Game that everybody likes but you dislike

On 12/12/2023 at 6:22 AM, Pegg said:

I didn't say it single handedly killed the game which was already a mess, it was a nice conclusion to a long period of TF2 bot messes and drama.

I didn't mean to imply that's what you believed--it's just interesting to me, looking in as an outsider who left the game behind a long time ago and really wanted a ranked matchmaking system. For me, Mann Vs. Machine killed my interest in the game. I didn't enjoy the mode, and TF2's player count was already waning, so MvM spread the good players even thinner. I did a stint of Competitive play before MvM and didn't care for it, but at the same time I was losing interest in topping the scoreboard of nearly every game I played. The few community servers I did enjoy became ghost towns around that time or just places the regulars gathered between MvM lobbies.

By the time I did have an itch to play TF2 again, Overwatch was well established and was arguably doing the same gameplay better, with ranked matchmaking, so I just played that instead.

Chess. I'm too impatient for it, but it's easier and more believable to just say that i'm too stupid for it instead of wanting to sit down and learn openings and whatnot.

From experience, the latter makes people less inclined to try and teach me and all that.

Chances are tho, that that's just copium and that I really am too damn dumb for it, but I like to think that if I actually did sit down, that I'd get decent at it.

Ah well. A mystery forever.

Every single turn based RPG that exists. I'd rather read these stories instead of playing a glorified ms excel tab.image.png.b1f0b4f09c7b55e9d3cbaa512d377af4.png

On 12/17/2023 at 5:35 PM, Lofwyr said:

Chess. I'm too impatient for it, but it's easier and more believable to just say that i'm too stupid for it instead of wanting to sit down and learn openings and whatnot.

"I hate chess" -- Bobby Fisher:

Spoiler

I've always been "nearly interested" in chess, but I've noticed in recent years that as computers have transformed the game into something more purely athletic, it's become something of a bro pastime.

I could never get behind The Witcher 3. I enjoyed the first two games, and I love open world games, but TW3 was so unbelievably janky combat and RPG-wise that I felt it wasn't worth dealing with that. Excellent writing and characters and everything but seeing as I spend a lot of my time fighting bandits or monsters and it didn't feel good? Hard pass. I think furthest I got was Skellige.

Ohh, right, I just thought of an actual videogame series that I don't like (and therefore don't usually think about).

The entire souls franchise as well as Elden Ring. I was turned off of it after playing Dark Souls 1 and found it to be completely bat shit nonsense that almost felt like combative (as in, trying to attack/wound) cultural satire to me.

The gameplay was good, very good, but the entire setting was almost offensive in how warped and nonsensically caricatured of the west it was.

I was able endure it, though, until I arrived at underground angkor wat.

I dropped it there and have not touched any of the western psychosis games Miyazaki fever dreamed up since.

Now, I realize that this is a very VERY beloved franchise, but if it were turned around to Japan then straight up recreating Takeshis castle with nonsense weapons would STILL be more subtle and tame than any of the souls/elden ring gmes.

In fact I have a hard time coming up with things as nonsensical as that, probably why games made in the west about Japan are usually very accurate and careful.

Probably consulting experts in flute playing and the like isntead of I dunno, creating a bagpipe shakuhachi that's played with the ass or something, wielded by a giant sumo wrestler wearing a completely insane samurai armor festooned with wiggly phallic shapes from whose tips dangle US truck nuts or something.

Ok, guess I can think of something after all, but not more than that. I have ONE! (1) Smough equivalent now, nothing else. I can't go insane-oh enough to fill in the rest.

P.S.:
No, really, if you consider my post too contentious, try conceptualizing Japanese Dark Souls, Sekiro doesn't cut it, it's too close to reality, it's just flashy and has supernatural foes.

It's gotta be as insane as DS.

Good luck trying to pull that off, I'd almost say I can guarantee it that you'd be more respectful and gravitating towards real lore and culture than fromsoft is toward the west with the souls stuff.

Edited by Lofwyr

9 hours ago, Lofwyr said:

Ohh, right, I just thought of an actual videogame series that I don't like (and therefore don't usually think about).

The entire souls franchise as well as Elden Ring. I was turned off of it after playing Dark Souls 1 and found it to be completely bat shit nonsense that almost felt like combative (as in, trying to attack/wound) cultural satire to me.

I didn't really think about it enough to draw that conclusion, I just know that the absolute worst thing about all those games is the "narrative."

They have no narrative, they have nothing I respect as a narrative. I literally give that stuff 0/10 because there is nothing to give a score to. Lore? Fuck off with your lore, lore is not fucking storytelling!

