dsda-doom v0.27.5 [2023-12-03]

It is possible to remove cmd window when starting DSDA-Doom? If it can not be done, please add this feature, because the cmd window is very annoying. Leave it for whose who want it.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, riderr3 said:

It is possible to remove cmd window when starting DSDA-Doom? If it can not be done, please add this feature, because the cmd window is very annoying. Leave it for whose who want it.

Annoying how?

edit:

I guess the ENDOOM will show only if you launch DSDA from cmd and NOT if you drag&drop..

Edited by CacoKnight

14 hours ago, riderr3 said:

Unfortunately not. This is a weird thing about Windows - whether the cmd window appears is determined at compile time and cannot be set dynamically (say, through a config key). You could rebuild the program to not show the window, but then the ENDOOM feature wouldn't work. On other OSes this isn't an issue, there's no separate terminal window but the ENDOOM appears in the terminal if it's launched through one.

The best I've been able to do on Windows is to start the cmd window minimized:

start /min cmd.exe /c dsda-doom.exe %*

Put that in a batch file and launch that instead of dsda-doom.exe. I haven't tested it in a while since I don't boot into Windows often, but I think that's the right script.

Please use a frontend, it's much cleaner, more intuitive, and better for loading whatever minor/major mods you might want to play with. I recommend Doom Runner:

7 hours ago, Shepardus said:

Unfortunately not. This is a weird thing about Windows - whether the cmd window appears is determined at compile time and cannot be set dynamically (say, through a config key). You could rebuild the program to not show the window, but then the ENDOOM feature wouldn't work. On other OSes this isn't an issue, there's no separate terminal window but the ENDOOM appears in the terminal if it's launched through one.

To be honest, but here the ENDOOM implementation is poor. I wanted to ENDOOM window appears normally (or just turned off via settings) like in PRBoom-Plus, GZDoom, e.t.c, not for millisecond and without that cmd window at the program start (I'm on Win10).

7 hours ago, Shepardus said:

The best I've been able to do on Windows is to start the cmd window minimized:

start /min cmd.exe /c dsda-doom.exe %*

Put that in a batch file and launch that instead of dsda-doom.exe. I haven't tested it in a while since I don't boot into Windows often, but I think that's the right script.

It's might be useful, but not helps when you testing wads in Ultimate Doom Builder or launching wads via ZDL launcher.

3 hours ago, riderr3 said:

I wanted to ENDOOM window appears normally (or just turned off via settings) like in PRBoom-Plus, GZDoom, e.t.c, not for millisecond and without that cmd window at the program start (I'm on Win10).

Agree 100% but if that's the only way on DSDA I'm going to show it anyway :)

4 hours ago, riderr3 said:

It's might be useful, but not helps when you testing wads in Ultimate Doom Builder or launching wads via ZDL launcher.

You can point ZDL to a script instead of a .exe file and it'll launch just fine. The "%*" in the script I shared ensures that parameters given to the script are passed through to dsda-doom.

Guys, wtf is quicksave? I saved a main one then keep hitting F6 and when I loaded the save none of the quicksaves saved there? Is there a way to load a quicksave?

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, CacoKnight said:

Guys, wtf is quicksave? I saved a main one then keep hitting F6 and when I loaded the save none of the quicksaves saved there? Is there a way to load a quicksave?

In dsda-doom the quicksave is separate from the main save dialog, you use the quickload key to load it.

Edited by Shepardus

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, ConMan3222 said:

To quickload is to push F9.

Geez thank you, I thought I tried all of them ..all there on the second page of the key bindings, I do so much in real life that sometimes I get lost with stupid little things in Doom it's crazy.

Edited by CacoKnight

2 minutes ago, CacoKnight said:

Geez thank you, I thought I tried all of them ..all there on the second page of the key bindings, I do so much in real life that sometimes I get lost with stupid little things in Doom it's crazy.

Yeah. No problem.

2 minutes ago, CacoKnight said:

Something else, now I made sure to check but I don't see any key for that, is there a way to CLEAR a quicksave?

Just press DELETE on your keyboard.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, ConMan3222 said:

Just press DELETE on your keyboard.

I know for the saves but the quicksave? I tried F9 and still loaded the quicksave from 2 maps before, the new normal save is there but quicksaves never get replaced unless you press F6 again correct? I'll check the data folder as well in a second if there are different files for quicksaves.

edit:

dsda-doom-savegame0.dsg < I think this one is the normal save.

dsda-doom-savegame255.dsg < this has to be the one for the quicksave, yep, deleted and F9 says "no save file"

Now that I know quicksaves actually save a file and don't reset on their own I kind of like them more than normal saves, they are very convenient.

Edited by CacoKnight

Posted (edited)

One more thing, as you can see from the screenshots going to the automap from the Normal HUD and going from the Full HUD, the KIS only has one setting line in DSDAHUD.lmp (stat_totals 2 18 bottom_left) so it's impossible to show it in different locations depending where you're coming from. Is there a way to fix this or maybe add another line? Maybe there is a way to hide the map name and show it with DSDAHUD on the top left? No idea, just reporting what I'm seeing. Thank you.

doom00.png

doom02.png

doom04.png

doom06.png

edit:

I could do 24 and 32 or move it to the top left honestly..

stat_totals 2 24 bottom_left
//composite_time 2 32 bottom_left

..it's not a big deal. I mostly use the Normal HUD that's why I'm asking if there are two setting lines, once set higher for the Full HUD it will look weird going from the Normal HUD.

edit2:

Or just show them the old way in doom font on the top left. Yeah, that's not going to work, it overlaps big maps too much.

edit3:

Ended up using this:

stat_totals 2 24 bottom_left
//composite_time 2 32 bottom_left

Sorry guys, couldn't decide until I posted here and started to think about it :)

Edited by CacoKnight

Guys, one more "one more", is there a way to use the gray invulnerability? I mean like using a .wad/.lmp in the autoload folder so it loads everywhere? I noticed NUTS.WAD (just the 1 not 2 and 3) has it with DSDA and it's much much better than the "white/light gray one". Thank you.

