rocket launcher until I did IDDT to check the automap. maybe make it a bit more visible?