Scream 7

Eurisko

As a massive fan of the Scream franchise and slashers in general I was shocked to see the exit of Jenna Ortega and Melissa berrera over the last few days. 

What is everyones take on this and what will we get in the end? If a film materialises at all? 

Here’s a few articles if you haven’t seen any if this. 

https://me.ign.com/en/movies/215488/news/scream-7-reportedly-eyeing-neve-campbell-return-after-recent-upheaval

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3789185/scream-7-new-report-sheds-light-on-the-current-plans/

Spyglass Media Group fired Scream franchise star Melissa Barrera from her leading role in the upcoming Scream 7, Deadline reported, after she posted support for Palestinian liberation and condemned Israel's ongoing violence in Gaza following the October 7 Hamas attack in neighboring Israeli towns.

If this is true that's incredibly stupid. Otherwise in Ortega's case it's due to film scheduling conflicts or something.

I didn't love but I didn't hate the new storyline and characters, The Core Four was imo cheesily executed as none of the characters are particularly super charismatic like the originals, but it looks like that isn't going to be a thing for much longer. I don't know how I feel about the return of Sidney if it happens, not against it but I'm also not sure how they're going to continue making her life hell after having a kid in the universe.

Edited by Lila Feuer

52 minutes ago, Eurisko said:

What is everyones take on this and what will we get in the end?

I am surprised that there are so many Scream movies to begin with. To me, it still feels like yesterday when Scream 4 came out and people did not seem all that enthusiastic about it; I guess it must have done well enough to warrant three more movies. Personally, I have only seen bits of the original Scream and thought it looked insufferable; I am all for meta-humor, but it felt too much on the nose.

That being said, solidarity with Melissa Barrera.

First film is very fresh, sequel was OK but lacking in several ways, the third one is the least liked but I actually like it more than 2. Liked 4, felt like a return to form in a way, 5 was fun, 6 was mostly fun still. Suffice to say I'm a fan.

6 hours ago, Eurisko said:

Jenna Ortega and Melissa Berrera

Anyone who stands up against genocide and injustice has my total respect.

I couldn't care less about the movie, even more so after this move. Hope it becomes a huge flop.

As for those awesome and brave señoritas? They'll get plenty of bookings/opportunities for other movies. 

Edited by OniriA

24 minutes ago, DNSKILL5 said:

Scream should’ve stopped at 3 in my opinion. 

I have seen all up to 4. I... kind of remember bits of 2. I think. I don't remember a damned thing about 3 or 4. Subsequently haven't bothered with 5 and 6. I watched the Dewey death scene out of morbid curiosity and thought it was pure cringe. Like dude, have you learned nothing? Put one between his eyes.

So honestly, should have stopped with the first for me. Horror franchises, more than any other movie type, have a tendency to overstay their welcome.

Edited by Murdoch

It's time for this franchise to die.

The first trilogy was okay, albeit with steadily declining quality. I only saw the fourth movie when I bought a 4-pack of Blu-rays, and hated it. The three utterly stupid prologues were enough to spoil it for me, but what came after was a mere shadow of the originals. I never bothered with 5 and when 6 was made without Neve Campbell, I knew it was over.

Whatever comes next can only fail, but Hollywood never seems to realize when a franchise has run out of steam.

54 minutes ago, Professor Hastig said:

Whatever comes next can only fail, but Hollywood never seems to realize when a franchise has run out of scream.

FTFY

Everything I like eventually dies anyway. BETRAYAL!

Why is Scream still going on? It's like Hellraiser where they should have stopped after the third movie..