31 minutes ago, CacoKnight said:

Guys, one more "one more", is there a way to use the gray invulnerability? I mean like using a .wad/.lmp in the autoload folder so it loads everywhere? I noticed NUTS.WAD (just the 1 not 2 and 3) has it with DSDA and it's much much better than the "white/light gray one". Thank you.

Invulnerability is part of COLORMAP, so you can just export the one from Nuts and put it in your autoload. You may run into conflicts if other WADs define their own PLAYPAL or COLORMAP.

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Shepardus said:

Invulnerability is part of COLORMAP, so you can just export the one from Nuts and put it in your autoload. You may run into conflicts if other WADs define their own PLAYPAL or COLORMAP.

How does it work in the new Woof!? Can we export/use that one in a different port?

Edited by CacoKnight

29 minutes ago, CacoKnight said:

bmap.zip - Here, throw this in your autoload folder. All I did was graft the invulnerability row from Nuts' colormap lump onto the vanilla colormap lump. If you want to do this for other WADs, just cut out the first row up from the bottom and paste it into the same spot on the new colormap, import the PNG into slade, convert it to Doom Flat (Paletted), and save it as a new WAD. This may not work with WADs that radically alter the color palette. I would recommend keeping any modified colormaps as their own separate WADs instead of replacing the colormap within the WADs themselves.

Posted (edited)
On 3/15/2024 at 7:08 PM, Maribo said:

bmap.zip - Here, throw this in your autoload folder. All I did was graft the invulnerability row from Nuts' colormap lump onto the vanilla colormap lump. If you want to do this for other WADs, just cut out the first row up from the bottom and paste it into the same spot on the new colormap, import the PNG into slade, convert it to Doom Flat (Paletted), and save it as a new WAD. This may not work with WADs that radically alter the color palette. I would recommend keeping any modified colormaps as their own separate WADs instead of replacing the colormap within the WADs themselves.

Beautiful, thank you, already tested and working perfectly!

Edited by CacoKnight

I've noticed that DSDA-Doom v0.27.5 crashes when using mods.

I am using Windows 10 Pro.

I've tested with The Ultimate Doom as well as Doom 2, using Perkristian's high resolution sound effects, as well as the corresponding Roland SC-55 music packs for each game.

The Ultimate Doom crashes after 7 minutes and 58 seconds, while Doom 2 crashes after 10 minutes and 28 seconds.

Final Doom also crashes with these mods, but I haven't timed these.

Any idea what could be causing these crashes?

Posted (edited)

Has anyone ever successfully built DSDA on FreeBSD? Is there a guide/instructions? I see it's in the OpenBSD ports but nothing for FreeBSD. Thank you.

Edited by CacoKnight

On 3/16/2024 at 9:37 AM, Dinoaur said:

I've noticed that DSDA-Doom v0.27.5 crashes when using mods.

I am using Windows 10 Pro.

I've tested with The Ultimate Doom as well as Doom 2, using Perkristian's high resolution sound effects, as well as the corresponding Roland SC-55 music packs for each game.

The Ultimate Doom crashes after 7 minutes and 58 seconds, while Doom 2 crashes after 10 minutes and 28 seconds.

Final Doom also crashes with these mods, but I haven't timed these.

Any idea what could be causing these crashes?

If you're using the FLAC version of the musicpacks, try the OGG instead. You may be hitting this bug: https://github.com/libsdl-org/SDL_mixer/issues/511

On 3/20/2024 at 2:53 PM, mikeday said:

If you're using the FLAC version of the musicpacks, try the OGG instead. You may be hitting this bug: https://github.com/libsdl-org/SDL_mixer/issues/511

I do use FLAC, and I can confirm that using OGG instead solves the crash.

Now I'm just waiting for a patch, hopefully we'll have one soon.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Does anyone have the GZDoom automap color palette?

edit:

Found it: https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/woof/blob/master/src/am_map.c#L2303

edit2:

My version (pink secrets, pink revealed secrets and lightgreen exit):

# Automap settings
mapcolor_back                   139
mapcolor_grid                   70
mapcolor_wall                   239
mapcolor_fchg                   135
mapcolor_cchg                   76
mapcolor_clsd                   0
mapcolor_rkey                   176
mapcolor_bkey                   200
mapcolor_ykey                   231
mapcolor_rdor                   176
mapcolor_bdor                   200
mapcolor_ydor                   231
mapcolor_tele                   200
mapcolor_secr                   251
mapcolor_revsecr                251
mapcolor_exit                   112
mapcolor_unsn                   100
mapcolor_flat                   95
mapcolor_sprt                   4
mapcolor_item                   4
mapcolor_hair                   97
mapcolor_sngl                   209
mapcolor_me                     112
mapcolor_enemy                  177
mapcolor_frnd                   112

Edited by CacoKnight

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I keep getting HTTP errors when trying to download. Is this just a problem on my end?

EDIT: Seems to work for now.

Edited by Scorcher
Forgot to edit lol

How's development coming along? Any chance we can expect a new build soon?