Dark Souls 1 in particular I think has a worse story than Doom 1 because at least Doom 1 makes the protagonist's motivation clear, and DS doesn't even bother with that. 

Which is why I kinda had to rate them just on the play experience and DS1 was frustrating and uneven and at times absolute unfinished garbage. Dark Souls 2, the issue with that is it was a lot more polished and less frustrating and more even, like some major improvements I'm sure factored into the later games, but it was kind of dull without the stuff that was anger inducing.

I didn't try any until Elden Ring. Which I dunno, is an open world game? I don't think the choice of doing that was an improvement. It did nothing for Zelda to me that's for sure. I didn't think the combat was much better and I was never too impressed with that. After the Leonidas Misbegotten fight I stopped playing. I beat it on my fourth try but the fight was so obnoxious and stress inducing, I went back to just hating everything about FROM's games. And the people who encourage them by mistaking overwrought difficulty with quality difficulty. 

Overall I just fucking miss pre BotW Zelda and Legacy of Kain. We don't get classic narrative driven action adventure games anymore, and those are a 100x the games FROM could ever make on their best day. 

Any sports games.

Any MOBA games.

Any RTS games.

Any fighting games.

Any survival games.

I've played MOBA and RTS games and i just don't like them. I just simply do not enjoy them.

Sports and survival games- i'm getting bored after 10 minutes of playing the games.

Fighting games- I'm lazy to remember all those combos and buttons to press... It's just not enjoyable for me.

Edited by Aquarium
Wrong typing.

On 12/21/2023 at 7:15 AM, Aquarium said:

Any sports games.

Any MOBA games.

Any RTS games.

Any fighting games.

Any survival games.

I've played MOBA and RTS games and i just don't like them. I just simply do not enjoy them.

Sports and survival games- i'm getting bored after 10 minutes of playing the games.

Fighting games- I'm lazy to remember all those combos and buttons to press... It's just not enjoyable for me.

Exactly the same for me, save for the fact that I don't mind some light survival elements in some games, and I used to like Warcraft 3. I would probably add "most racing games" to the list too, as well as grand strategy games.

On 10/10/2023 at 8:10 AM, Lina said:

Doom Eternal, but I don't know if that'd be an uncommon opinion on DW specifically. I hate everything about it, from writing to enemy and encounter design to level layouts to the soundtrack to the irreversible brutal doomification of mainline doom. I don't have the same animosity toward brutal doom because while it's not for me, it's a passion project. Doom 2016 was more overall enjoyable, but in retrospect it's because id/bethesda hadn't fully figured out the 'all combat is running to the next highest priority target and dropping a combo on it. also sometimes platforming' formula.

Ugh, Doom Eternal. I hate thinking about it. I think it has some nice design but overall it's the worst Doom Game to date. I played 8 hours and I have no more interest in it. So much of it just doesn't jive with me. Fake infighting, arena battles, dashing through the air, glory kill overkill, platforming, etc... I didn't even get to all that lore crap with angels and junk. I liked my doom better when the demons and hell were more mysterious. It shouldn't be that hard to come up with a new doom game but I don't have much if any faith in nu-id.

Japanese horror games...

Most of them are trash, and the exceptions like Resident Evil and Silent are good because western inspiration.

Japs can't do horror.

• 1 month later...
On 12/17/2023 at 3:35 PM, Lofwyr said:

From experience, the latter makes people less inclined to try and teach me and all that.

Chances are tho, that that's just copium and that I really am too damn dumb for it, but I like to think that if I actually did sit down, that I'd get decent at it.

Ah well. A mystery forever.

I prefer checkers honestly so I agree ig

On 12/19/2023 at 6:56 AM, fishy said:

Every single turn based RPG that exists. I'd rather read these stories instead of playing a glorified ms excel tab.image.png.b1f0b4f09c7b55e9d3cbaa512d377af4.png

“Big tit princess” “Glorified MS Excel tab” it’s hilarious! I think I have played at least 1 JRPG in my life. In fact, isn’t Deltarune one? Either way, I have definitely seen YouTubers play JRPGs before, and the “Big tit princess” thing has definitely been used in many JRPGs. Not Deltarube though (if it is a JRPG).

3 hours ago, DiceByte said:

I think I have played at least 1 JRPG in my life. In fact, isn’t Deltarune one? Either way, I have definitely seen YouTubers play JRPGs before, and the “Big tit princess” thing has definitely been used in many JRPGs. Not Deltarube though (if it is a JRPG).

JRPG's were extremely obscure until Tobiyaka Fox-san made Undertale and Deltarune. FFVII was so underground that they only made ten more of them until Deltarune came out.

