Godless Night [GZDoom episode || RC1 11/29/2023]

I finished it last night, I actually enjoyed a lot than I anticipated, I've never played Supercharge until now, I've heard of it before and seen gameplay of it a little. It gave me some time to get used to their new attack patterns which I wasn't familiar with, but I still got annoyed from the Wicked a little. The visuals is where it took me, although I've never played any of the Castlevania series, but I can see the visuals that inspired you to make this, the skyboxes were stunning, and the 3D floors and the architecture are amazing of what you can make out for GZDoom. I did this in Casual, mainly the reason because I wasn't familiar with the Supercharge combat. But I'll play this again in Medium when RC2 comes out.

But I did found a visual bug in Gardens of Mechanus in GZDoom 4.11.3.
Screenshot_Doom_20231202_112216.png.1cf3b569df5d0a66d7114926650ff9ac.pngScreenshot_Doom_20231202_112117.png.2c348c69d4a08ddd45ecb0426fb1a82d.pngScreenshot_Doom_20231202_112156.png.6a0b1a99ffadb120f167ea411cff0f09.png

Whenever I walked closely to this affected sector on a specific angle, half of the sector disappears, but moving away where I am in those screenshots comes back to normal.
The second and third screenshots are depending of where of the direction I am. As if I was looking to the right on the third screenshot, the sector looks normal.

On 11/29/2023 at 3:06 AM, Tango said:

the reloading definitely isn't to everyone's liking, and I've gotten similar feedback in the past. I totally see where you're coming from - but I love the reloading minigame so much and the weapons are all balanced around it, so I have no plans to change it myself. appreciate you giving the mod a shot at all though! 

The issue is not even quite just reloading or not, but a lot of the issue is also the implementation. Like not being able to switch weapons while reloading, which seems to not really have a clear reason for it and only causes more frustration.

Been 9 months since the last wad I played. Screenshots of this one caught my eye. And seeing it was made with Supercharge I knew I must give it a try. Absolutely masterful craftmanship and beauty. Having a hub and the option to revisit all the levels and all their parts is always an awesome feature for me. Oh, and music, I don't know how else to describe it but heartwarming, especially the MAP05 one. All in all, smells like Cacoward.

I was playing with RC1 via GZDoom v4.8.2. The very few issues I have encountered in my playthrough (3.5h for 100%) are as follows:

Spoiler

MAP03 - Glitched texture, the same one S3M_XM flagged above:
aDklYQ3m.jpg

MAP03 - Elevator makes sound but doesn't move; had to noclip:

h29rO7tm.jpg

MAP10 - Elevator makes sound but doesn't move; had to noclip:
UIXvyjOm.jpg

MAP15 - The wall didn't come down; had to noclip:

CC9a59Am.jpg

MAP19 - Elevator remained blocked off; had to noclip:

00BZlSEm.jpg

Save files if you want to take a look:

gn-rc1-light-eqagunn.zip

gn-rc1-ruin-eqagunn.zip

One question plagues me though. Is there a way to get teleported to shortcake area now that rocket jumping has been disallowed? :D I'm guessing Diabolist attack might be required now. It works well in MAP10. :)

Console is showing the following errors when loading maps:

Spoiler

MAP03:
Line 15483 has midtex3dimpassible without midtex3d.

MAP07:
Link offset mismatch between sectors 0 and 3097
Link offset mismatch between sectors 0 and 3093

MAP13:
Line 15483 has midtex3dimpassible without midtex3d.

MAP17:
Link offset mismatch between sectors 0 and 3097
Link offset mismatch between sectors 0 and 3093

MAP18:
Unknown bottom texture 'TAN1C' on first side of linedef 697
Unknown bottom texture 'TAN1C' on second side of linedef 697
Unknown bottom texture 'TAN1C' on first side of linedef 703
Unknown bottom texture 'TAN1C' on second side of linedef 703
Unknown bottom texture 'TAN1C' on first side of linedef 706
Unknown bottom texture 'TAN1C' on second side of linedef 706
Unknown bottom texture 'TAN1C' on first side of linedef 782
Unknown bottom texture 'TAN1C' on second side of linedef 782
Unknown bottom texture 'TAN1C' on first side of linedef 792
Unknown bottom texture 'TAN1C' on second side of linedef 792
Unknown bottom texture 'TAN1C' on first side of linedef 845
Unknown bottom texture 'TAN1C' on second side of linedef 845

Edited by eqagunn

• 4 weeks later...

In gardens of mechanus, the elevator by the cyberdemon that raises you to the switch that lowers the platform with the key has broken. it wont raise up.

Screenshot_Doom_20240104_182036.png

• 2 weeks later...

thought i'd share this
image.png.690277480a746952ba9c7aef1ce44e30.pngimage.png.6a2bd776823b48e8a2f070d041bf9e0e.png

the difficulty of sunken sanctuary between casual and medium felt like a huge difference to their garden map counterparts. maybe another invulnerability sphere near the initial lift for them?

outside of that this has been a significantly pleasing experience. i have a nice new chunk of screenshots from this for inspiration in my own work, and your weapon selection is incredibly satisfying. well done. 

I don't get. Where do I get the Gallery key to progress after the first level?

Alright, alright. I missed it, and it was really obvious. My bad.

Edited by Gregor

I just played up until just after the Gallery key and what a joy! Reminds me of Castelvania in the best way. Loved the combat and the little details like grass growing out of the cracks between the brinks on the floor. Very Cool!

The Diabolist from the center of Gardens of Mechanus doesn't teleport in on Tough, and maybe Extreme. This means 100%ing that portrait is impossible on those difficulties. With the help of IDDT and IDCLIP, I managed to find him:image.png.ad8ff0a83c04c2e1d56a75b93fe56030.png

Paradise is pretty good but Godless Night reachs a new level.

Finished this masterpiece... three times (tough, extreme and ruin).

I think that tough is the most enjoyable and balanced dificulty. Extreme is a bit harder but if you already know the maps you can beat it as easily as tough.

Ruin is on another level, only for masochist nerds who enjoy beating over the top battles.

Gotta say it's really strange that MAP07 cannot be completed in nomo due to a "monster-walk-over" linedef on the other side of a wall being the ONLY WAY out of the starting room. I'd argue that that wall just doesn't need to even be there at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally finished my vid playthrough of RC1. WHAT AN EXPERIENCE. Thanks, Tango and gang, I had the most wonderful time. I did a live commentated run of Dance With the Devil which had some deaths, but I really wanted to give it a proper go and managed to land a zero deaths run on Tough difficulty. Wicked fun. :)

Spoiler

Curious about that Wizard's Key ... is there anything I can use it on in the main campaign? I may have been looking in the wrong places, lol.