Subverter [MBF21] - A very normal map

Oh, great map! While there was nothing out of the ordinary about it at all, it was a very normal map through and through, it's certainly worth playing!

Edited by taviow

Very very very normal indeed. 

Spoiler

Awesome map except for the end. I was really let down by that slaughter section. Didn't end up finishing it. Which is a pity because it was quite enjoyable up to that point. :/ 7/10 for creativity 

Cool map.  Here's an FDA: noisy_subverter_rc1.zip

I almost muted D_RUNNIN on start, but I decided not to given the nature of the OP...  funny stuff overall

For the big slaughter fight, you should've made that lowering exit last forever, and either make it fake (maybe too predictable given the previous setups) or provide another way out.

Dude, what the fuck.

Spoiler

This might be the first map I've played that has genuinely made me laugh out loud. The double fake-out near the end really got me.

17 minutes ago, NoisyVelvet said:

Cool map.  Here's an FDA: noisy_subverter_rc1.zip

Hide contents

I almost muted D_RUNNIN on start, but I decided not to given the nature of the OP...  funny stuff overall

Hide contents

For the big slaughter fight, you should've made that lowering exit last forever, and either make it fake (maybe too predictable given the previous setups) or provide another way out.

Spoiler

That's a hilarious idea. I have a ton of unused gags that didn't make it in because it already felt a little too dense. Future maps in this style, maybe!

51 minutes ago, dmh094 said:

Very very very normal indeed. 

Hide contents

Awesome map except for the end. I was really let down by that slaughter section. Didn't end up finishing it. Which is a pity because it was quite enjoyable up to that point. :/ 7/10 for creativity 

Sorry to let you down! Nothing's for everyone but hey thanks for playing.  <3

Ultimately a very regular experience, I'm sure.

Haven't finished it yet, but it's a very normal and very fun map!

Spoiler

this is like myhouse.wad if it stayed closer to normal doom and i love it

sorry im new to the doom mod scene, ive got doom 1.9, prboom+, chocolate doom and the latest gzdoom. ive got all of the base wads from steam and everythings been working fine but ive never seen: MBF21 REQUIRED before. is there some other version or sourceport im not aware of i should be using? its hard to keep up hah.

edit: found dsda on github, ill figure it out. 

edit 2: ok it didnt come with a exe so i got the launcher it mentioned in the readme but im not seeing anything to run in the dsda stuff.

edit3: apparently it should have an exe, it didnt download with one. i give up.

Edited by Enkidu91
found solution.

The normalest of all maps. I liked it.

Spoiler

Given my custom rank, you bet I loved the use of fake floors in this map. I did IDDQD the slaughter section though, I'm not built for those, I lack the patience.

7 minutes ago, Enkidu91 said:

sorry im new to the doom mod scene, ive got doom 1.9, prboom+, chocolate doom and the latest gzdoom. ive got all of the base wads from steam and everythings been working fine but ive never seen: MBF21 REQUIRED before. is there some other version or sourceport im not aware of i should be using? its hard to keep up hah.

edit: found dsda on github, ill figure it out. 

If you're using a batch file or command line arguments to launch the game, make sure you include '-complevel 21' in there somewhere. If you're using a fancy launcher, find where it lets you set the compatibility level and make sure it's set to '21' or 'MBF21'. 

Or if you never do any of that, in dsda-doom, in Options -> General, you can scroll over to miscellaneous and set your default compatibility level to 'mbf21' like I have here, and then probably restart dsda-doom:
image.png.c7264c432df3e6cab7730fbfba9b8db1.png

In future, if you're on Windows, I have a launcher specifically designed to be underfeatured and easy to use for newer players, which you can get here if you need it: https://sobad.itch.io/minimalist-doom-launcher

ZDL is also a hugely popular launcher and is just better if you like crazy modded experiences with GZDoom. 

ive got zdl and dsda launcher, but i cant find the dsda exe anywhere, and when i use the launcher it keeps failing so its bedtime for now. i give up. and ive got no clue what batch file or command line arguments are but i really appreciate the help.

maybe someone will make a video of the level. 

Edited by Enkidu91

Speaking of compatibility settings: my favorite part about really normal maps like these is that I can immediately tell when I haven't loaded them properly, since I know only normal stuff will happen in them, and I won't have to wonder whether I am fool for using the wrong settings or missing puzzley progression.

Spoiler

Excellent music choice using Havana Smooth with this map.

1 hour ago, SoBad said:
  Reveal hidden contents

That's a hilarious idea. I have a ton of unused gags that didn't make it in because it already felt a little too dense. Future maps in this style, maybe!

Sorry to let you down! Nothing's for everyone but hey thanks for playing.  <3

Ultimately a very regular experience, I'm sure.

Didn't let me down haha :P slaughter stuff just isn't my cup of tea.

Can't wait to try a normal map for a change.

edit: ok played your very normal map. it was normal. twitch hilite coming soon.

Spoiler

here's the vod until i make a hilite of it down the road... https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1961352620

Edited by TheShep
played the normal map... added vod to spoiler.

YES! got it working! @SoBad thank you! using dsda and the option like you showed me, and just dragged it on, had to find my steam version of the doom wad and put a copy in the folder with dsda to get it to work. 

edit: now ive got dsda, prboom+, chocolate, gz, and multiple launchers. Let me know if im missing anything haha

Edited by Enkidu91

Why do I get the feeling this is not gonna be just normal.... lol.

Gonna try it out!

Side topic is GZDoom known to not work properly with MBF21?

24 minutes ago, Finnisher said:

Side topic is GZDoom known to not work properly with MBF21?

It does support it, but apparently some mappers do not consider it good practice to report problems they encounter, so they'd be kinda hard to fix if the people who would certainly do it do not know about it?

2 hours ago, dmh094 said:

Didn't let me down haha :P slaughter stuff just isn't my cup of tea.

Hey did you play in GZDoom by chance? That room is completely different (and broken) in GZDoom

20 minutes ago, Nirvana said:

This didn't work in Doomsday where can I report?

I have an idea what you are hinting at, but let's not forget that GZDoom does officially support MBF21 and Doomsday does not, there's a major difference between trying to play a mod on a port that doesn't support its required feature set or one where it doesn't work due to a bug, don't you think?

52 minutes ago, SoBad said:

It's a complicated setup so I'll have to figure out what the issue actually is another day. But will do!

I think it's enough if you start by describing / showing what goes wrong. If you can narrow it down to the actual problem ofc helps but just show how it breaks.

Wow, that was SoBad

An actually good meme level with some rather solid fights. That final fight was a doozy

Spoiler

also the first time I did the lava/archvile fight the viles didn't attack me (DSDA Doom 0.25.6). I assume that's a bug on my end and is unintended? 

2 hours ago, SoBad said:

Hey did you play in GZDoom by chance? That room is completely different (and broken) in GZDoom

I think so.