1 hour ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

JRPG's were extremely obscure until Tobiyaka Fox-san made Undertale and Deltarune. FFVII was so underground that they only made ten more of them until Deltarune came out.

And six of them before!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2024 at 5:20 PM, DiceByte said:

“Big tit princess” “Glorified MS Excel tab” it’s hilarious! I think I have played at least 1 JRPG in my life. In fact, isn’t Deltarune one? Either way, I have definitely seen YouTubers play JRPGs before, and the “Big tit princess” thing has definitely been used in many JRPGs. Not Deltarube though (if it is a JRPG).

I would like to say that Deltarune is a non-rpg disguised as an RPG, the whole theme of the game is “your choices don’t matter” and while it does deviate from that a bit (ex: chapter 2’s snowgrave route) it still doesn’t affect the major plot points of the game

And Deltarune feels more like a regula RPG than a Jrpg

not trying to start a riot just saying

• 4 weeks later...

Dark Souls, Hollow Knight, Starfield, Terraria, Monster Hunter

I think it's mainly because of the farming that they force me to do in several of these games.

I only dislike Hollow Knight because they sold it to me as the best in the world but... you know, they went too far with the "perfection" (they basically exaggerated things a lot)

Dark Souls certainly is its difficulty (i dont like the Hard Games because i'm very bad in any game)

Rockstar games. GTA V, RDR2, etc. The story and world immersion is typically always pretty robust. Unfortunately the gameplay itself just bores me

4 hours ago, Serum said:

Rockstar games. GTA V, RDR2, etc. The story and world immersion is typically always pretty robust. Unfortunately the gameplay itself just bores me

Weirdly, I'm in the same boat. I've watched friends and family while they play and the characters are always amazing. I try and play and I'm falling asleep. The ragdolling and third person shooting are really unegaging to me. 

This likely applies here more than other spaces, but Wolfenstein 3D fucking sucks. I played it back in '93 and loved it, but rarely returned to it once Doom, Build shooters and Quake became a thing. It has the same fundamental problem as platformers before the advent of complex surfaces: you're bound to a grid, so there's almost no potential for topographical variety. 

id Software managed a competent game, but not a particularly fun one. In addition to its sterile, boring level design, barebones interaction, and plain look, the controls are a product of their time and thus actually moving and engaging with combat is awkward and irritating. 1992 just wasn't the time to do this. Personal computers had to do everything through software, and without sufficient clockspeed or RAM, your "3D" game had to be significantly scaled back. 

Never been a fan of POSTAL 4: No Regerts, if that counts. I've been seeing a lot of people in different spaces praise it, but to me, the game is just criminally boring. The many updates to it are just fluff to a game that is lacking in both spirit and competence, as the game itself doesn't allow for any sort of solutions you may have that aren't the intended solution. Doesn't help that the game looks like a UE4 asset flip, once you get past the initial "wow!" factor.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Here are some of mine...

Azure Striker Gunvolt (and Mighty Gunvolt) series

Spoiler

The Gunvolt franchise as a whole is one of the most overrated video games to come from Inti Creates if you ask me. While I don't think these are necessarily bad games in of themselves, but it's the undeserved circlejerk and its fans evangelizing the series as "the true successor to Mega Man" especially after Mighty No. 9 perpetually "ruined their prom nights" and didn't meet their shitty expectations that irks me the most. The story isn't anything to write home about, it's about as animu as you can get from ex-Capcom staff members, I found most of the characters boring (especially Gunvolt himself being the most vanilla anime protagonist version of Zero mixed with SAO's Kirito's overpowered bullshit, and the most of the Sumeragi goons from the first game), the game's so called "world building" to be meaningless fluff, and the setting just feels like a more generic version of Psychic Force's story, which itself was basically X-Men but with psychic. It baffles me that someone thinks that this series is somehow a "commentary" on Japanese idol culture, but I mostly see is just anime bullshit after anime bullshit with this game's writing, especially after they basically took everything that was established in the first two games and threw it out the window with its third game. Then there's the gameplay, and honestly I think this game, while not bad as a score attack type of game, it is a HUGE step down compared to the depth that Mega Man Zero and ZX games had and not to mention manages to take some of the worst aspects of Zero 1 and multiply it with its psuedo-RPG mechanics and how it handles upgrades. Not to mention if you really wanted to get the abilities that you really wanted, you pretty much have to grind levels and pray that you get the materials and money need to craft the gear if you wish to explore their abilities, or worse, rely on RNG with its psuedo-gacha system in Gunvolt 3. Gunvolt is pretty much limited to his bolt (and in 2, clip) types, most of which are underwhelming to use, his flashfield attack, and special skills, meanwhile in Mega Man Zero you can get different weapons that with their own set of skills that you can learn, different forms that mixes up your abilities,  and cyber-elves that augment your stats or help you out (albeit for a price), while in the ZX games you had transformations that give you various abilities and weapons you can mess with similarly to what you can find in Demon's Crest. Copen at least in Gunvolt 2 and Luminous Avenger iX 1 is more interesting where he at least plays similarly to X with a mix of Rocket Knight Adventures. That and unlike Gunvolt, vanilla animu protag No. 7814, Copen despite being an asshole to the Adapts at least he has a personality and character with a background that goes into why he's the way he is... up until they made him to vanilla animu protag No. 7815 in Luminous Avenger iX and its sequel.

The level design in these games aren't that amazing and aren't tailored to make full advantage of your characters' abilities in Gunvolt at best or don't do something creative enough to put you out of your element at worst. The first game is the worst offender to me with levels that either rely on gimmicks or badly designed puzzles, not to mention the whole "collect the 8 Chaos Emeralds McGuffins to get the true ending" in the levels felt like padding. And getting back to the subject of "worldbuilding" with Gunvolt, there's nothing really to do with these games other than take the missions to advance the story or do challenges, yet Mega Man Zero and ZX (especially the latter) not only had explorable interconnected areas, but some of those places are populated with Reploids and human people who you can converse with other than just the few you're stuck with in Gunvolt. After being forcibly spoon-feed bullshit hype about this series, especially after pointing out or criticize the issues with these games and how these fans go out of their way attack me not buying into their narrative of accepting this overrated series as Mega Man's "true successor" is why I would rather stick to Mighty No. 9 despite its own problems and Inafune's mismanagement. Also gotta love the double standards of how those sheep when they have this unhealthy obsession to shit on Inafune for any excuse they can come up with but have no problem supporting these games which he worked on most of them (something that even Inafune sly called the Gunvolt fans out on). Then again, I can probably laugh at these clowns now seeing how Inti basically admitted they have gone creatively bankrupt with these series and their new rhythm Gunvolt game isn't doing so well outside of its circlejerking fanbase. You reap what you sow, Gunvolt stands...

TL;DR version: To me the Gunvolt series is an overrated series that have less in common with the Mega Man games I grew up with and don't even remotely hold a candle to what those games have, and it is most certainly not the "true Mega Man successor" that its fanbase thanks to its bland story and characters, convoluted RPG mechanics and stupid gacha elements, padding, under utilized combat and platforming, and the lack of depth compared to Zero and ZX or any of the Mega Man game's innovations.

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

Spoiler

Similarly to Gunvolt, I think this game is overrated and a lot of its shallow praises comes from angry losers and perpetual butthurt of Mighty No. 9 not meeting their expectations. Bloodstained feels like what Dark Souls 3 is to the Souls series in that it tries to be a "greatest hits" of Igarashi's earlier games... and to me it doesn't gel as well as someone who has played previous metroidvanias from Castlevania. The graphics don't have the kind of atmosphere that the earlier Castlevania games have with how bright everything looks and shiny everything looks with the typical Unreal Engine 4 sheen all over it, the level design isn't as great as previous metroidvania games Iga worked on, and the convoluted crafting system artificially pads out the game's pacing at least for causal playthroughs. The game's whole dress-up gimmick is really underwhelming since you don't have a glamour slots or something similar to really take advantage of dressing Miriam with different pieces of gear unless you're fine with making yourself weaker, not to mention you can't really change her default outfit either outside of her Valkyrie set but even then that's mainly a palette swap of her default costume. Progression doesn't feel as cohesive as other Igavania games and often I got myself lost in what to do in how to advance in the game unless the game just spill the beans for you. The way people treat this game as the game that "saved crowdfunding for games" because they delude themselves into thinking it's perfect in everyway as an Igavania successor irritates me to no end. "It delivered everything what it promised." Bullshit it did, the project didn't fulfill everything it promised, not the Roguelike mode (which sadly got Iga death threats from unhinged losers on the backer comments) and the Randomizer in its place don't always work, Inti Creates thanks to their pro-DRM attitude screwed backers like me who wanted a DRM-free version of Curse of the Moon on PC through GOG, the devs are taking their sweet time getting all of the promised features of the game throughout the span of 5 years now (and to the detriment of backers who wanted a physical PC copy of the game), and those who wanted a Mac and Linux version got screwed over when those versions not only got canceled but those backers never got refunded either. While I don't think Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night is a bad game, it's honestly mediocre and doesn't compare to the likes of Order of Ecclesia, Portrait of Ruin, or Aria of Sorrow in my eyes, and neither is it as fun as something like Dust: An Elysian Tail, Shadow Complex, Rabi-Ribi, or Bunny Must Die: Chelsea and the 7 Devils.

TL;DR version: This game is not the Kickstarter darling people make this out to be in my eyes, especially not thanks to the problems with its own Kickstarter as a slack-backer myself yet these people want to gloss over or pretend it doesn't matter because "the game is so good", yet the game is not anywhere near as good or enjoyable as other Metroidvanias I've played or Igarashi's other Castlevania games.

Resident Evil 4 Remake: From what I tried from the demo, it's not as fun or as engaging compared to the original, and I don't think it has the kind of personality and charm the original has either.

Final Fantasy VII Remake: Also from something I tried from a demo and the first impressions aren't that good and from what I saw from others playing this remake it doesn't look like a good one.

Mega Man X DiVE: God this franchise didn't need any gacha crap, yet here we are and people just eat this game up. This game honestly plays almost worse than Mega Man X7, bad difficulty curve, grindy as hell, and a waste of potential and time in my opinion.

Overwatch and Overwatch 2: I used to like the first game, but I got sick of it. Shit balance, bad monetization scheme, lies about its features, and other things I don't want to get into that pisses me off with this game.

Expect reaction: 

Edited by AmethystViper
Corrections and fixes.

On 3/19/2024 at 5:17 AM, EraserheadBaby said:

Pokemon.  Just the concept of training an animal to do your fighting for you is not for me.

I have never, and will never, understand the appeal of Pokemon in any of it's guises.

3 hours ago, AmethystViper said:

Final Fantasy VII Remake: Also from something I tried from a demo and the first impressions aren't that good and from what I saw from others playing this remake it doesn't look like a good one.

No nostalgia for the game on my part, but I thought I'd watch a buddy stream it and I just couldn't after a while. Linear corridor with an occasional item to pick up, followed by an exquisitely-rendered and painfully long cut scene to inch the plot along, another corridor, a battle, another corridor, another cutscene. It might very well have been how my friend was playing, or the area they were in, but it felt excruciatingly drawn out to achieve bugger all of nothing.

The moment I peaced-out was where a cutscene mentioned that the characters had to descend the catwalks they were on and get to the factory floor, so they should investigate the area. Only the world is hyper-detailed, so an interactive part of the scenery wasn't immediately obvious as the player wandered about. But before they could interact with the environment, the NPCs started to spout off about a likely spot, actually indistinguishable from the rest of the background, and then a big flashing highlight popped up to tell the player where to Push Button. And the reward was... another cutscene showing the excruciatingly-detailed characters descending. It was so achingly desperate to show off the cool environment and animations and so terrified that the player might have had a frontal lobotomy before playing and miss out on the cool set-piece they'd concocted.

I respect Souls games and understand why people like them, but I don't personally enjoy them. The only Soulslike I got any enjoyment out of was Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty, and the story did a lot of the heavy lifting there.

I haven't enjoyed a Smash Bros game since the N64. Again, I get why people do, but it just doesn't interest me.

Fire Emblem: Engage is not universally liked, but its story is crap enough that I see it as a vapid, nostalgia bait-shaped stain on the series rather than the "love letter" that hardcore fans seem to think it is.

25 minutes ago, bofu said:

I respect Souls games and understand why people like them, but I don't personally enjoy them. The only Soulslike I got any enjoyment out of was Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty, and the story did a lot of the heavy lifting there.

Never gave them much of a chance, but also never clicked with them until playing Elden Rang with some mates. I definitely enjoy them more as an experience with friends, but I can at least say I'm open to going back to older titles in their catalogue now. The antagonistic side of From's online experience, though? That can absolutely go die in a fire. I just want to pass this section with my buddies, not be harassed by twelve year olds with uber-l33t builds and shitty netcode.

On 10/9/2023 at 9:17 PM, Rudolph said:

BioShock. I have gotten over my (extreme) disappointment of finding out that it was not the System Shock 2 spiritual successor it was meant to be, but even after all that time and approaching the game with a more open heart, I just cannot bring myself to like it: the game just does not feel like a good shooter to begin with. Also, I find the story to be too often pretentious and needlessly mean-spirited, and like too many attempts at satirizing a topic, a group or a specific person, it ends up accidentally glorifying it.

This is exactly what i think about the first BioShock in general.

I did like BioShock 2 though, even with its flaws, it's DLC is worth the shot! unlike the actual "sequel"... everything mentioned about the first game gets worst with BioShock Infinite.